How to remove old paint in the iron gate?

Johnniboy

As above, want to repaint the iron gate for the HDB falt main entrance for the CNY. Saw one paint remover in DIY shop,but in small bottle. Any other chemical can do the trick?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

Paint for metal and wood are oil based.

You can try to scrap off whatever old paint you can but there will be some stubborn ones which will stick on.

Try to sand the surface rough with a rough grit sand paper ( about grit[;)]

Dear Johnniboy

The iron gate should have been painted by a oil based paint. Meaning it should be eneamel paint.

You will have to use this chemical called acetone. I;m not sure wats in the DIY bottle. But ACETONE is the standard paint remover for oil based paint use in labs. It's pretty safe. But try to wear rubber gloves if possible. It kinda smeels like chlorofoam if u know wat i mean. And it has a cooling effect when placed on the skin.

I think you can buy it from paint shops. Alternatively try the chemical stores... sorry i can't help u on this u'll have to do a yellow pages search.

Best

Nina

Thanks for all the prompt reply. Will try the find the product. Want to finish the whole repainting during the weekend. The old paint condition is getting worst since the house has been 7 years. Last time the contractor painted the new paint on the original paint and the surface looks rough and fading recently.

Hi Johnnieboy,

I dun quite understand why enamel paint should look rough and fading.Unless it's really there for many years and is baked under the sun constantly. Nevertheless after removing the old coat of paint throughly, you can go buy a good base paint for the door first before applying the final enamel coat.

The base paint will ensure that the enamel paint adheres to the metal and prevent flaking. this is a common mistake made by many who didn't do the base paint. I think the base paint is call primer for metals paint. Go to any paintshop and you should be able to get it there. After applying on primer and setting it, apply on your enamel paint. Do note that the enamel paint should be applied evenly and in a reasonable coat. By reasonable i mean enuf to cover up the primer and look good whilst not be so thick as to start to "tear" at the corners.

I assume you should know that there are glossy and matte enamels?

Oh also after painting if u still wish to keep your brush, you can also wash it with your remaining acetone although i think it's very expensive to do so. You can buy a bottle of kerosene to wash your brush and dirtied hands.

Goodluck!

Nina

Nina,

I think is last time the contractor did a bad job and now the surface get rough...now with the dirt and stain sit in..it looks bad on the surfase. Will try your advice see whether I can restore the iron gate to the original condition..

Thanks

As above, want to repaint the iron gate for the HDB falt main entrance for the CNY. Saw one paint remover in DIY shop,but in small bottle. Any other chemical can do the trick?

Thanks

just goto paint shop ask for bottle of "tek sai" ask for red oxide paint "ang tang chart"

protect ur wall & timber with at least 2 layers of newspaper and masking tape.

protect ur floor with at least 5 layer of newspaper. do not keep the door open, do it fr outside.

wear gloves. use old brush to paint it onto the gate.

have a few go at it. it sud either dissolve or flak off. if ur door open and wind comes, habis liaoz, the flaks will fly in.

once done, clean off with soapy water and allow to dry.

use red oxide primer to prepare base. before painting.

good idea but i thinking of getting a new gate instead.

but dunno if Bill Gate will b free to jaga my front doors.

↡ Advertisement