Discharge letter from Insurance company

Ken_leong

I got into an accident two months ago. I hit another car's door while attempting to avoid a BMW which suddenly swerved into my way.

The repairs on my car has been done but there's no claim form the other party on my insurance.

My insurance company sent me a letter saying they want to pay me $50 x 8 days = $400 for my 'loss of use' in accordance to my policy. But the letter I received is a 'DISCHAGE' letter.

Upon signing(as taken from the letter), I would agree to accept the sum of $400 and final claims I may have against the Insurance company in respect to the accident. And the Insurance company shall be fully discharged from all claims I have or may have in respect to the accident.

The other party has not claimed against me yet. Does this mean the insurance company won't let the other party claim from them if I signed the forms?

Or does this letter refers only to me as the insurance company has already authorised and paid for my car repairs?

Advice please...

↡ Advertisement

Looks like it. I would suggest to call your insurance to find our more details about this letter. Get what they say in black and white..then decide what you want to do after that. Claim can take as long as 1-2years.

You claim your OWN policy rite? Hence your insurance company provide you Loss of Use benefit...

If this is confirmed an OD claim, then upon payment of loss of use, the company's liability for OD claim is fulfilled & discharged BUT they will still have to handle the TP claim.

Neutral Newbie
it only refers to your side.

its like.. "my car is fully repaired, so i won't be claiming anymore in relative to this specific accident."

thanks for your explanation.

I have also recently received a discharge voucher. I thought I have to pay.

My discharge voucher says "I hereby acknowledge and agree that payment to lawyer xxx, being solicitors acting on our behalf by xxx insurance company, the motor vehicle insurers of accused xxx of the sum of $8,500 shall be full satisfaction, liquidation and discharge of all claims whatsoever as against xxx and so on......"

my accident was caused by someone reversing into me. I need a lawyer to fight the case because the accused claimed that I bang him. Fortunately I have a 3rd party witness who stood by me throughout.

↡ Advertisement