LTA homologation before selling?

Vratenza

Dear all,

Mind sharing what you know about the LTA vehicle "Homologation" process in Singapore? What does it include and how long it usually take?

What I know is that any new model or revision of models like facelift needs to undergo this process before being allowed to be sold here.

Question:

Is it legal for an authorised dealer to sell you a car based on a car that is not even homologated? I mean, after you sign on the paper, later they come tell you the car is being homologated, so delivery will be delayed. In the meanwhile, they drop their car price and you are stuck with the contract.

[shakehead]

↡ Advertisement

homologation/facelift process is only applicable to Authorised Agent where they bring in a particular model in bulk.....

i believe if they have done their studies and prepare all their supporting documents supplied by the manufacturer for submission, it shouldnt take very long for the vehicle to be approved.

if they have promised u the delivery date and fail to deliver the vehicle on time, i think u should be able to claim some damages from them..... most of the time the salesman (be it agent or PI) over-promise and under-deliver.... this is pretty norm in the automotive industry.... nothing new.... everyday u hear ppl crying abt getting their car delievered late.

always the same sh!t story.... bid COE on 1st try and get it, they'll claim the vehicle is not in Singapore yet..... or have the car here, but didnt manage to get hold of the COE for the customer....

Edited by Dynaway

The homologation process is a rather simple one AFAIK. I think authorized stealers have to show proof of the cars meeting certain certains such as JIS or ECC and thereafter send one sample to the test centre for inspection.

That is what I think how it is done.

Ans to your question:

The stealers SHOULD have done their homework and ensure that the new/FL models will be approved before bringing them in so I don't think its a legal issue there.

LTA's standards on cars are copied from other countries in that there are no standards being set up (extensively) by them. Its much like how the Singapore Standards are similar to the British Standards.

BUT are the contracts that I sign legally bind me, if they are in fact selling me a car that was stated as the new revised model. AND this new revised model at the point of signing the contract has not even been homologated. Are they allowed to sell cars that are not homologated yet?????

I read some of the other makes of cars do not even collect orders for the new models until they passed LTA inspection. But for cars like civic FD, some even pre-ordered... but then dunnoe if Kah Motors actually brought in a sample car for that specific purpose of LTA inspection?

Actually the process is quite tedious, in terms of paperwork. Actual physical inspection is usually quite fast if there r no deviation from the paperwork.

Unless u r bringing in a brand new model not available in Spore, there is no need for homologation.

PI gets the car is faster than ADs because they bring in the Domestic Market Model unlike ADs that have to wait for the factory to produce the export model which is more suited for the region that the car's heading to.

They can start taking orders before the homologation process. If unsuccessful, they'll give you a full refund. However, most of the time they accept orders in advance as the ADs are pretty confident that it'll be successful.

About the pricing (you mentioned it was further reduced), most ADs would reduce the price accordingly for their early bird buyers as well.

The homologation process is a rather simple one AFAIK. I think authorized stealers have to show proof of the cars meeting certain certains such as JIS or ECC and thereafter send one sample to the test centre for inspection.

That is what I think how it is done.

Ans to your question:

The stealers SHOULD have done their homework and ensure that the new/FL models will be approved before bringing them in so I don't think its a legal issue there.

LTA's standards on cars are copied from other countries in that there are no standards being set up (extensively) by them. Its much like how the Singapore Standards are similar to the British Standards.

simple??? wat makes u think so...

most of the time the manufacturer will not release those documents unless a certain number of units of the vehicles are actually committed by the agent here....

and that particular model(Japan) are actually constructed to be exported to Europe market.

it does not make sense for a country who do not manufactures any vehicle to have a standard of their own (or unique from others) unless there is a strong reason for them to do so, like protecting their own productions/market.

we are not the only ppl in this world using other's standard... even the Australian do that... they have their ADR(Australia Design Rules) which is equvalent to the EEC/ECE standards, even some of Malaysia's SIRIM are equivalent to the EEC/ECE.

there are a few internationally recognised standards in automotive industry, FMVSS - USA, CMVSS - Canada, ADR - Australia, JSR - Japan, ECE/EEC - Europe

any idea if the PI dealer is flouting the LTA rule when he displays a car in his showroom which has yet to be homologated?

What rule is the PI dealer breaking if he is not selling the car before homologation is complete.

If the PI doesnt bring in the car, how does the dealer present to the LTA for the homologation process?

Dear all,

Mind sharing what you know about the LTA vehicle "Homologation" process in Singapore? What does it include and how long it usually take?

What I know is that any new model or revision of models like facelift needs to undergo this process before being allowed to be sold here.

Question:

Is it legal for an authorised dealer to sell you a car based on a car that is not even homologated? I mean, after you sign on the paper, later they come tell you the car is being homologated, so delivery will be delayed. In the meanwhile, they drop their car price and you are stuck with the contract.

http://www.mycarforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/shakehead.gif

As long as its glc ... anything works

What rule is the PI dealer breaking if he is not selling the car before homologation is complete.

If the PI doesnt bring in the car, how does the dealer present to the LTA for the homologation process?

Think he meant "Displaying in showroom", which is like an offer to purchase, of course dealers bring in cars and send to LTA for inspection, but are they allowed to display the car in their showroom or even advertise the car before the homologation is approved?

↡ Advertisement