Run Flat Tyres

Jeffrey

Gain something you lost? What do you mean?

advantages of run flat tire

)allow you to continue your journey in the event of punctured , no stop of your car is required to change spare wheels

as we know we have more and more express way

) it can be very dangerous to have sudden punctured at high speed or negotiating corner and bend.

(this is rare but it does happened )

disadvantaged of run flat tires

higher cost (may be ard 40% )

less comfort (subjective)

noisier (subjective)

just MHO

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

From the manual and car door sticker.

attachicon.gifA6 Tyre selection 001.jpg

attachicon.gifA6 Tyre selection 002.jpg

I am considering upgrade tyre to 18" and run flats.

Current tyre is michelin primacy hp 17".

base on the info above (provided by Audi )

225/50/18 should fit 7.5 inch width rim which is not common in the open market

most 18inch wheel in open market is 8 to 8.5 inch with for 18inch rim

for  8inch width can accept both 225/50/18 and 245/45/18 tire size

8inch width rim can still accept your 225/50/18 but why this rare size ?(is common for normal tire )

do bare in mind , run flat tires will be less comfort (read more about pros and cons before you proceed)

go for runflat tires if you scare to handle puncture situation.

advantages of run flat tire

)allow you to continue your journey in the event of punctured , no stop of your car is required to change spare wheels

as we know we have more and more express way

) it can be very dangerous to have sudden punctured at high speed or negotiating corner and bend.

(this is rare but it does happened )

disadvantaged of run flat tires

higher cost (may be ard 40% )

less comfort (subjective)

noisier (subjective)

just MHO

Another advantage no need spare tyre save weight and fuel also space on boot

But ur disadvantages are true, its less comfy for same P7 cinturato than i had on current car ( runflat) compared to prev car (non run flat). Also run flat tyre indeed produce more road noise

Just to add. The lady also advise me to not go with the odd size tyre cos in case need to change tyre, then will have to wait long long long as it is not a popular size.

225.50.17 have wat.

from wat i know 235.50.17 is as odd as 225.50.17 lol

hankook and good year can check around,

good luck 

base on the info above (provided by Audi )

225/50/18 should fit 7.5 inch width rim which is not common in the open market

most 18inch wheel in open market is 8 to 8.5 inch with for 18inch rim

for  8inch width can accept both 225/50/18 and 245/45/18 tire size

8inch width rim can still accept your 225/50/18 but why this rare size ?(is common for normal tire )

do bare in mind , run flat tires will be less comfort (read more about pros and cons before you proceed)

go for runflat tires if you scare to handle puncture situation.

Thanks.

I looking at driving to Phuket next year. Have just confirmed with PA that Gasohol 95 can be used for my A6.

So thinking of going for run flat tyres. No spare tyre in the car now so a bit worried for the long road trip.

If cannot find 225/50/R18 suitable tyres, I will stick to my stock 17" rim. Just need to clean those rims more often. I hate these many spokes rims. And this Audi car produces lots of brake dusts. [:|]

Edited by Adrianli

225.50.17 have wat.

from wat i know 235.50.17 is as odd as 225.50.17 lol

hankook and good year can check around,

good luck 

For 17", its 225/55/R17

For 18", its 225/50/R18. This is the one that is not readily available.

• Praise 1

Thanks.

I looking at driving to Phuket next year. Have just confirmed with PA that Gasohol 95 can be used for my A6.

So thinking of going for run flat tyres. No spare tyre in the car now so a bit worried for the long road trip.

If cannot find 225/50/R18 suitable tyres, I will stick to my stock 17" rim. Just need to clean those rims more often. I hate these many spokes rims. And this Audi car produces lots of brake dusts. [:|]

from what i know, RFT can only go a certain distance (<100km) in the event of puncture, and this is not applicable in the event of damage to sidewall. It's meant to allow u to go to tyre shop at a reduced speed.

if you are going long distance trip, I think it's still better to carry a full sized spare tyre. Esp if using a size that is pretty rare. i.e. your typical Thai/Malaysia tyre shop may not have it in stock. 

Other options to consider:

1) tyre foam sealer in aerosol can (may damage TPMS, headache when changing tyres)

2) DIY rubber worm plug + air compressor (or go petrol station pump air)

These both don't do anything for damage to sidewall, and only work for small punctures.

• Praise 3

Thanks.

Juz get Slime Tyre Repair kit + a few can of sealant as standby lor. 

Brake dust is normal for German car lah.  Can always change to low brake dust brake pad at outside workshop.

Thanks.

wow long trip and have a safe and enjoyable trip .

my advice or what I will do ,

get all my tires have a detail check (at least 50% and more left ) / re-balance (ask the shop for advice saying you are going for lone trip)

buy a second hand pc of full size spare wheel / loan 1 from others or shop if you know them well (offer some money to be fair to rent the spare ) or borrow 1 from friend

check all the tire pressure again 2to3 days before setting off (remember the spare )

make sure your oe supplied portable pump is working (can do a dry run and feel for any air pressure coming out)

carry a can of temporary repair kit (fast and easy repair)

changing to run flat is another option if you do not plan to carry a spare tires, but what worry me you may not able to find run flat tire up there , also not sure they are capable to change run flat tire ?

along the way check your tire condition and pressure (manually if you do not have tpms)

check your car battery (replace if more than 2 years ) and carry a jumper wire or those portable power charger .

the rest for your car engine and brake etc, please get your mechanic to check

from what i know, RFT can only go a certain distance (<100km) in the event of puncture, and this is not applicable in the event of damage to sidewall. It's meant to allow u to go to tyre shop at a reduced speed.

if you are going long distance trip, I think it's still better to carry a full sized spare tyre. Esp if using a size that is pretty rare. i.e. your typical Thai/Malaysia tyre shop may not have it in stock. 

Other options to consider:

1) tyre foam sealer in aerosol can (may damage TPMS, headache when changing tyres)

2) DIY rubber worm plug + air compressor (or go petrol station pump air)

These both don't do anything for damage to sidewall, and only work for small punctures.

Dear JohnSHL

everything comes with a price

just to clarify , the run flat tire will still able to move in the event od damage to sidewall

the rest is correct as stated by you

thanks for sharing

as for DIY option is an option provided you know how to do and remember it is only for temporary, should you have it done please do not go very fast/ I meant very fast  

Hi all, need some advise. Am going to change my rims from 17 ( run flats) to 18 (non run flat).

Do I need to follow the staggered tyres recommendation on my car door? Or should I not stagger it? What would you guys recommend?

Appreciate the inputs.

Thanks.

Edited by jaspal81
  • Praise 1

Hi all, need some advise. Am going to change my rims from 17 ( run flats) to 18 (non run flat).

Do I need to follow the staggered tyres recommendation on my car door? Or should I not stagger it? What would you guys recommend?

Appreciate the inputs.

Thank

may be can share what car are you driving? and what's the current rim and tires size for both front and rear?

• Praise 1

may be can share what car are you driving? and what's the current rim and tires size for both front and rear?

Thanks for the reply.

Am driving a BMW 120i cabriolet. Current configuration is Front: 205 50 R17. Rear: 225 45 R17.

Thanks for the reply.

Am driving a BMW 120i cabriolet. Current configuration is Front: 205 50 R17. Rear: 225 45 R17.

thanks for sharing

i believe your current ride rim diff width for front and rear (same for your tires size too)

beware of putting same size 225/45/17 on your current rim, some WS don't know the rim diff btw f and r

it is OK to have all 4 same size for 18inch rim and tire size 225/40/18 

thanks for sharing

i believe your current ride rim diff width for front and rear (same for your tires size too)

beware of putting same size 225/45/17 on your current rim, some WS don't know the rim diff btw f and r

it is OK to have all 4 same size for 18inch rim and tire size 225/40/18

I saw the notice on the car door and it recommends :

215/40 front 18

245/35 rear 18

Will it make a big difference to follow the recommended specs?

Edited by jaspal81

I saw the notice on the car door and it recommends :

215/40 front 18

245/35 rear 18

Will it make a big difference to follow the recommended specs?

that is the factory recommended option for your car

for your info 215/40/18 is quite hard to find tire in sg

that is the factory recommended option for your car

for your info 215/40/18 is quite hard to find tire in sg

Yeah I heard that too... so what would you recommend me to do?

Use 225/40 r18 all around or stagger?

↡ Advertisement