Pioneer / Alpine Sat Nav/DVD HeadUnit from US

Fluffy

Hi ICE gurus,

i was in the US and i saw some Sat Nav 2DIN headunits from Pioneer and Alpine that is not available in Singapore.

Any problems buying form the US and fitting to our local cars? i know the maps can be bought locally. But was more concerned with the radio, etc.

thanks

fluffy

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Before you buy, make sure they have maps for SG/Malaysia or at least they are compatible with Malsing free maps. If they provide maps, also enquire their frequency of updating the maps. Roads in SG are ever changing so maps get outdated within a couple of years.

Anything thing to take note is the radio frequencies.

The US sets all only have odd number frequencies, so stations like Class 95 and Power 98, you cannot listen....unless you don't care about radio la :)

I bought a US set before and had to sell it back to the US at a big loss because of this...there's no way to reset it...few sets come with switches

for radio, you cannot scan those frequencies for Class 95 and Power 98, etc even if the scanning is digital?

i also heard from someone regarding their FM frequencies for radio......

Yes, even if the scannign is digital, still cannot.

You can manual scan and all you will be able to see if odd numbers, so you will get 94.9 then next is 95.1, you won't get 95.0..its the law in the US...all their stations are odd numbered

Neutral Newbie

Many of these are available in the UK and use the same radio tuning system. In my experience of Pioneer Car Audio you can normally get into the set up and change the radio tuning frequency jumps. I've not had one fo r a couple of years but certainly the last one I had I was able to do it.

As for the maps, a very quick Google for Tele Atlas and I came up with the local agent. Maybe you could try it too.

Neutral Newbie

I just got a pioneer 4300 from USA. Only realized the frequencies problem. Anyone know of any method to solve this problem? Can pioneer Singapore help me re program the set? If cannot it's a small problem because i usually listen to 93.3fm. Although I like 95.0fm also but cannot set. 95.0 has the best reception I feel.

4300 is exactly same as 4350 in Singapore. Anyone knows how to upload gps into the set?

↡ Advertisement