Run Flat Tyres

Jeffrey

An article on run flat tyre.

Although it is also an ad but I think some information are useful

https://m.sgcarmart.com/articles/articleinfo.php?CT=a&AID=411&GASRC=sgcm

Did anybody made the switch from normal to RFT. Considering it as my wife is the primary driver.

I don't think anyone will change from Normal Tyres to RFT,the RFT are Heavy,expensive & very little choice...may i know what Car you drive.?

Woman driver needs a RFT

Man don't.

Just fit a TPMS on the Woman's car will do...once any Tyre lose Air..it will warn the Driver....fitting RFT to a Car not design for Run Flat...can cause premature Suspension Wear....

• Praise 1

Just fit a TPMS on the Woman's car will do...once any Tyre lose Air..it will warn the Driver....fitting RFT to a Car not design for Run Flat...can cause premature Suspension Wear....

Trouble is most women don't even know the existence of rear mirror, let alone a tpms with numbers that dont made sense to them.

Trouble is most women don't even know the existence of rear mirror, let alone a tpms with numbers that dont made sense to them.

Not all lah. [:(] ..there are some Ladies..can even drive Buses. [laugh]

• Praise 2

Women do know the existence of a rear mirror!! It is for the sole purpose of applying makeup when the car is stationery at the traffic lights; regardless of the honking going on behind them asking them to move.  [:p]

• Praise 1

On 6/29/2019 at 11:02 AM, inlinesix said:

Dump that RFT & put on PS4S.

Pre-Covid, I drive north at least twice a year, thinking of switching from RFT (Pirelli) to non RFT Michelin PS4S. 

I have had punctured tyres before but never had the need to change tyres at road side in last 20 years. Given the prevalence of tyre shops up north, didn't think it is such a big risk. SG don't bother me at all.

It might make sense to just go back to RFT but i haven't read any RFT tyres that come close to the performance and longevity of PS4S. Any recommendation and thoughts?

35 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Pre-Covid, I drive north at least twice a year, thinking of switching from RFT (Pirelli) to non RFT Michelin PS4S. 

I have had punctured tyres before but never had the need to change tyres at road side in last 20 years. Given the prevalence of tyre shops up north, didn't think it is such a big risk. SG don't bother me at all.

It might make sense to just go back to RFT but i haven't read any RFT tyres that come close to the performance and longevity of PS4S. Any recommendation and thoughts?

The only RFT I used is stock tyre.  I used PSS and now on PS4.

Ride comfort is so much better ever since I dump RFT.  In addition, the drive (hard to explain extract feeling) has improved a lot.

I have confident driving on the wet road especially ponding expressway.

When you change to non-RFT, rem to pump increase tyre pressure by 10%.  Otherwise, it will feel like a boat.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

The only RFT I used is stock tyre.  I used PSS and now on PS4.

Ride comfort is so much better ever since I dump RFT.  In addition, the drive (hard to explain extract feeling) has improved a lot.

I have confident driving on the wet road especially ponding expressway.

When you change to non-RFT, rem to pump increase tyre pressure by 10%.  Otherwise, it will feel like a boat.

Yes, i have never been on RFT till current ride, it feels ok but I am longing to change back to non RFT. A friend drives the same car running on Non RFT and I feel the handing is sharper. 

So you have been running north on non RFT and without a sparse all these years? 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Yes, i have never been on RFT till current ride, it feels ok but I am longing to change back to non RFT. A friend drives the same car running on Non RFT and I feel the handing is sharper. 

So you have been running north on non RFT and without a sparse all these years? 

I have been running north even since PSS.

Over the past 3 years, I drive up every 2 mths.

I even drove once to and fro from Malacca to Cameron Highland in a day.

I carry Slime pump in the boot.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Changed out of RFT to Michelin. 

Cannot stand the whirring sound and harsher ride. 

• Praise 3

51 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Same same. I do not think I will go back to RFT. Maybe when the airless tyres appear then change to that to try.

• Praise 2

29 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Same same. I do not think I will go back to RFT. Maybe when the airless tyres appear then change to that to try.

RFT definite has its safety and convenience benefits. 

But really cannot stand it. 

Once is enough 😂

Maybe use the bicycle technology, fill up with light weight foam in tubeless tyres 

a bit like run flat but probably less harsh 

• Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

RFT definite has its safety and convenience benefits. 

But really cannot stand it. 

Once is enough 😂

Maybe use the bicycle technology, fill up with light weight foam in tubeless tyres 

a bit like run flat but probably less harsh 

Just carry Slime pump

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Atonchia said:

My BMW 1st Day,Car collection,changed to PS4.

• Praise 1

I used to change the RFT in my F30 and F10 because the ride was pretty harsh. Not sure whether they were due to old tech or what.

Now the RFT tyres on my G30 feel ok, as I don't feel any urge to change to normal tyres. I'm sure people who are using the new RFT tyres can tell the difference compared to the older generations. I don't think I will switch to the normal ones after my current RFT run bald as they ride ok and gave me additional assurance. And no, I don't drive to Malaysia. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1