Monk is a professional "job"?

Kelpie

1. I'm seeing the trend of younger and more educated people becoming Monks. They drove big cars, talk better and don't live the way the Monk that we saw in Movies. I may be wrong, they are like well paid social workers these days. This is just my personal impression.

2. In Japan, Monks have fashion show to showcase nice and modern robes. If I'm correct, Jap Monks can have wife too.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

would think that Buddhism is a philosophy of life... in layman term, i guess i should say "how we suppose to live our lives"..... i tend to think that monkhood is a "package" that provide the whole "path" for one to practise "life" (in Buddhism term).

I guess these people may be practising the "way" in progressive manner...?? in practising good deeds like being a social worker, helping people around u, refrain from supporting the "meat" industries, practising meditation, learning the dharma and the teaching of Buddha etc.. thereby "walks" the "life" of being a true Buddhist. Hence, perhaps whether u wear a monk's rhobe or staying in a temple or not may not matter so very much because staying in a temple helps u focus in ur Buddhism studies (in a very focused environment) and wearing a monk's rhobe reminds u to stay focused.

Having said all these, we also have to remember that we are afterall human beings that require basic needs like a job to at least survive (since they are not a "full-fledge" monk or whatsoever....). As i said, it should be progressive and at this point of time, i think its certain things in the mind that have not been cleared in order to let go the basic human needs and that bit of basic desire.

Bro, its a hard way. Being a monk is no easy way. just like one trying to quit smoking, some perhaps prefer a progressive manner. Life is good with a "way" to follow, be it the Buddhist philosophy or a religion, all helps u to let go and be a great person - provided we understand the true meaning behind every teaching and not bend the teaching like some people with ill intentions. [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Edited by Vicz
↡ Advertisement