MBA - Engineering to Finance

Dearjoshua

Hi,

any advice if an engineer has a good chance to swith his career into finance after getting a MBA? i mean being able to switch without starting at the bottom of the finance ladder.... [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement

I think this will depend greatly on what you have been spending your time on prior to getting your mba. :) At the end of the day, a cert is just a piece of paper, which may on the right occasions, secure you that first interview.

First of all, you need to know which area of finance are you interested in. If you are interested in investment banking or the investment sector, then a CFA would give you a more direct route at less than half the cost of a MBA. IMO, MBA is only useful for one thing : It gives you the ability to network with some pretty talented and outstanding individuals. Having said that, only an MBA from a good school would allow you to have that kind of network and it comes with a pretty hefty price tag. MBA from an average school is just a waste of money to me.

So my advice is this:

1)If you have the $$$, get an MBA from a top school and you are almost assured for life in any management field. (Harvard, Stanford, MIT, UOC, Insead, Oxford, Imperial, etc)

2) If don't have that much of $$$, then get a CFA or ACCA first. They are inexpensive if study home-based but they are very difficult and challenging if studied alone. But if you pass them, you get the direct ruote into financial without starting right at the bottom

3) Once you got some $$$ from your finance job, you can try for (1).

Good luck.

Not exactly. If you have a MBA from Harvard or Stanford, it is you who is going to interview your employer because there is a string of them waiting for your signature.

Honestly, what you have done is the past is not important anymore.

Guys who are out from those schools with a MBA could be rubbing shoulders now with the future corporate leaders of US and the world.

Edited by Starry

without money, the threadstarter wouldn't be starting this thread and asking about MBA.

and although without money, you still can get love and happiness which even money cannot buy.

Edited by Starry

Of course it is.....

That's why I recommended (2).

Don't say go US for the top schools. Even our Insead (one of the top business school in Europe) at Buona Vista.....don't have $100K also better don't think of study there. And that's provided they accept you. You should look at their application form...like asking you to write a thesis of yourself. That's still not good enough. You still have to ask your employer to write a thesis about you. No kiddin.

well.. TS might be referring to local uni or those private school/institution backed up by overseas uni.

i do agree that money can't give u love and happiness.. but without $ i definitely not be happy, i will be worrying about the next meal. how to be happy?

exactly, look at Lim Goh Tong's obituares.... so many and so big for so many days.... some just die without people knowing it.

Edited by Nkps