Overtaking At Raised Zebra Crossing

Bearbear1494

To the driver of the silver Hyundai Matrix OPC travelling on Tampines St 45 earlier this morning at around 6.50am :

Your attempt to overtake me on the zebra crossing was downright foolish, selfish & just shows complete disregard to traffic rules.

I stopped in front of the raised crossing as there was a few school children crossing over to the bus stop ahead. You came up from behind and was to my right, ready to just dash over. If I had not looked into my mirror & saw that you were not slowing down enough, and had I not blared my horn (even though I was ahead of you), you'd have most probably mowed down the poor child in the middle of the raised crossing.

The child, if you recall, was stunned for a few moments after you jammed on the brakes. Now, as I'm driving an OPC myself & while I can understand the feverish rush one has to make when one has overslept (or whatever caused the delay) in order to make the 7am no-move timing, such driving behaviour is still unjustified. Think about it, if you're really late, how much is $20 for the coupon or even a $10K fine for not having one displayed after 7am, compared to one innocent human life?

I sincerely hope that this is a one-off incident on your part. Please remember, NEVER, EVER, attempt to overtake recklessly no matter how big of a hurry you're in. More so in an estate where there's a high volume of human traffic, and NEVER on a zebra crossing. No amount of money you can spend can ever justify the blood of a human being on your hands.

↡ Advertisement

More and more drivers are not respecting pedestrians at the zebra crossing.

Despite getting ready to walk across, I have encountered quite a number of drivers who simply ignored my presence and cheong across.

last week also got 1 cheesepie blue sonata teksi SH 787*J, drive into sliproad and reverse back into main road to do U turn. thing is he nearly reversed into a couple of skool kids who walked pass the rear of his teksi. dunno how much time he tot he cud shave off. the round abt was just 10m away.

precisely why the tp chaps choose to station the camera crews in neighbourhood areas - where fatality is most probable [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

While I agree that motorists should always slow down at such crossings, pedestrians have a duty to look & double check before crossing, even at a zebra crossing. However, in SG, most pedestrians tend to take zebra crossings for granted & just walk over without looking. So the way I see it, the problem lies with both careless/impatient drivers & complacent pedestrians alike.

To the driver of the silver Hyundai Matrix OPC travelling on Tampines St 45 earlier this morning at around 6.50am :

Your attempt to overtake me on the zebra crossing was downright foolish, selfish & just shows complete disregard to traffic rules.

I stopped in front of the raised crossing as there was a few school children crossing over to the bus stop ahead. You came up from behind and was to my right, ready to just dash over. If I had not looked into my mirror & saw that you were not slowing down enough, and had I not blared my horn (even though I was ahead of you), you'd have most probably mowed down the poor child in the middle of the raised crossing.

The child, if you recall, was stunned for a few moments after you jammed on the brakes. Now, as I'm driving an OPC myself & while I can understand the feverish rush one has to make when one has overslept (or whatever caused the delay) in order to make the 7am no-move timing, such driving behaviour is still unjustified. Think about it, if you're really late, how much is $20 for the coupon or even a $10K fine for not having one displayed after 7am, compared to one innocent human life?

I sincerely hope that this is a one-off incident on your part. Please remember, NEVER, EVER, attempt to overtake recklessly no matter how big of a hurry you're in. More so in an estate where there's a high volume of human traffic, and NEVER on a zebra crossing. No amount of money you can spend can ever justify the blood of a human being on your hands.

If someone crossing in front of you, that Matrix will crash straight into a human.

So scary.......shocked.gif

Please post the number plate of the idiot here so we can [rifle] well and good.

But seriously, the plate number is for record purposes if sometime in the future he mowes down a few children.

More and more drivers are not respecting pedestrians at the zebra crossing.

Despite getting ready to walk across, I have encountered quite a number of drivers who simply ignored my presence and cheong across.

Yes, this happens very often at the zebra crossing outside my place, so have to be extra careful when crossing the road.

But when I change roles and become driver, I realise that cannot blame these drivers totally, many many dumb people standing near or even AT the crossing have no intention of crossing - they are waiting there for taxi, waiting for friends to pickup etc. Estimated about 5 out of 10 times I slow down or even stop for nothing. [thumbsdown]

Neutral Newbie

Some ppl is like that one got money to buy car no money to afford to be late tear $20 coupon maybe lunch time also can come out have lunch see [gorgeous] also. Drive car also so rush must well take public transport can sleep on board also.

Baffling to me is how can someone assume that it's OK to pull something like that off when it's obvious that somebody is crossing the road? If I was just stopping to drop off somebody right in front of the zebra crossing, I'd have my hazard lights on. Besides, even if I was & the hazards were NOT on, one should always play safe & just wait a few moments before moving off. Dunno how some people think really. [shakehead]

(edited)

I would, but I didn't take note of it. Was too busy getting the child off the middle of the crossing to the other side. He was still in shock from the sound of my horn & the screeching of that guy's tires. Not to mention seeing 2 huge headlights coming straight at you. [shakehead]

Edited by Bearbear1494

Typical Sgp mentality of 一毛钱大过牛车轮. Ten cents bigger than buffalo cart wheel. Want to save money, so buy OPC since not really using during restricted hours (save roadtax, insurance & registration), squeeze with thousands of people to buy toilet paper at discounted price (save a few cents), drive all the way from one end of the island to the other just to go to some shopping centre that is having a sale, just to buy items cheaper by $2-3. But in the process spend more than the savings amount on petrol etc.

So given this kind of mentality, $20 to reach destination is too much. Might as well take taxi, then save the petrol & wear & tear. Knock down someone during the mad rush? That one is happen already then see how lor. [hur][hur][hur]