ECU problem?

Rev2redline

Hi all,

my ride has a problem.. couldn't start at all...

Before it all happened, the central locking went hay wire, keep locking and unlocking by itself... after stopping the car at the carpark, the engine couldn't be switched on and the central locking still went on locking and unlocking... When it locks, the engine couldn't be started... only when it unlocks then it could be started...

after that, the engine could not be started at all... the central locking just kept locking by itself... couldn't open the driver's door at all... and engine could not be started...towed the car to the workshop...

Guy dealing in the alarm checked the alarm system and the central locking, there wasn't any problem... the central locking thing is now okay... no more locking and unlocking but the engine still couldn't start... there is the cranking sound but the engine refuses to start...

Mechanic suspected a problem with the ECU... can't really be cos the car is less than 5 years old...

it's a korean ride by the way, Kia Rio 1.3...

Any input from bro's/ sis's? Mechanic can't really determine the cause...

car has been stuck in the workshop for 2 days + now...

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

hi,

at 1st, there is the symptom: lock/unlock

then, your mechanic did something and it had gone, and also your car wont start.

what has he done?

every ECU will throw out error code for diagnostic purpose, does your mech has the device to read it (example OBDII reader)??

last time i read this kind of problem is related with: loose grounding.

BR

jigc

There are the few checks yr mech should do if the engine refuses to fire up

a)while cranking , check spark output with a line-spark tester - if no spark, check primary wire for 12volt supply to ignitors.Check groud wire.

b)Check fuel pump header pressure before starting. if low then the fuel pressure cannot be maitained due to pipe/hose leaking or air bubbles in the system.It can be due to wear out fuel pump.Check fuel injection pressure with fuel injector pressure tester - for Jap cars normally the pressure is within 5- 7kg/cm2.

C) Other causes can be due to crankshaft timing sensor faulty, camshaft and crankshaft slightly out of time due wear out timing belt or tensioner.

Hope this helps

PS 1st photo - spark tester

2nd photo- fuel injector pressure tester

post-8-1199730062_thumb.jpg

post-8-1199730063_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Hi..

there was 2 problems... first, the lock and unlock problem starts... after that, the car couldn't start...

The mechanic did use a device to read the diagnostic code from the ECU, but it there wasn't any code....

But thankfully, the problem was solved.. the fuel pump broke down...

Hi there,

Thanks for your input.. it turns out that the fuel pump had broken down, thus no fuel pressure to the engine... replaced it and now it's working fine...

However, now the central locking still gives problems.. It will come on and off, but it's inconvinent cos sometimes will get locked in the car.

The alarm system is disabled, but the central locking is still connected... it's kinda wierd cos the central locking will always keep the doors locked... and the driver's door will get permeanently locked, forcing me to climb out through the other door juz to come out...

Yr mech willhave to use a wire tracer to check the alarm or central locking system harness for grounding /short.I reckon the intermittent cause maybe due to one of more live wire/ connections not properly protected from the ground.

post-8-1200025196_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh

Hi..

mechanic has checked.. it was due to the Central Locking Mechanism That was jammed.. replaced it and the problem is solved...

Thanks for your help and valuable input... [:)]

can i ask u guyz.. will inproper tuning cause ECU to burn or die off?

just collected my ride back not long ago..

had only apexi neo installed few months back..

haven got the time to properly tune it, so only a few changes to the a/f ratio..

was driving without any problem all along..

suddenly one day wanted to start my car, but cannot start...

sent to one workshop, they said my voltage in mt ride is low/dim, could be short circuit..

sent to another workshop, told me fuel pump's connector got no power, so they manually power it..

now fuel pump moving, but injector not moving...

then they say its my ECU that die off...

cost of repair >2000... haiz....

after i collect my ride, i ask my friend, they say could be the inproper settings of the Apexi that causes the ECU to die off / burn..

but there is no burn mark or visible damage on the ECU...

plug coil burnt...

please advise...

i also have e-throttle installed...

after i collect my ride back, the workshop dismantled all my accessories, lights, devices(apexi, e throttle)...

i had fixed back my lightings, but haven fix back the e throttle and apexi...

was wondering if they might be the cause of the problem..

is there a possibility of either of them causing the problem?

can i connect back the apexi just for viewing, without adjusting the a/f?

as in dont connect the vtec wire and a/f/pressure wiring?

how about the e throttle? can i connect it back? thought of connecting them back myself...

may i know where to find the earth wire for the throttle sensor? is it on the plug itself (in the engine bay) where i can get the wire for the throttle sensor?