To those who complain about expensive parking in SG

Slowmo

Sign taken from Sydney NSW.

1895364151_0d67bffda3.jpg

I think its a lot cheaper in our town. [;)]

Edited by Slowmo
↡ Advertisement

I find that this kind of parking scheme not transparent [laugh].

Whoever owns the plot of land call the shots on the parking rate. Upon seeing a lot of cars parked there, confirm will raise the rate. See the $30 sign can be easily replaced?

And btw they should not call it "Public" parking. Extortion Parking seems more suitable. [sly]

nah this is usual in Australia.

the parking there is killing u while owning car is cheap.

CBD area parking usually is $4/hour <- that is road site parking.

Sheltered parking even higher.

Normally they will offer you those kind of whole day parking $30/10hr = $3/hr which is consider cheaper if you work in those area

Car cheap, parking killing you, summon everywhere, and on most of road there is no parking on peak timing (tow away immediately upon spotting).

in australia, parking in the city is a big problem... thats the deterrent for people to drive to the city... $17 per hour is not uncommon...

in singapore's case, with fanciful ERP, CBD etc... still cannot solve the congestion problem...

this is cos, the gov regulation for pte building in the city to have a specific sized parking area vs office area... that short, cheap parking... now with the office space crunch, they have to fire fight to get secondary city offices in Paya Lebar area, etc...

in japan large cities, it over $20 per hour... sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

and with automated machines

How not-transparent is it? The biggest font in the whole signboard is the price tag. Whoever owns the plot of land names the price - that's free market economy for you. Price moves according to demand.

Its not extortion parking, the concept might seem foreign to you, but you can choose not to drive, and use public transport instead.

With parking charges like this, who needs ERP to control traffic congestion in the city? The congestion solves itself. The difference is that since only parking garages reap the benefits of high demand for parking space, the city council doesn't get as much money as, say, our dear LTA.

As a result, Sydney's roads are actually quite bad as far as large metropolitan cities go.

How you derived its more expensive than S'pore? Maybe the sign is for monthly parking charges? sly.gif

Per entry la bro.

I asked. [laugh]

I find that this kind of parking scheme not transparent [laugh].

Whoever owns the plot of land call the shots on the parking rate. Upon seeing a lot of cars parked there, confirm will raise the rate. See the $30 sign can be easily replaced?

And btw they should not call it "Public" parking. Extortion Parking seems more suitable. [sly]

Its the same within the CBD areas in other places also. the cheapest coin parking in the suburb I see is $2.20/hr during weekdays and $1/hr during weekends.

I think mention earlier that Mt. E season parking is 1.6k per mth !!!!!!!!!!!!! [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

Thats season parking in Mt. E bro. can imagine the season parking in aussie land? [laugh]

(edited)
go check out hongkong's rates

Hong kong still got long way to go before it can beat sydney daily rates la. [laugh]

Reason i posted this is the sign is for per entry. So can imagine the moment you park car in, its not a good idea to drive out to get something and come back. [sweatdrop]

http://www.colliers.com/Markets/USA/News/2007ParkingRelease

Global

Parking rates in cities around the world make even priciest U.S and Canadian cities seem reasonable.

Typical parking rates (Daily / Monthly, in U.S. dollars):

* London, City -- $63.68 per day / $1198.00 per month

* London, West End -- $63.68 per day / $1162.00 per month

* Tokyo-- $84.20 per day / $702.00 per month

* Sydney-- $45.83 per day / $688.00 per month

* Hong Kong-- $25.75 per day / $682.00 per month

* Midtown Manhattan -- $42 per day / $630.00 per month

* Moscow-- $50.00 per day / $620.00 per month

* Zurich-- $32.00 per day / $487.00 per month

* Paris-- $36.45 per day / $324.00 per month

* Munich-- $27.00 per day / $314.00 per month

* Toronto-- $20.00 per day / $301.85 per month

* Frankfurt-- $20.00 per day / $257.00 per month

Edited by Slowmo

Same situation in New York city. In Manhattan, the private car parks charge USD 40-50 for day parking, and in San Fransico, illegally park car are tow away in 5 minutes ! I witness the professional car tow operator breaking into a car and tow it away within a minute with a policeman throughout the whole process.

↡ Advertisement