Help! Need advice for trip to Cambodia and Vietnam!

Zenith

Neutral Newbie

Anyone been to the 2 countries? Where are the attractions and recommended place to stay?Going for a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia this December, am at a lost trying to plan now... [dead]

↡ Advertisement

it'd be gd if u can at least provide more details of where rough plan?

otw, u better off checking out loner planet or trippinadvisor.

I just came back from Cambodia few weeks ago, spent 3 days 2 nights there but effectively only 1 full day of tour which I think its enough if you only wants to visit the famous 3 temples, which is Angkor Wat, Bayon and Ta Prohm

Hotel I booked via Zuji online at HOtel De La Paix. Its a 5-star hotel, quite ex but worth the money and very centrally located, within minutes to walk to town centre.

It really depends on your needs, what do you want to see. If you want to see all the temples, then 10 days also not enough and if you also want to visit Phenom Pheh, need more time as well BUT the main attraction of Cambodia is the 3 temples listed above in which Lara Croft is filmed, esp in Ta Phrohm, in famous ruined trees' temples which i would say is the MOST MOST worth going...

Else, there's really nothing much to see in cambodia, to understand the history and cultural espects of cambodia would be a different thing though.

Have a nice trip.

You take f&e or package? I think of going to Vietnam too, not Cambodia as I've been there before!

Edited by Fitvip

Neutral Newbie

For Cambodia a friend who is a frequent traveller of Asia, suggested that i spend one day for the temples of angkor. He also suggested that i visit the genocide museum. Anything else i should do or see there?

Vietnam he suggested Cuchi Tunnels at Saigon, Dalat for the scenery and fruits, Muine Beach. Anymore suggestions?

Hi Fit

nice choices. Halong Bay is a to do but if u have been to Guilin, it might not be all that impressive. You can book yourself a space on a boat (Chinese Junk type) and sail in the Bay but not a gd idea if u are prone to motion sickness.

Hanoi is nice if you are prepared for the traffic. The Old Quarters is must go. A look at what Hanoi/ VN town used to be like before urbanization encroaches.

Ho Chi Minh City lacks the quaint and laid back atmosphere but it probably gives u a glimpse of what the rest of VN is headed towards. If you are not going to Mekong/ cu Chi Tunnel, 1.5-2 days is sufficient for HCMC.

Don't forget Central VN: Hue and Hoi An as well. Hue is where the VN Emperor lived and Hoi An is steeped in VN culture.

How abt heading North to Hanoi as Fit is considering?

At Saigon, u can also head out to the Mekong, different way of life compared to urban HCMC unless u are an urban animal like me.

If u are doing Mui Ne, Mekong and CC Tunnel, allocate 4 days (excluding HCMC itself).

Change money when u are in VN, bring SGD, no need to change to USD.

Neutral Newbie

I may consider travelling north if i can allocate enough time. Think such a plan will easily take 2 weeks rite?

Just curious, how come we dont have to change currency before we get there?

currency? stick to US$$.

where to go... head for the large K-O-K built by taiwanese/ hongkies..

wat to do, anything per SAF rules. kena caught tio si hongkan liaoz. becos they still commies.

if cambodia, do b careful, plenty of criminals abound. and a fair bit of them fr singapore, those cannot go back ones.

SGD is readily exchanged here in VN. If u change VND in S'pore, the rate sucks big time.

If u change to USD and then VND, u go thru 2 rounds of exchange.

So just bring SGD and change what u need, not enuff, change again.

Unlike a few years back, the mktplace now readily accepts VND.

Anyone been to the 2 countries? Where are the attractions and recommended place to stay?Going for a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia this December, am at a lost trying to plan now... [dead]

for cambodia, definitely use USD, it's like the 52nd state of the US of A.

and Siem Reap - where angkor wat is - is very expensive for a place like cambodia (don't feel like third world country at all).

hey yo, i travelled Vietnam/Cambodia in one go, took me 19 days.

started at hanoi, took bus all the way to saigon (with 3 or 4 stops, 2-3 days each). Hue and Hoi-an are the must stop along the way. If u are military buff, do check out the infamous DMZ.

from Saigon, i flew into PP, then took boat on Tonle sap to Siam Reap. If you really wanna enjoy what angkor is all abt, 3 days at least. do spend some time and effort to check out Bantaey Srei. At PP, Cheong Ek and Tuol Sleng (killing field and camp) are worth visiting, but mind you, you will not leave happily, much disturbed to be exact.

again, if you are into history of year zero, polpot and khmer rouge, please watch movie Killing Fields (well, if you stay in backpacker's hostel in PP, i guarantee they play it non-stop whole night)

i cant remember the details, do yourself a favour, get a copy of Lonely Planet. (plenty of non-original copies in Hanoi).

enjoy urself, it's gonna be fun.

↡ Advertisement