Vehicle Registration Numbers Retention & Transfer (Process & Fees)

Chibibotto

But why is it not him who pay the 1300 as it is to replace his existing car and not yours mah...u sell the number on an agreed price of 5k..how he want to use it is his pasah mah..if he is using it on an old car...then ofcos he pay mah..no?

hahaha...if it is more than 300, i wont even consider...100..can consider la..my number not very pretty..but a lot of admin work i need to do if i change car number...coy season parking is one example.. :)

But at that time, my friend COE car is due for scrapped and as I do not want to enlist the car number plate dealers assistance to exercise the transaction for a small fee, so I paid the transfer fee minimal amount for his COE car to come under my ownership. I paid $1300 for the transfer/admin fee for my car number which was on a 2 yrs old car then to be transferred to the COE car. Afterwhich, I transferred the COE car to the buyer for a small fee, follow by number retention

Another way is to transfer my 2 yrs old car to the buyer and back, but will incur extra 2 ownership and higher transfer fee paid 2 times, even higher than the $1300. The buyer paid another $1300 to retain the number to be used within year. There may be too much admin work, better let the number plate dealers handle for a fee.

Edited by Amazon777

Neutral Newbie

Allo allo guys! Please don confuse this poor bloke! See carefully what he's asking:

He's asking, if he do the following:

1) Retain number from old car A to new car B --> yes he understood it's $100 for number retention.

2) His old car A is not de-registered (e.g. sell to 2nd hand market)

3) So his old car A needs a new number

---> then must he pay for a new number onto the old car A?

Answer is: NO!

The LTA will automatically assign a new number to old car A once the retained number is retained onto car B. As simple as it can be!

Yes LTA have many 'pattern' to retain a vehicle number, some cases $100, some cases $1300 but later refund $1200, some cases the full $1300. But he's just asking whether he need to pay for a new number on the old car. So please don confuse him.

Neutral Newbie

Just collected my new ride recently. Retained my old car number and old car sold to 2nd hand dealer. Paid $100. LTA give new number to my old ride.

Hi all,

i understand that we need to pay like 100 bucks to use back our old number on our new car. But what abt the replacement of the old car with the new number if the car is not for scrap but into the 2nd hand market by the dealer? Do we need to pay to give it the new number?

I bought and collected my new car about 2 weeks ago (16/12). I decided to retain the number from my old car (for sentimental reasons). I paid $100 for that transfer. About a week after the registration of the new car, LTA sent me a letter to effect the transfer of the old car number to my new car, and assigned a new number to my old car, which was still in the 2nd hand market. I went to a car plate maker to make a new set of plates for my old car (cost me about $40), and passed it on to the dealer who was selling my old car. So total cost for me was: $100 (for the transfer fee paid to LTA) and $40 (for a new set of number plates to be put on the old car). Hope that helps.

Its really ok. It was abit confusing in the beginning. But after piecing up all the helpful reply, i manage to get wat i want to find out. Thanks for your clarification too. It was loud and clear. You totally get what i am asking. My fault for not expressing myself clearer though. Not very good in words. Would like to thanks all for the helpful ans and wish all a happy 2008.

Turbocharged

Ok, I have this scenario:

Person A got Car A with license plate ABC

Person B got Car B with license plate DEF

Person A want to sell his car A to Person B and Buy Car B from Person A, but Person A want to keep his ABC plate and Person B want to retain his plate DEF.

So the final outcome will be:

Person A, Car B, plate ABC

Person B, Car A, plate DEF

Anyone can advise the procedure?

Ok I know for person A to buy Car B, he need to get the insurance for himself with Car B. And Person B to get insurance himself with Car A. Then with the documents they both go down to LTA to fill up the transfer form for the cars and pay accordingly.

But how to process if both want to retain their old plate numbers? Pay 100 fee? then insurance part how to settle?

I was going through LTA website but them only talk about retaining number of de-registered car.

I need advise from gurus here who bought 2nd-hand car and transfer their old plate number to the car. Please advise me on the procedure.

Thank you..

not sure how to do that but when my father booked a new car, the request to use back old carplate is only $100.

meaning, the AD will transfer new number to our old car and then the new car registered w our old number. for hdb parking, no need do anything since we paid for the old number and will still be using it. For insurance, call to cancel remaining mths and renew a new one with the same or different coy.

Transfer of old car plate to a new unregistered car is $100. Transferring existing plate from old car to a car that is already registered, is $1300. The old car will be issued a new number FOC. Swapping plates between 2 old cars would be $1300 x 2.

Both cars must be under the same owner before the license plate transfer can be done.

• Angry 1

Based on TS scenario, when both want to keep their old plates, the steps would be this:

1. Person B buys his new car and registers with DEF. Car B will be issued with a new plate.

2. Person A buys Car B.

3. Person A pays LTA $1300 to swap ABC to Car B. Car A will be issued with a new plate.

4. Person A sells Car A.

correct me if i am wrong.

transfer number plate between two existing cars will be consider as ownership transfer and it should be based on the car make/model to confirm the pricing.

this method can be quite costly.~