Pls allow folded bikes on buses and trains

Sabian

From ST Forum

MY 15-YEAR-OLD nephew has been an avid BMX stunt cyclist for more than a year.

He meets his friends about three times a week at the Youth Park in Somerset Road.

This is a healthy and exciting sport for youngsters like him and we applaud the efforts by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth & Sports and the National Youth Council to provide a place for extreme sports for bikers and skaters since 2004.

However, there is an important issue regarding transport for these cyclists which I would like the authorities to address.

My nephew has told me that in the past few months, he and his friends have been stopped many times by officers at MRT stations and told not to take their bicycles onto the train.

Please note that these bikes have been dismantled and folded neatly into special BMX bags which the bikers carry on their shoulders. The bags have clear BMX logos to indicate a bicycle inside.

When they explained they were only carrying bicycles to the Youth Park at Somerset, they were asked to leave the MRT station and find another means of transport. They were even threatened with a fine if they continued to take their bikes on the train.

Getting on the bus has also been a problem for these youngsters. Bus drivers have asked them rudely what they were carrying in their big black bags. Some have asked them to leave the bus.

So it seems the only means of public transport for this group of bikers is by taxi.

This does not make sense, as the Youth Park is located in the heart of town in Orchard Road next to Somerset MRT station. In fact, this is what my nephew has done for the past few months, spending a lot of money simply to pursue the sport he loves.

Ng Lai Yien (Ms)

Edited by Sabian
↡ Advertisement

Another fcuktarded SMRT regulation.

went to the states recently, they always designate a cycling lane whenever they can in the city. bikes are allowed on their subway as well.

Not only do we not have cycling lanes, spastic pubic transport operators also trying to be a pain in the a-ss. only know how to appeal when fare hike rejected.

ex CJ shd be PTC Chairman. Dare to appeal??? I turn your fare hike appeal to fare reduction by $0.50!! See you dare to suka suka appeal without thinking twice...

(SM(A)RT ?? shd be

ST(U)P(I)D)

Edited by Sabian

Neutral Newbie

Like that they can't earn from you if everyone start to cycle.We are one small island you know.It is the policy of earning $$$ not solve problem fr our govt dept. [thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

i oni know strida foldable is allowable in MRT and Buses.

once folded looks like baby trams

cos from their own forum.. they got approve letter frm the transport authories.

to carry the bike onto buses and mrts.

:)

strange to me that baby prams are allowed but these folded bicycles are not.

IMO, the baby prams take up more space and more hazardous to others than these folded bicycles.

Aiya. Dun put them in black coloured carrying bags mah. They will think the teenagers are terrorists trying to bomb bus and trains. [laugh]

Put the folded bikes in transparent carrying bags. [laugh]

U try carrying these big bags to the airport and see what will happen. [laugh]

Edited by Watwheels

its okie to bring black bag...

my fren done tat... at most police will ask u to unzip and see...

jus tell them its a bicycle.

they replied, nice bike :)

Even the bicycle parking outside MRT station is really bad. they don't want people to cycle to the MRT station, they want you to take a feeder bus!

and the park n ride scheme is a big failure. seems all the gahmen talk about monopolising the transport by glc don't come true. and make TIBS and SMRT compete by spliting the NE line?? pure genius by the ministars.

they just don't want to make life easier for people. OT, i see lots of chinese nationals cycling on SG roads. maybe they think once they allow bicycles on trains, too many will bring it on the train?

Neutral Newbie

Bikes are not allowed in trains here in US too......BUT, welcomed on buses though....ok not in the bus but most metro buses has bicycle racks either in front and/or behind the buses so bikers can catch a ride as well....

EA

i oni know strida foldable is allowable in MRT and Buses.

once folded looks like baby trams

cos from their own forum.. they got approve letter frm the transport authories.

to carry the bike onto buses and mrts.

:)

Not juz Strida, it is all folding bike properly folded without any parts jutting out. There is no sure thing as approve letter. It is juz http://www.cycling.org.sg/index.htm SACA http://www.cycling.org.sg/Communiques/Rule...T_(20.8.04).pdf communique to its member.

However, NEL is may apply it differently. The only thing that will catch them pants down is SMRT/NEL/LTA supposed to notify the public the max luggage size allow in MRT. Currently, there is no such notice. If ask the staff, nobody knows.

I hav brought these bikes:

http://www.stridasingapore.com/

http://www.stridasingapore.com/Strida%20-%20CarryMe.html & even

http://www.bikefriday.com/tikit

folded in peak & off peak hours. Station master don't give me a damn.

Edited by Davidtch

Another fcuktarded SMRT regulation.

went to the states recently, they always designate a cycling lane whenever they can in the city. bikes are allowed on their subway as well.

Not only do we not have cycling lanes, spastic pubic transport operators also trying to be a pain in the a-ss. only know how to appeal when fare hike rejected.

ex CJ shd be PTC Chairman. Dare to appeal??? I turn your fare hike appeal to fare reduction by $0.50!! See you dare to suka suka appeal without thinking twice...

(SM(A)RT ?? shd be

ST(U)P(I)D)

In States, they even have racks in front of the bus for you to put your bicycle without having to fold it. The bus driver will wait for you patiently, only driving off once you have settled down.

i saw pple with folded bikes on the BART a few times in San Fran leh but the train was relatively empty at that time.

or is it just not strictly enforced?

That's my twin bro. [laugh]

4 Strida 3, i think it is $950 (Brush Silver) & $850 (Other color).

4 Strida 5, i m not sure about d price.

Go down 2 d shop & try it out on Saturday. U may meed some riders there.

If u hav other bikes, u could bring it along 4 tis Sunday Christmas ride starting from CCK MRT @ 9:30am. Swap ur bike wif some other riders 2 try it out. Tis is slow & easy ride till Gim Moh Mkt 4 brunch.

Buying from Taiwan is definitely cheaper. The only [thumbsdown] side is that there is no local support if u r not a DIY person. If u intend 2 buy from Taiwan, rem 2 get d bag (it is padded) & xtra mudguard (all other color that u don't hav). Put Strida inside d bag & put d bag inside Strida box (get d box from d shop u buy). Sealed d box & checkin. Don't throw d box if u intend 2 travel overseas in future.

↡ Advertisement