Vehicle Registration Numbers Retention & Transfer (Process & Fees)

Chibibotto

In your case 321$+Bid amount exactly.

wah.  am getting confused myself from reading all these. [:p]

Knn, so if I get a used car, and I don't like the number so I go to onemotoring to bid for my own number.

To replace the existing number on the used car with my successfully bidded number, I must pay LTA $1300 ? :huh:

↡ Advertisement

Dear all,

I would need some experiences from you guys, before clarifying with LTA as it is an appeal case.

I tried searching other car plate threads but my situation is not so striaght forward

Current situation:

1. Current car is under my dad's name

2. Booked a new car under my name

3. I want to retain the car plate number

Method A: apply to retain the number (pay $1300), appeal to LTA to transfer the owner of the car/car plate to my name. Transfer the old car plate to my new car and get $1200 refund.

Method B: transfer ownership of old car to my name. Then apply for insurance for a few days. Transfer the old car plate to my new car (similar $1300-$1200, but has to pay insurance premium)

My concerns:

For method A, I heard from a dealer that the chances of appeal to be approved is very high.

But I just want to be sure, what if I retained the number plate under my father's name, LTA reject my appeal. I suck thumb transfer the ownership of the old car to under my name. Will the old car plate be under my dad's name or me?

Will I still be able to transfer the old car plate to new car?

Hope some guys have such experience and share with me.

Thanks!!

• Praise 1

I think best method is to transfer your dad car ownership to your name and just pay $11, then retain the number under your new car and pay $100. But note that your dad's car must be fully paid and no outstanding loan.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

@Preventme I faced the same issue when I bought my car early this year.

In the end, my SE managed to settle it for me via method A (I believe). It was all done within a day but I'm not 100% sure of the details as my SE was the one who did all the paperwork for me.

Good thing about this method is buying car insurance was a lot simpler since I didn't have to buy car insurance for the old car as I would have needed to under method B.

Hope that helps.

• Praise 2

Dear all,

I would need some experiences from you guys, before clarifying with LTA as it is an appeal case.

I tried searching other car plate threads but my situation is not so striaght forward

Current situation:

Method A: apply to retain the number (pay $1300), appeal to LTA to transfer the owner of the car/car plate to my name. Transfer the old car plate to my new car and get $1200 refund.

Method B: transfer ownership of old car to my name. Then apply for insurance for a few days. Transfer the old car plate to my new car (similar $1300-$1200, but has to pay insurance premium)

My concerns:

For method A, I heard from a dealer that the chances of appeal to be approved is very high.

But I just want to be sure, what if I retained the number plate under my father's name, LTA reject my appeal. I suck thumb transfer the ownership of the old car to under my name. Will the old car plate be under my dad's name or me?

Thanks!!

This is not a case of appeal, it is an application, there is no reason LTA should reject your application that you have to suck thumb.  Transferring and retaining  of license plate is very common and it is something that your car dealer could help you easily.

I have done transfer of number to  both new and old car under my own name many times ,  i also have retained my license plate for almost a year once , no problem. Though your case is transferring of number from your dad to you, there is not much diff.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

You should transfer the old car to your name, retain the plate, then transfer back to your dad. It can be done without buying insurance if you do it all in 1 transaction at LTA. Do call in to confirm.

• Praise 1

huh? every time I transfer old number plate to new car, I pay $1,300 (no discount or bargaining allowed with LTA)

I don't recall getting a refund of $1,200... has the rule/fee changed or that I have been a sucker all this while???

• Praise 2

huh? every time I transfer old number plate to new car, I pay $1,300 (no discount or bargaining allowed with LTA)

I don't recall getting a refund of $1,200... has the rule/fee changed or that I have been a sucker all this while???

Old plate to existing car -$1300

Old plate to New car - upfront $1300 refund $1200

Been like that over 10 over years..

• Praise 2

Why to complicate things? Go for Method B if you do not have intention to sell of your dad's car as number of transfers will be shown on the log book.

Your Sales guy should do it much faster.

Dear all,

Current situation:

My concerns:

Thanks!!

• Praise 1

huh? every time I transfer old number plate to new car, I pay $1,300 (no discount or bargaining allowed with LTA)

Transfer old number to new car only need to pay $100. Unless you retain your old number first, then needs to pay $1300. And later when you buy a new car and register the car, LTA will refund you back $1200 through GIRO.

• Praise 1

@Preventme I faced the same issue when I bought my car early this year.

In the end, my SE managed to settle it for me via method A (I believe). It was all done within a day but I'm not 100% sure of the details as my SE was the one who did all the paperwork for me.

Good thing about this method is buying car insurance was a lot simpler since I didn't have to buy car insurance for the old car as I would have needed to under method B.

Hope that helps.

Wow. Able to do it in a day!! I will give LTA a call and check. That's really good to know

You should transfer the old car to your name, retain the plate, then transfer back to your dad. It can be done without buying insurance if you do it all in 1 transaction at LTA. Do call in to confirm.

I see. I will give them a call. This sounds perfect. What. Am looking for actually
  • Praise 1

If I have two cars. How do I swap their licence plates nos at least cost?  [:/]

Cost is fixed - no way to beat the system. Unless one of them is a brand-new car (to be taking delivery)  - then possible to retain number plate for $100.

• Praise 1

Vehicle registration, transfer fees among 24 car-related fees to rise from Dec 20

The biggest hikes include those made to registration fees, which will go from $140 today to $220, a 57 per cent hike; and transfer fees (which is levied when a vehicle's ownership changes), which will more than double from $11 to $25. The cost to lay up a vehicle (to stop the vehicle from incuring tax and insurance costs for an extended period when it is not used) will more than treble from $5.35 to $17.12.

In response to queries from The Straits Times, an LTA spokesman said the changes arose from "a review of fees that are collected for administering vehicle services".

"From Dec 20, 24 out of 61 existing fees will be adjusted upwards, as these fees have largely remained unchanged for more than 10 years," she said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/vehicle-registration-transfer-fees-among-24-car-related-fees-to-rise-from-dec-20