Toyota Prado Landcrusier

GoopPwr

Hi people, I've seened quite a few of these on the road and have always thought that it looks nice, comfy and quite ideal for for those looking for a family 6 to 7 seater.

I am guessing this ride will be in the price range of $135K. A premium for a Jap car.

Other than the price, I've always wondered why it is not as popular as the Ody or the Estima. I remember that someone had commented that because it is based on the design of a truck, the ride comfort suffers.

Anyone care to give an insight or view ? Anyone driving one ?

Thanks folks !!

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

fortuner was based on a pickup.

prado landcruiser is a luxury version of the landcruiser. its a very good offroader. in places like sarawak and sabah, the prado landcruiser is the rich man's car...their equivalant to the benz on singapore roads. the other choice is the mitsubishi pajero which is highly popular in sabah.

unlike the ody or setima, a land cruiser can brave floods

if you want to brave rivers, can go fix a snorkle

unlike the ody or setima, a land cruiser can fix super high suspension and push the wheels out a bit for the king of the road look [cool]

the ody or setima are for the urban family man, the land cruiser is for tarzan with a family [cool]

Hi TOHDJ, thanks.

have driven the Pajero before for a few days down under along off roads. Excellant capabilities on bumpy off roads. ride comfort and sound insulation can be better though, which is what I am look for .

Oh yes, the Prado landcruiser looks luxurious and grand and it no wonder it is the rich man's choice.

Hi, was in NZ was month where I had the opportunity ti ride in both a Estima 2.4 and a Prado 3.0 ( diesel ). Think except the height and all terrain capabilities, the Estima is better in nearly all other aspect.

Be it the ride comfort, space ( wider interior ), 3rd row access, boot space with 3 rows of seats up etc.... the Estima wins. Of course the kids loved the Prado, but the adults in general prefers the Estima ( after commenting how stylo the Prado is).

Locally the Estima ( PI ) is avail in 2.4 ( CVT ) n 3.5 V6 ( 6 SPD AUTO ) while the Prado is avail in 2.7 ( 4 SPD AUTO ){ similar to Fortuner } or 4.0 V6 ( 5 SPD AUTO ) both transmission with low range.....Price difference is abt $25K - $35K.....FC wise the both not good though the Estima will edge out the LandCriuser.

Bro, take the land cruiser man!!!!!

the mpvs are very weak at the rear.....if they get hit by anything slightly bigger only, chaps on the last seat will get it quite jialat

but the land cruiser is differrent, esp if you upz the suspension further.....sedan and mpv will do negliable damage to your rear (they are too low fit even to hit the bumper....basically they will just be stuck under the land cruiser)

but it is still insufficient armour for rear impact by lorry size category so i suggest you armoursie your back by changing the rear bumper to steel type [cool] once you do so you will never want a plastic bumper [cool]

for me i cannot afford a land cruiser.... i got only 60k to burn for a car so i bought a all terrian armoured vehicle: ssyangyong musso (front bumper reinforced with steel and rear steel bumper......comes with truck no need to zhng) [cool]

think no further, join the heavy metal gang!!!!!! [cool]

It's not that expensive. It's about $120k with options on the vehicle. The only worry is that you need to find good height clearance for this vehicle. The height is 187cm without the roof rack.

So far, I only see Prados parking in Paragon in Orchard area.

I'm surprised the Estima is more comfortable and spacious than the Prado, but then I've not driven the Prado before but have driven the Tarago ( I believe it is the Estima equivalent ) in Australia.

the Prado just look so much bigger and comfy.

thanks for the insight [thumbsup]

I've seen the Ssyangyong Musso, quite a car, and is big.

The Prado is tempting and is quite ideal, just that I'll like more comfort .

Thanks for the tips, good ideas !!

You are welcome, for driver n front pax both cars quite close...... I had the opportunity to sit in both vehicles, travelling on the same route ( hotel to city centre and back ), in the same posn ( second row right seat ) and with the same 2 other people on the 2nd row. Din sat in the 3rd row of Prado, sat a few trips at the 3rd row of Estima. Estima 3rd row quite ok.

I sold my 2.7l Prado last year to the dismay of my wife (Cos my wife really loves the car)...I had some bad experience with the car but then maybe I'm "Sway"...

@ abt 40,000km the car short circuited & the entire cabin of the car was a total black out...even the Dash Board...Because this is a very rare car back then...not many people were familar with the electronics with the car...But I managed to find workshop with a computer to hook up to the car to do a diagnostics check...they took a total of 2 days to find the circuit problem...

@ abt 50,000km the Air-Con compressor was dead...all the while, I felt that the Air-Con was already under powered, so I had to go modify the pipes & replace it with a bigger compressor otherwise the rear passangers will not feel very comfortable...I forgot to mention...there are no rear Air-Con vents on the Prado...

All in all, the Prado is a fantastic car in my opinion, but you will have to go for the 4l V6 or you will struggle at time for response & power...2.7l just cannot make it...

The braking distance of the car is also an issue due to the weight...as such, I changed to Braided Hoses...there was a slight improvement in the brake response afterwards...

Just before I sold the car last year, a new Civic crashed into the rear of my Prado, but because of the ride height...the Prado was totally ok except for a few minor scratches which I waxed away afterwards...the Civic was not so lucky...because his car went under mine, the Bonnet, Side Panels, Windscreen was damaged...lucky the Driver was alright...

These are just my Honest & Un-Bias opinions, so pls dun shoot me...just sharing... [;)]

[shocked][shocked][shocked]

really typical chow yun fatt stuff man!!!!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

confirm come out of the car and ask the other party," towkay, li ho seh bo? li ai wa call ambulance lai mai?" [cool]

Goodpwr, mai tu liao!!!!! go for the heavy weight champion man!!!! confirm safe!!!!

actually i don like the prado name.....like lady handbag name.....i prefer the land crisuer name....more [cool]

Thank you Bro,

Did you buy it new or used ?

Honest & Un-bias , first hand opinion is totally appreciated and shd be encouraged [thumbsup]

not tu lah... must do homework first mah. [laugh]

Actually wouldn't it be nice if some car dealers let buyers try out cars for some time before deciding which car to buy ? Ah, I guess I am dreaming.

↡ Advertisement