Run Flat Tyres

Jeffrey

6 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I used to change the RFT in my F30 and F10 because the ride was pretty harsh. Not sure whether they were due to old tech or what.

Now the RFT tyres on my G30 feel ok, as I don't feel any urge to change to normal tyres. I'm sure people who are using the new RFT tyres can tell the difference compared to the older generations. I don't think I will switch to the normal ones after my current RFT run bald as they ride ok and gave me additional assurance. And no, I don't drive to Malaysia. 

Pirelli P Zero RFT?

I agree they are not overly harsh and I kinda like a harder ride (not floaty Toyota drive for me please) but PS4S is according to many and my butt feel, way ahead. Hence the dilemma, especially as the price between the 2 are really close.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/01/26/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s-new-best-summer-tire/

Michelin’s toughest competitors in the segment are the Pirelli P Zero and Goodyear Eagle F1. The P Zero is often regarded for its traction on a damp track and steering feedback, features that were quickly matched by the Michelin’s PS4S.  Under full load through the autocross course, the PS4S felt more stable and planted on the asphalt, while the P Zero loses some of its traction under full load. When it came to the Eagle F1, the tire was stable in wet conditions, just like the PS4S, but on the dry surface, it lost its edge to the Michelin’s PS4S with its enormous lateral grip.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Tires are the best mod to “play” on a car. It’s a wear item and has the most bang for buck. So go ahead and try out. Worse comes to worse, you still can flog it off on carousel and get some back. 

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I used to change the RFT in my F30 and F10 because the ride was pretty harsh. Not sure whether they were due to old tech or what.

Now the RFT tyres on my G30 feel ok, as I don't feel any urge to change to normal tyres. I'm sure people who are using the new RFT tyres can tell the difference compared to the older generations. I don't think I will switch to the normal ones after my current RFT run bald as they ride ok and gave me additional assurance. And no, I don't drive to Malaysia. 

Can share what were the RFTs in your F30 and F10 then and in your current G30?

I find the Pirelli P7 RFT in F30 was pretty ok but BS T001 RFT in F48 is noisy. 

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

Pirelli P Zero RFT?

I agree they are not overly harsh and I kinda like a harder ride (not floaty Toyota drive for me please) but PS4S is according to many and my butt feel, way ahead. Hence the dilemma, especially as the price between the 2 are really close.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/01/26/michelin-pilot-sport-4-s-new-best-summer-tire/

Michelin’s toughest competitors in the segment are the Pirelli P Zero and Goodyear Eagle F1. The P Zero is often regarded for its traction on a damp track and steering feedback, features that were quickly matched by the Michelin’s PS4S.  Under full load through the autocross course, the PS4S felt more stable and planted on the asphalt, while the P Zero loses some of its traction under full load. When it came to the Eagle F1, the tire was stable in wet conditions, just like the PS4S, but on the dry surface, it lost its edge to the Michelin’s PS4S with its enormous lateral grip.

Mine is Eagle F1A3 RFT stock from PML. I think my G30 doesn't really need performance tyres leh. The incremental improvement is limited by the capability of the car. My 530i is just a entry level family sedan mostly driven on the expressway and on jammed roads.

I appreciate there are better tyres, and happy for you if you are using them, but I opt for the added protection the RFT accorded, albeit only in use on local road.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 2

20 minutes ago, Rskc said:

I cannot remember the ones on the F10 and F30 because I switched to normal tyres shortly after I bought the car. I can only remember their hardness and overall harshness. The G30 is Eagle F1A3 RFT.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 1

4 hours ago, Rskc said:

My F30 stock RFT were BS Potenza S001 - very noisy and didn't handle wet roads well.

Switched to Pirelli P7 RFT - much quieter and very good grip, even on ponded expressways.

All things considered, I will stick with RFTs for the benefits of getting tyres fixed at my convenience when kena nail(s).

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, redstuff said:

My F30 stock RFT were BS Potenza S001 - very noisy and didn't handle wet roads well.

Switched to Pirelli P7 RFT - much quieter and very good grip, even on ponded expressways.

All things considered, I will stick with RFTs for the benefits of getting tyres fixed at my convenience when kena nail(s).

Me too, same thoughts as you on the convenience part.😉

My previous ride F30 was given the crap ecopia BS RFT. After changing to P7 RFT, it was very good and I had 2 sets of it. I changed my ride to F48 and maybe due to taller cabin and open boot design (SUV), the tyre sound intrusion is much greater. Some F48 owners actually complained RFT P7 is noisy. So now wondering if I should try F1A3 RFT or F1A5 (if it has RFT) once my current BS T001 RFT is up. 

12 hours ago, redstuff said:

those car using rft dun even have spare tyres, can imagine u struck somewhere up north , or even local in the middle of the night with flat tyre/damage tyre. it will give u hell of a day/night 

Edited by Beregond

34 minutes ago, Beregond said:

those car using rft dun even have spare tyres, can imagine u struck somewhere up north , or even local in the middle of the night with flat tyre/damage tyre. it will give u hell of a day/night 

RFT tires, if only kena small nail, will not go flat and is still safe to drive up to 80 kph for 80 km to look for tire shop to patch it up. That's the convenience I was talking about.

If kena 2 nails or the side wall of the tire is damaged, then of course need breakdown service liao. In SG, breakdown service is available 24-hrs and within 30-60 mins they can arrive. So, no issue for me not to have spare tire.

Will certainly have to pack in a repair kit if I travel north, but so far I do not have any plans. So, RFT will suffice for me for now. 🙂

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, redstuff said:

If kena 2 nails or the side wall of the tire is damaged, then of course need breakdown service liao. In SG, breakdown service is available 24-hrs and within 30-60 mins they can arrive. So, no issue for me not to have spare tire.🙂

ya it really save u alot of hassle and troube of stuck on the spot, waiting for help etc.

thats why even benz famous for their emphasize on comfort switch to rft also.

the benefit outweight the negative factor by alot, esp for luxury car owner.

• Praise 1

my personal POV

Non Run flat

wider choice of tyres

lower cost (may be around 15%)

little more comfortable (depending from car to car, friend of mine bmw 645 changed to Non runflat ,ride is just as hard as Stock run flat because of suspension )

Run Flat

99.99 % worry free , allow to continue your Drive and Journey even drop to zero pressure 

T & C , must have pressure sensor to alert the driver and maximum speed 80KM/H and 80 km distance

Pros and Cons

choice is yours and Enjoy 

• Praise 2

44 minutes ago, Roberttan said:

my personal POV

Non Run flat

wider choice of tyres

lower cost (may be around 15%)

little more comfortable (depending from car to car, friend of mine bmw 645 changed to Non runflat ,ride is just as hard as Stock run flat because of suspension )

Run Flat

99.99 % worry free , allow to continue your Drive and Journey even drop to zero pressure 

T & C , must have pressure sensor to alert the driver and maximum speed 80KM/H and 80 km distance

Pros and Cons

choice is yours and Enjoy 

Did your friend pump to the correct pressure?

I had a similar problem when I switch from RFT to Michelin PSS.  But tyre pressure was wrong then.

When I switch to PS4 with the wrong tyre pressure, the car felt like a boat. 

The problem goes away when I pump it 10% higher than recommended tyre pressure.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Did your friend pump to the correct pressure?

I had a similar problem when I switch from RFT to Michelin PSS.  But tyre pressure was wrong then.

When I switch to PS4 with the wrong tyre pressure, the car felt like a boat. 

The problem goes away when I pump it 10% higher than recommended tyre pressure.

Thanks for your sharing, i thought higher tire pressure should be more bumpy ?

anyway will share it with my friend

32 minutes ago, Roberttan said:

Previously I always adjust tyre pressure in accordance with load index.

Some time back, I had a discussion with someone on the topic of my car feel like a boat after a change from RFT to NON-RFT.

The person found BMW recommend a higher tyre pressure when non-RFT is used.

My rear tyres are RFT. The pressure pumped was 38 but it'd go up to 40 after a short drive of 1-2km. 

Expected it to be of harsher ride when I change... but not that bad except whenever going over speed bumps. 

59 minutes ago, Roberttan said:

higher pressure will be bumpy.( only if road got strip or small hole etc) like jumping around

lower pressure will feel floaty the road got abit up and down u can feel already , the feeling like absorber leaking no pressure like that 

but too high will decrease braking distance.  so take note. 

21 minutes ago, Beregond said:

higher pressure will be bumpy.( only if road got strip or small hole etc) like jumping around

lower pressure will feel floaty the road got abit up and down u can feel already , the feeling like absorber leaking no pressure like that 

but too high will decrease braking distance.  so take note. 

As usual, you miss the point.  De

↡ Advertisement