How many devices can you install in your car?

Solar

Turbocharged

jus curious.. how many devices can you install in your car before maxing it out in terms of power output?

eg.

gps receiver

pda

mp3 player

fm transmitter

dvd player

lcd

in addition to the standard ice, radio, air con in the car?

and if it maxes out, will a battery upgrade do?

↡ Advertisement

you should be concerned with the amp drawing the power for your sub, even with bigger battery, you have to check if your alternator can charge. So far this is what i know with my limited knowledge.

Turbocharged

that means that if there is really a need to upgrade, alternator also need to be done up as well?

so far i've not maxed out yet.. but my car battery seems puny (comparing to those inside some conti cars). dunno if its from the jap factory, or 'kelong' by the AD.

my wife has been bugging me to buy a lcd+dvd player (the strap on type) to pacify my kid in the backseat, but i'm skeptical if the car battery can handle, as i already have the pda/gps/mp3/fm-tx in the car, in addition to the ICE + standards

one thing, the apexi showing 11.7 to 12volts.. its not a useful indication of the loading ya?

sorry for so many questions.. i'm a noob on this.

11.7-12v is seriously low.You might in fact be using too much power with all your accessories. You should be getting over 12V to 13V for regular usage.

Most of us even with al the ICE and big amps, still get a constance 13.5v ad over.

nly when we really blast do we get 12v...

If you are getting 12 and below without having any big amps or blasting music, i'm guessing you are stressing your battery and alternator too much.

Try changing to a bigger capacity battery.

most car come with really small battries, like a 45amp battery which is really too small...

Try chaing to something like 55 or 66...should cost you more than $80-100.

Turbocharged

thanks bro, that's why i'm thinking about the battery first.

but as bro slowmo mentioned, alternator may be an issue too.

from your experience, shall i upgrade both?

i dunno what amp is my battery, but physically, it looks small..

hopefully, the AD didn't give me an old one.. just got my ride less than a year.

my ice is stock from the factory: 1 amp, subwoofer, 13 speakers.

seldom blast though.. only classical/barney [laugh]

Step by step...

Change the battery first...usually that's enough...i'm guessing you're driving a Legacy...and that's a 2L car. Most 2L cars come with bigger alternators so it should not be an issue.

Sometimes, although the aternator is big enough to charge the battery, the battery is not big enough to keep supplying the power you need. Changing to a bigger battery would usually help.

Alternators dun usually need changing unless you're one of those crazy SPL guys that blast like 20000W of power :)

Most normal users, even with alot of devices, wouldn't need a change of alternator, esp when you're driving a 2L car.

Turbocharged

okie.. i'll proceed to buy that dvd player.. got problem then upgrade battery.

thanks guys

↡ Advertisement