It's cheaper AND faster for me to drive OR cycle!!!

Boyboy

Unless I sell my car of course, then I eliminate all the fixed costs associated with the car..

I have a car and I'm keeping it, so lets examine the variable costs...

Season parking at work: $65, or $3.25 per working day

(SP at home is a must so non-neg)

Petrol to travel one way: $3, so $6 if I drive both ways

(based on 15km/l mileage and not sure what the petrol cost is. distance from home to work between 15-20km.. but closer to 15)

ERP: $0 [flowerface]

Carpool Revenue: $1 per trip. $2 per day

$ saved when I send my wife to school which is on the way: $1.80 (one way only)

$9.25- $2 - $1.80

Daily variable cost $5.45.

Pubic tpt for one day $4 for me..

ok la.. still $1 or so more expensive [:p]

But then...I cycle some days. minus petrol costs (and no carpool revenue) as well..

Time taken to drive: 30min

Cycle: 40 min

Bus: can't be bothered to try. Online bus guide claims 54 mins so I dare not imagine

Edited by Boyboy
↡ Advertisement

U never count wear and tear?

U also never count wear on tires if you drive more often and need to change earlier...

Also never count on servicing if your drive more often and thus need to service more times....

U got count the cost of happiness for your wife when she no need to wake up 10 minutes earlier because she have to take public transport....

and also cost of hospitalisation from the risk of you catching lung cancer from the bus/lorries fumes that you have to breath when u cycle...... or the risk from being knowcked off your bicycle from an errant driver......

Counting all those above... u lost nothing from driving to work everyday.....

u didnt mention wad e route.

Btw dun trust the online bus guide. I kena played out so many times.

Monday @ 820am it stated 17min, i reached bus stop at 830am. Waited till 9am bus come but cannot board! [furious]

Even when the bus come bo bao sure can board hor. dam lousy!

TL in the end took a cab to work. [rifle]

Btw if cycling and driving only 10min diff can rotate between e two lor...

let's put it this way, if i don't cycle to work i'll cycle some other times, so that answers for risk

granted, the traffic is alot heavier during peak hours, but it also means that it is slower. no drunk drivers too, though maybe got sleepy buggers [laugh]

wear and tear, ok la... also never factor in the taxi fare i'll have to include now and then, if i rely exclusively on pubics..

pollution, yes. [dizzy] . probably cancels out the exercise i get when i ride to work [laugh]

but hey, unless u live in a sealed box with air purifier, singapore is pretty much polluted everywhere u go.. it's an urban city after all [:/]

i see a hand in the corner.. yes! good point there about the sweat. thankfully my workplace has a shower, though i have to take the lift to the 20th floor when my office is on the 5th [laugh]

i leave my bike in my car which is parked at work.. that's why i say drive/cycle.. cos i send my wife to school some days then drive to work after that. other days i may need to go somewhere else after work so i need the car also..

i don't trust it.. i just quote the stated travelling time as a comparison. they never say whether peak or off-peak. but the distance is 20 fare stages, so i guess it's a pretty long ride.

anyway, buses take the longest and most profitable route. it's never about the commuters' convenience..

btw i actually intended to put a poll

my choices are between bus and driving/cycling..

of course someone will say bus/cycling is the best in terms of $ saved and i'd agree with that [nod]

Give ur wiv d ka & ride 2 work if ka is not required in ur job scope. If u cycle below 20km/h, hardly sweat (Unless stand straight also sweet).

I give my wiv d ka & i ride 2 work. I m office bound. If i need 2 go anywhere, it will me & my bike. If 2 far, juz bring d bike on 2 MRT.

taking a bus sucks la.unless u take a bus when nobody else is taking den mayb u wil b faster.other den dat..forget it.taking a feeder bus from boon lay int to my house can take abt 45mins(inclusive waiting time).n it is always packed.so sometimes when i go to jurong pt...i rather take a cab (whenever my car is not available).

cant imagine those taking bus for a long ride.i tink can vomit blood liao. [sweatdrop]

she refuses to drive. i'd gladly let her if she would.

i sweat at 0km/h if there is no aircon. so i just cruise at my usual 25-30km/h and treat it as a light workout..

serious cyclists will scoff, but i've been quite sedentary so it works for me [thumbsup]

U also never count wear on tires if you drive more often and need to change earlier...

Also never count on servicing if your drive more often and thus need to service more times....

U got count the cost of happiness for your wife when she no need to wake up 10 minutes earlier because she have to take public transport....

and also cost of hospitalisation from the risk of you catching lung cancer from the bus/lorries fumes that you have to breath when u cycle...... or the risk from being knowcked off your bicycle from an errant driver......

[laugh] Wa lauz...like that if throw in all the intangeable benefits will never end [flowerface]

u didnt mention wad e route.

Btw dun trust the online bus guide. I kena played out so many times.

Monday @ 820am it stated 17min, i reached bus stop at 830am. Waited till 9am bus come but cannot board! [furious]

Even when the bus come bo bao sure can board hor. dam lousy!

TL in the end took a cab to work. [rifle]

Btw if cycling and driving only 10min diff can rotate between e two lor...

Ya man...thats the problem with public transport during peak hours. Not only u face problems failing to board buses, but also not being able to board the trains. [bounce1]

btw i actually intended to put a poll

my choices are between bus and driving/cycling..

of course someone will say bus/cycling is the best in terms of $ saved and i'd agree with that [nod]

Thats becos many pple always only look at the $$$$. They don't consider the many advantages why people buy their rides [nod]

Count, count, count - so what still have to pay for car.

Nothing in the world will replace car - even teleportation (a.k.a. Beam me up scotty' need to go to teleport station.

Only way is everyone work from home - all homes comes wired to do office work. Outdoor work then no choice lah...

I am one that favour cycling than to stuck in a jam or waste time waiting for the inefficient public transport.

It is not about money, it is the freedom that I can feel without having retriction on the road every morning. [:)]

If the route is well planned, I can avoid the fume from cars and buses.

nay......working from home still need transport ocassionally.

Having a car is like having another option; similiar to bicycle, motorbike and public transport. Pick the one which is most efficient to travel at that point of time.

That is why I never understand why ppl willing to drive to town for shopping; besides traffic congession and still yet to bear for an hour to get into carparks. I prefer to take the train. [:)]