Golf 1.4gt worth it ?

Verve

went for a test drive, was told this car easily moddable to 200 plus to 300 plus bhp but dunno if the dsg can handle the extra power.

and that the fc is around 11 km/l

the car drives reasonably well and i like the styling but the price - vw makes at least 30k profit from one car - cut throat.

any comments

↡ Advertisement

now i just tahan lor, or i might even buy it.

really starting to get the passion over head feel liao.

i just don t understand the rationale of not pricing it to get mass market demand. wouldn t that be more profitable for vw. afterall its a 1.4l car.

Neutral Newbie

Price more competitive then no true breed fan will buy as there'll be no more exclusivity with e Golf GT if they roaming on our roads too commonly.

Edited by Msimax

I believe your first statement have already answered your last question.

**Because you might even buy it** [;)]

Edited by Perrier

Can I ask u sth? How is th 1.4GT compared to the Golf GTi?

I only got to see it in BBC's Top Gear which Jeremy said the GTi is more fun and the GT is rubbish.

But For the same $$ I rather go for the UK Civic Type R. I prefer NA car.

Edited by Watwheels

actually when i was there someone was trading in his 4 mth old type r for the golf gti.

basically equipment wise gti has sunroof and xenon compared to gt which only has halogen.

the rest is about the same. the gti has a nicer front grill but was told that this can be changed.

because the gt is lighter and uses a supercharged engine it drinks less than the gt - was told about 11km/l.

power wise, not that big a difference but of course the gti has better modding potential due to its bigger engine.

pick up of the gti is slightly better but behind the wheel of both cars i must say that they are closely matched.

they were clearing a demo unit of the gti at 120k, but looking at sg context, rising fuel costs and cheaper road tax, i think unless my pockets are extremely deep, the gt is a more rationale buy, list price is 107k, they were willing to offer a small discount off this list price.

insurance for the gt is also cheaper by 30 percent.

the civic type r is a nice car but the vw badge is more exec looking. also it uses dsg which is faster than a manual trans and it gives one the convenience of the auto in sg jam context. its also more comfortable to sit in with better build quality. the only thing is i can t bear to be a carrothead and let them chop 30k from my bank account just like that.

Edited by Verve

But the Golf GT looks plain next to the GTi. The SC & TC 1.4 is great on power and low on FC. The price does not help though.

U got buy 4D anot? [sly][laugh]

Good luck.

its the grill that makes it look plain, and that can be changed.

nope i rarely buy 4d haha. maybe this week 50 big 50 small kanna already straight go for r32 liao haha. [laugh][laugh][laugh][sly][sly][sly]

So do u want to let your throat get cut?? sly.gif

It's up to u.

For me I dun have to come up with a single cent. I'll say Buy lah! Buy lah! [laugh][laugh]

add fuel to fire, buy lah,

u test drove means u are interested

if u buy others, u may still continue to wish for it, so buy lar

Can I ask u sth? How is th 1.4GT compared to the Golf GTi?

I only got to see it in BBC's Top Gear which Jeremy said the GTi is more fun and the GT is rubbish.

But For the same $$ I rather go for the UK Civic Type R. I prefer NA car.

ya same price as jdm ctr, but will get smoke badly! be it striaght or track.

the only thing is i can t bear to be a carrothead and let them chop 30k from my bank account just like that.[/reply]

30k can do tons of mod and order a new engine down here with change.

I heard Fiat Bravo with the Turbine Jet is also a interesting car to drive.At least it's 20k~30k cheaper .