Anyone seen the new Mazda 6?

Matix

Neutral Newbie

Reported in Straits Times today

2.5L S$98,000

2.0l S$86,000

That is a whopping difference! (e.g. compare Cefiro 2.0 and 2.3...)

I am curious the newspaper report is pitting this car against BMW 320 and Lexus IS250, not the usual Camry, Accord and Cefiro.

Edited by Matix
↡ Advertisement

Very good review from ST today.

Said to be a better buy than BMW 320i. ... according to the review.

2.5L i4 170bhp 226Nm 11km/L

impressive figures.

what's important is, at this price it nicely undercut the sibling - Ford Mondeo Ghia (with almost similar specs) by $15k, and the basic Mondeo by $5k.

And compares very favourably against Thai made Camry and Accord.

I saw the red hatchback version at the Kamping Ampat showroom today. Material and build quality is superb.

11km/L for 2.5L ? I seriously doubt so. 9 to 10km/l already very good for a 2.5L.

Edited by Shouyi

Neutral Newbie

Thats only figures, not as true as what we think.

Anyway i think thats a good proposition over the ubiqutous & anonymous camry... as compared to accord, i think its a good alternative. All the uncles only believe in Honla acod and toyota camly.... u'd be sure that they will say 6 properly, may be they will say LUCK. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Personally, think it's a very silly review, comparing it to 320i and IS250, completely different class and segment of car, type of buyers also different. Btw , pls stay away from the mazda 6 now, gurantee mazda will drop the price like crazy in future and the losses for owners will be huge. Mazda are well known for that, they don't protect the prices

Neutral Newbie
[thumbsup] Agree...Mazda pricing history always like this...Although I'll say the 6 looks cool, still people buying now may bang their heads against walls later...the pricing difference is just too much!!!

Ya, how to compare against 320i and IS? Totally different class of car. It's like comparing a Honda Accord 3.5 with a BMW 5-series and Lexus GS300.

i do not agree with you that comparing the new 6 with European cars like the 3-Series and A4, or its Japanese counterpart IS, is absurd. mind you, the article only says it's better value than the 320i, not the higher spec 323/325/335.

just because these cars have long been associated with the luxury segment does not automatically make them good. and being a mass-market brand doesn't mean they can't introduce luxury models (see Toyota for example). i think it's still got to do with badge snobbery or old impression of the Mazda brand. maybe it's how these cars are priced in Singapore too.

but i do agree that waiting out for the price to drop is a good move. past experience have proved that Mazda's introductory prices tend to drop after a couple of months.

Neutral Newbie

i agree to wait for the drop too cos my bro bought a mazda3 for 62k around late '06..

next month drop to 54K.. he curse & swear at himself.. [furious][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Only saw it from the site. Looks great. Th exterior definitely looks much better than the current one.

Erm, 2.5L but FC so good huh?