Turbo cars (S80): How to maintain?

Fabiaman

Hi all.. I am a newbie to Turbo cars. Just bot a new S80 2.5T... collection in a few weeks.

Question: How to maintain turbo charged car like the S80? Things like warming up & coolin down? Advice much appreciated.

Edited by Fabiaman
↡ Advertisement

I second. Turbo timer is not needed at all unless you increase the boost.

Anyway, in SG, we mostly travel slowly for quite a distance before parking and stopping the engine, so that's natural cooling for you.

Mostly treat it like a normal sedan except engine oil should be synthetic for sure.

Neutral Newbie

light pressure turbo designed for the layman's use. nothing special required. just be aware that you have more torque and get used to it (for safety's sake).

Hi all.. I am a newbie to Turbo cars. Just bot a new S80 2.5T... collection in a few weeks.

Question: How to maintain turbo charged car like the S80? Things like warming up & coolin down? Advice much appreciated.

S80 2.5T is light turbo, just drive and maintain as per normal like any NA car. No need special maintance [:)]

Just take note to service your car as per recommended... every 15k or 1 year.

So if new car, your next service is 15k... Conti car does not require first 1k service.

Also, please use min RON95 as per recommended.

Cheers and have a fun ride [wave]

I second. Turbo timer is not needed at all unless you increase the boost.

Anyway, in SG, we mostly travel slowly for quite a distance before parking and stopping the engine, so that's natural cooling for you.

Mostly treat it like a normal sedan except engine oil should be synthetic for sure.

I don't really agree that turbo timer is necessary only if you increase the boost. The idea of a turbo timer is of course to allow the engine oil to continue circulating around the turbo's bearings, which can be super hot after hard driving.

Now even if you increase the boost, the turbo's turbine spins at the same speed so the bearings will not get hotter. Therefore if you didn't need a turbo timer before, you still won't need it after increasing the boost.

I think the most sensible thing to do is to allow any turbo engine to idle for a minute after continuous long driving (e.g. suddenly pulling into a rest stop along the NS highway after a hard drive), otherwise you are right, slowing down and parking the car in normal driving conditions is more than enough for the turbo to cool down.

that's very true

my one is manual, torque so high that no need to do half clutch + step oil for gear 1 and gear 2 [cool]

want to move off just push in gear 1 and let go clutch, no need hlaf clutch no need step oil [cool]

then go into gear 2, just push in gear 2 and let go clutch again, no need hlaf clutch no need step oil [cool]

=====================

Just drive like any ordinary car but try to only use a good quality synthetic oil cos it can withstand the much hotter temp to cool the turbo bearing & use the minimum recommended RON petrol for your car.

Most if not all mineral oils will turn to sludge in the high heat turbo bearing & cause it to fail.

Minimum required RON cos when the turbo kicks in, the compression ratio goes up & lower RON will knock(ping). If u drive like me (ah pek) even a lower RON might still b OK cos the turbo does not come on. [lipsrsealed]

my one is manual, torque so high that no need to do half clutch + step oil for gear 1 and gear 2

want to move off just push in gear 1 and let go clutch, no need hlaf clutch no need step oil

then go into gear 2, just push in gear 2 and let go clutch again, no need hlaf clutch no need step oil

==========================

Something like those lorry I used to drive b4? [rolleyes]

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Jusk kidding. Cheers & Have a very Happy New Year. [wave]

Are u referring to the S80 LPT or just any TC in general?

Every TC is different right? For stock, the designer would have designed the boost to be very much within the thermal efficiency of the TC. If manufacturer don't recommend a TT, then putting one in is superfluous.

But then every manufacturer is different. I just think the European ones are more anal about giving proper instruction due to risk of been sued. So for TS case, it's really pretty straightforward advice.

When increasing boost, esp for a LPT, you will be operating very much at the edge of its thermal efficiency envelop, which should run a tad hotter (as long as it is well engineered) or more importantly, it increases the risk of overheating. So a TT will mitigate the risk.

Sometimes there's no straightforward RON to follow, eg -

Instruction - "Use 95, but 92 can be used also - caveat - with slight drop in power."

The ball is thrown back at the owner's court. laugh.gif

↡ Advertisement