Stopping distance

Yuan

Yesterday, I was carrying a load of 4 people in my car, one quite big size colleague and 2 ladies, one petite and the other quite medium built.

I was travelling at a normal speed of 60 Km/h and one car length from a lorry in front of me. Suddenly at the turn of the junction, the lorry jam brake...I also jam brake....To my horror, I discovered that my car did not react as swiftly as I expect and it moved so closely to the lorry in front (which was already stationary) before it eventually stopped. [shocked] I thought kena liao. I alighted my ride and checked. It was only a few fingers, about 3 fingers to my estimation, between my front bumper and the lorry's rear body. [sweatdrop]

After that, on my way home, I tried to test my brakes....This time round, the car managed to brake effectively.... [nod]

I dunno what is wrong....Car too heavy will affect the braking distance? I am using original brake pads and just changed my brake pads not too long ago....

Very confused and perplexed... [dizzy]

↡ Advertisement

Possible [nod] by simple law of physics, momentum = mass x velocity...with heavier mass comes higher momentum and so u will need a larger force to reduce the momentum... [scholar]

Of course ...

With the 3 other people .... the % of load on your car is up by 200%-300%.

So your braking distance will be doubled or more .....

Hence remember to apply more pressure on your brake

when there are passengers in your car if you are

coming to a halt.

I experience this before oso, almost couldnt brake in time..

[sweatdrop]

Definitely. But you would still be able to brake in time if you stepped harder, and this is where EBD and BA helps.

However, if you are already you are at the limit of braking for 0 passengers in car, ie braking very hard for a near miss, with 4 passengers, you will definitely hit the vehicle in front.

So simply, when carrying heavy loads, just keep a good safety distance.

Like the LGVs who tailgates, they are built very good brakes, but once its loaded up, they would be unable to stop in the same distance without loads.

Praise and thank God that you are safe.

It is a feeling especially when you are not use to having heavier load, yes, loads will affect braking distance. Another issue is that, when you have just fitted new brake pads, it is usual that for about a good 500 km, it is not working as well as it should, hence you might want to be aware of it.

[reply]Yesterday, I was carrying a load of 4 people in my car, one quite big size colleague and 2 ladies, one petite and the other quite medium built.

I was travelling at a normal speed of 60 Km/h and one car length from a lorry in front of me. Suddenly at the turn of the junction, the lorry jam brake...I also jam brake....To my horror, I discovered that my car did not react as swiftly as I expect and it moved so closely to the lorry in front (which was already stationary) before it eventually stopped. [shocked] I thought kena liao. I alighted my ride and checked. It was only a few fingers, about 3 fingers to my estimation, between my front bumper and the lorry's rear body. [sweatdrop]

After that, on my way home, I tried to test my brakes....This time round, the car managed to brake effectively.... [nod]

I dunno what is wrong....Car too heavy will affect the braking distance? I am using original brake pads and just changed my brake pads not too long ago....

Very confused and perplexed... [dizzy][/reply ]

As most of the bros have already indicated that with more load you would have to brake earlier, have a longer braking distance or tap your brakes to come to a safe stop.

It is also a known fact that when there is a slight flim of water, grime , rust between your pads and rotor and the first moment you apply brakes your brakes won't be so effective as so you thought.

Having said all that, it is good to have your brakes,brake rotors, brake line checked and purge of air and your suspension checked for any wear and tear...and also the most important have your tires checked too...as that is the only contact you have with the road! [;)]

Thank you brother. How do you do a proper break in of the pads? I just want to know a bit of this for future purposes...My current new pads have run in for a few thousand kilometres....Should be seasoned liao lah.... [laugh]

After last night's incident, really thank God and was at one stage contemplating of changing to aftermarket brake pads..... [scholar]

The old that we do it is to test the brakes first. Whenever you change your brakes oil or/and pads, there are similar issues. However, when comes to oil, all you need to do is to brake test a few times , of course safety, this will help to remove the air in the lines. However, for pads, you just have do the same to learn the braking distance and drive safety. Over time it get better and more constant, roughly about 500 km.

Of course prayer worksthumbsup.gif

maybe u should bleed the brakes.

is the pedal feel spongy? if it is, that means that there is air in the brake system, or that the brake fluid has absorbed water..

Hence remember to apply more pressure on your brake

when there are passengers in your car if you are

coming to a halt.

I experience this before oso, almost couldnt brake in time..

[sweatdrop]

Felt like a heart seizure....and time had just stopped for once.... [sweatdrop]

Of course ...

With the 3 other people .... the % of load on your car is up by 200%-300%.

So your braking distance will be doubled or more .....

You are right. Thanks for your advice.

Possible [nod] by simple law of physics, momentum = mass x velocity...with heavier mass comes higher momentum and so u will need a larger force to reduce the momentum... [scholar]

Ain't that goes to show that my brakes are still in working order? [scholar]

[reply]Yesterday, I was carrying a load of 4 people in my car, one quite big size colleague and 2 ladies, one petite and the other quite medium built.

Very confused and perplexed... [dizzy][/reply ]

As most of the bros have already indicated that with more load you would have to brake earlier, have a longer braking distance or tap your brakes to come to a safe stop.

It is also a known fact that when there is a slight flim of water, grime , rust between your pads and rotor and the first moment you apply brakes your brakes won't be so effective as so you thought.

Having said all that, it is good to have your brakes,brake rotors, brake line checked and purge of air and your suspension checked for any wear and tear...and also the most important have your tires checked too...as that is the only contact you have with the road! [;)]

Thank You sir for your elaborate advice. [thumbsup]

I just had my brakes changed not too long ago and checked about 2 weeks back together with my tires which subsequently went for alignment and balancing.... [lipsrsealed]

That is why I was confused about the braking distance and the effect I am getting.... [dizzy]

maybe u should bleed the brakes.

is the pedal feel spongy? if it is, that means that there is air in the brake system, or that the brake fluid has absorbed water..

When I change to new brake pads a few months ago, the mechanic open up my brake fluid cover while he change my pads....

After he change my brake pads, he closed back my brake fluid without topping up..... My fluid was initially 1/4 level but after that increases after that level...which got me confused....I was with him all the time. Did not see him do any top up leh.....

Edited by Blacklancer224

The movement of the calipers causes the change in fluid level.

Old pad is thinner so calipers move more so lower fluid level. New pad is thick, so caliper reset to original position so fluid level increase till original level.

Hope u understand wat it means.

Thanks for your explanation..... [thumbsup]

I am actually more amused by your avatar.....Can't stop laughing until my colleagues thought I have gone crazy...Laughing in front of my monitor.... [laugh]

↡ Advertisement