Vehicle Registration Numbers Retention & Transfer (Process & Fees)

Chibibotto

Turbocharged

Aiyo if change or transfer number plate to old car is $100 instead of $1300 , I do it very often liao.

Cos I always cheong NS highway and kena speed camera. One offence RM 300 . If change plate is sgd $100 , one offence nia can recoup liao. Since changing now costs sgd 1300, need to accumulate about 10 offence then only worthwhile.

True story - I have a friend who travels regularly to Ipoh and raked up about RM 5k in summons ( he checked online ) ; so he spent sgd 1300 change number plate.

↡ Advertisement

When ah gong want money, he want money

The 1300 is more to carrot those rich with 8888 9999 168 1688 etc that kind number plate,

U and me are poor folks, just get caught up in the system

Internal Moderator

Aiyo if change or transfer number plate to old car is $100 instead of $1300 , I do it very often liao.

Cos I always cheong NS highway and kena speed camera. One offence RM 300 . If change plate is sgd $100 , one offence nia can recoup liao. Since changing now costs sgd 1300, need to accumulate about 10 offence then only worthwhile.

True story - I have a friend who travels regularly to Ipoh and raked up about RM 5k in summons ( he checked online ) ; so he spent sgd 1300 change number plate.

If I were you I wouldn't dare to boast about my speeding offences in bolehland online. IMO, if you want Malaysians to respect SG's traffic rules when they're here, then shouldn't we do the same when we go over? [shakehead]

Takes two hands to clap. Two wrongs don't make a right.

If I were you I wouldn't dare to boast about my speeding offences in bolehland online. IMO, if you want Malaysians to respect SG's traffic rules when they're here, then shouldn't we do the same when we go over? [shakehead]

Takes two hands to clap. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes bro. I agree with you. No doubt this is a rather "smart and innovative" method to avoid paying the speeding summons which one accumulated over the years at bolehland, but if everyone were to use this method to avoid paying fine, I am very sure that our dear LTA will work hand in hand with the Malaysian authority before one could change number plate or transfer veh.

This is what will happen if both Singapore and Malaysia authority work closely together :

--------> tan ah kok is a hardcore chiongster who like to speed whenever his car enter bolehland. 5 years has passed and he accumulated $5000 worth of speeding summons issued by the Malaysian authority. Being a smart Alec , he adopted the method which was mentioned earlier by one of the bro by changing number plate...... One day, LTA and Malaysia made it compulsory for all Singapore registered veh to settle their outstanding summons before one could change veh number. They can also make it compulsory that all veh owner to settle their outstanding summons (be it sg summon or boleh summon ) before they can sell off their car because this is to safeguard the interests of potential (ignorant) buyer.

So please tell your friend to keep comment to himself, some lobangs are not meant to be share openly, please don't spoil the market.

Sorry, I read the posts and still a bit unsure.

So if I intend to scrap my existing car and want to transfer the number plate of this existing to a used car, it will only cost me $100?

So if I intend to scrap my existing car and want to transfer the number plate of this existing to a used car, it will only cost me $100?

Transfer existing car plate number to a new car costs $100 if done within 14 days..

Transfer existing car plate number to used car costs $1300..

Transfer existing car plate number to new car if take longer than 14days but less than 1 year, pay $1300 up front and if transfer done before 1 year LTA returns u $1200....

• Praise 4

Sorry mod, I did search before posting but I could only find post with regards to transfer fee alone and not transfer fee vs no. retention fee. Hence my new thread.

Transfer existing car plate number to a new car costs $100 if done within 14 days..

Transfer existing car plate number to used car costs $1300..

Transfer existing car plate number to new car if take longer than 14days but less than 1 year, pay $1300 up front and if transfer done before 1 year LTA returns u $1200....

thnks, yours is a clearer summary. Factor in the current $11 transfer fee when you purchase a used car, I really don't see where the $1300 for number retention comes into play.

Anyway, I have already wrote to LTA hoping they could enlighten me on the disparity, will update if they reply for those interested.

Nope, if you transfer onto a new car under your name, it will cost $100.

But

If you transfer to a used car, it will cost $1300.

IMO, the differences in paperwork and cost def not a $1200 diff,

Then to transfer a used car ownership only costs $11.

Figs dun make sense at all

• Praise 1

Nope, if you transfer onto a new car under your name, it will cost $100.

But

If you transfer to a used car, it will cost $1300.

IMO, the differences in paperwork and cost def not a $1200 diff,

Then to transfer a used car ownership only costs $11.

Figs dun make sense at all

Which and what govt policy makes sense nowsaday? You tell me lor.

Neutral Newbie

So if I want to swop number plate with another car owner, each of us got to pay $1300? 2 X $1300?

What's the typical cost for physically changing the number plate (standard non fancy type) at the car plate shop?

for the very last time, i feel you all should make use of technology time and again to do the necessary homework before coming to be spoon fed.

i attach this FAQ from the LTA. If you are unsure, might i remind you all, THIS IS MCF. LTA has a helpline, call them!

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/lta_information_guidelines/de_register_a_vehicle/retain_number.html

if changing a veh number is also $11 like that of changing of ownership, i reckon there will b super long q at sin meng n super high load in vrl system, n tp will b super bz trying to identify the address of the car at the time of the incident...

This question has been on my mind for quite some time, need to get it off my chest.

The current vehicle transfer fee is $11 but the current number plate retention fee is $1300 (to old car). Then to transfer the number onto new car, it costs only $100.

All 3 have seemingly identical process and costs imo, but why is there such a big difference in fee collected. No matter how you compare the 3 fees, cant make sense to me...

Just about 2~3 years ago the transfer fee was few hundreds.

Transfer fee used to be fairly high as well and it was adjusted awhile back to this current level.

The number plate retention fees are the one that is a puzzle to me for awhile as well. In the past there are paperwork to be handled and since LTA have already computerised almost all of its operation, the amount of work to transfer a vehicle or a number plate shouldn't differ that much.

May be we all should write in to seek clarify and also to suggest a revision of such fees.

Computerisation also need money mah....

Faster is more expensive

Supersonic

Last time the transfer fee for used car very expensive, but now they reduce it until $11 for every used car. Thinking how come they still dont reduce the fee for car plate retain to another used car?

Cos transfer plate from used car to used car very leceh (as illustrated by someone above). LTA will make you pay for the leceh-ness.

Transfer plate from used car to new car not so leceh, therefore costs less.

Sorry guys!

So I just bought a second hand mazda 3 from a friend. He wishes to retain his current current plate for his new toyota wish, and he will give me the new car plate number. 

So i have a few questions: 

1. When can I buy my insurance? Before or after the car plate number has been switched?

2. When I do my paper work to buy the mazda 3, do i use the existing car plate number? Or wait till the new number is here?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1