Life of a Civil Servant....

Dearjoshua

Neutral Newbie

Hi, any bros here in civil service or stuatory boards?? how is life as compared to private sector?? OT, benefits, etc??

↡ Advertisement

I should think there's huge difference especially with the work culture part. Just look back at your experience with govt bodies ...

Even GLC and MNC got huge difference already. This one speaking from experience.

Neutral Newbie

yes...serve NS liao...am considering mid-career switch from private sector to public...though pay/promotion will be stagnant coz not scholar...but if the work is not so stressful and provides more job security..and if I get in at high pay for the advertised position...then maybe can consider [laugh]

work culture different.. but i never work in public sector before.. only heard my friends complaining about long hours, without OT pay, wayang, etc..

Even private sectors also different cultures. work in US, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan's compannies.. So far, US is the most situable for me, as long as work done swee swee, no one bother about you.. Malaysian's company to me sucks.. lots of rule and regulations but no one follow.. Singapore company remind me of the days in army.. Japan company is most stress.. dunno why..

Hi, any bros here in civil service or stuatory boards?? how is life as compared to private sector?? OT, benefits, etc??

I think life is quite good, considering economy did well.

End of this month PB and MAC on 31 Mar 08, Growth Bonus in 25 Apr 08, and then VMB also

My boss is only 32, I foresee he will take home around $42K total bonus end of Apr without including salary. With salary, should be about $60K for Mar and Apr alone.

I dont even think many come close to earning that in almost a year

Car is fully paid for Camry, stays in fully paid condo in town.

[:)]

ur boss must be one of the elite types. dun forget most of those in civil service consist of those lower reaches ones. their salary wif bonus? struggling to hit 30k. some are just slightly over 30k.

Neutral Newbie

wah..is yr boss a scholar?? think as long as able to have positive mindset on scholars and their entitled privilage...guess will then be able to survive in civil sector...just like officers in army eating meals from plates and forks with CQ serving them...and we are just soldiers eating from packet food...haha..

Now financial markets so bad, I also want to be in civil service........ [crazy]

yes...serve NS liao...am considering mid-career switch from private sector to public...though pay/promotion will be stagnant coz not scholar...but if the work is not so stressful and provides more job security..and if I get in at high pay for the advertised position...then maybe can consider [laugh]

If you are comfortable with the pay, then should really consider. Remember they have 13 month AWS and also the bonuses, the bonuses!

Only thing you need to grapple with is the work culture. Because they are not profit driven, a lot of things they do will appear to be wayang. You serve NS before, you should know how it is like. [;)]

Turbocharged

my army buddy works in the public sector. He told me his side got alot of ex regular officers (must retire after 45). many of them are scholars and they run the dept like army too [lipsrsealed] . He told me thou the job is stable but can be quite stressful. They dont take NO for an answer. Then again, that depend where public sector u r going to. I am sure there will be nice boss that will appreciate your contribution. [:)]