Girlfriend or wife earning more than their other half. Read on.

T_orange

Girlfriend or wife earning more than their other half. Read on.  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• No, my boyfriend or husband must earn more than me.
    • Yes, his earnings should not be lesser than mine by 10%
    • Yes, his earnings should not be lesser than mine by 30%
    • Yes, his earnings should not be lesser than mine by 50%
    • Yes, what he earns doesn't matter. Love conquers all.

Neutral Newbie

This poll is for the ladies. Lets say you are a high achiever and female. Would you accept a boyfriend or husband earning less than you? And, how much lower do you think your other half should make?

Β 

There have been many cases of more qualified women settling for less qualified guys. I am also curious about how open people really are about the disparity in earnings, especially in a relationship. [sly]

Β 

PS: Constructive comments pls. Percentage difference calculated based on salary difference between guy and gal divided by the gal's salary.

↑ Advertisement

OH, it is this topic again. I think there is a similar thread in this forum somewhere...

Usually for girls, love conquers all. They are speaking from their heart.

But problems may come years into their marriage.

What happen if the gf or wife finds that they are paying for a lot of thing because they are earning more?

Will they start to feel that something is not right?

If the bf is taking back home 1.5k every month and the gf 4.5k... it will be a challenging to upkeep the r/s...

I think the more interesting question is, will there be a switch in roles of the husband and wife if the wife is earning substantially more than the guy.

Β 

Where the guy will stay home and look after the kids and do most of the chores while the wife becomes the bread winner of the family.

I think most of the women do not really mind the disparity in income (unless is a very huge one, like half or more), its the guys who would not be able to accept themselves earning far too little than their partner...it explains why many very successful women remain single..

Exactly. I think naturally, the role will be switched, especially when the income or earning gap difference is too large....

Β 

Because the fact is, the husband dun have much disposal income compared to his wife....

I agree. Most of the women do not mind, but it is really a case to case basis. Their heart say dun mind, but the reality and practicality of life will force them to act other wise....

Β 

If the wife is super rich like Lin Fei in the golden path show, and they guy dun feel inferior at all, then thing will work out. The wife can pay for everything yet she dun feel the pinch and the burden because her money is 'unlimited'.

Β 

If both husband and wife are high income earner but still the wife earns more than the husband, generally still ok because they are already living a comfortable life. For eg, the wife take home 10k a month and the husband 8k a month. The earning disparity becomes rather negligible.

Β 

Other than this 2 scenarios, i think there will be a problem for the marriage down the road.

2nd that... most girls wouldn't mind one... more often than not... its the underlying pressure that the guy suffers that will lead to problems... we have to admit that althought given our westernised education, we are still very much an Asian society, even more so than compared to some developed Chinese provinces...

Generally, it will be hard on the guy. I am not saying that girls are materialistic, most are.

During, arguments especially, the wife will feel superior and will blurt out the 'I want to divorce' more easily as they believe they are capable to be single and look after the children themselves, without the useless husband.

Β 

If you are blessed to get a wife who earns more, and able to live happily. Then good for you.

My wife and I have no problems leh. initially, when we both started working, I earned a little more than she did. But over the years, her pay has gone up steadily and mine not so much. She is in private sector and I am in govt.

Β 

Now, her pay is almost double mine. I earn about 55% of what she does.

Β 

We are happily married, 2 kids and will celebrate our 15th anniversary next month.

Edited by Loki

i voted.. as long as is not half of mine.. i dun mind...

else, it is difficult to upkeep the marriage.. money is the root of all evil..

Β 

on the other hand, guys will be greatly affected, due to ego at work.

on the other hand, guys will be greatly affected, due to ego at work.

Β 

I got no ego that is hurt. Anyway, whenever she jokes and says that she's the smarter spouse cuz she earns more. I will reply that I married a spouse who earns more, so who is smarter? [laugh]

laugh.gif but generally.. guys' will always feel the pinch at some point of another, that they are not earning more than their wives..

though there are a small minortiy who dun..

If a guy's salary is significantly lower than his wife's, I think the guy should make an effort to switch to another better-paying job.

Β 

Nowadays, the salary is not always related to education level and lack of paper qualifications should not be cited as the main reason for not being able to land on a high-paying job.

Β 

I may be labeled as traditional.

Edited by Albeniz
↑ Advertisement