Conservancy charges - Public Sector > Pte Sector?

Apollo

Conservancy charges - Public Sector > Pte Sector?  

52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, very unforgivable to overcharge us
    • Yes, LL no choice but to accept
    • No comments, I have loans to service/ family to support
    • No, HDB's prices r always affordable and subsidized.
    • No lah, this is just hearsay from anti-MIW

Despite freeze, HDB residents still unhappy over S&C charges

They feel rates are too high compared with charges for condo residents

By Mavis Toh

THE 14 town councils under the People's Action Party are all freezing their service and conservancy (S&C) rates, but some HDB residents still feel the charges are too high.

Mr Richard Lim, 42, lives in a five-room flat in Pasir Ris, but pays more for parking and maintenance charges than some condominium residents.

The accountant pays $163.50 a month: $90 for parking and $73.50 in S&C fees.

A check with 10 condominiums found what residents in private estates pay can go as low as $150.

Mr Lim said: 'My friend who lives in a similar-size unit in a Bishan condo pays $200 and he gets so many more facilities.'

Writing to The Straits Times Forum recently, he asked why, despite fewer perks, HDB residents pay more than some condo residents: 'Are they overcharging residents or are they not giving enough value for the amount we pay?'

His letter ignited discussions in at least three online forums, with many asking why S&C charges in HDB flats were only a little lower than those in private estates.

In Parliament last month, Dr Teo Ho Pin, coordinating chairman of the PAP town councils, announced there will be no hike in their S&C charges this year.

The move is in response to Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam's call recently for them to follow the Government's lead in freezing fees for its services.

S&C rates for Singaporeans living in public housing can range from $18.50 for a one-room HDB flat to $61.50 for a five-room unit to $102 for an HUDC unit. Non-Singaporeans pay up to $30 more.

S&C charges in HDB estates are collected by the town councils and go towards cleaning, grass cutting, lift maintenance and upkeep of common areas. Costs for cyclical work such as re-painting are also taken from this kitty.

A public housing resident who owns a car has to pay between $65 and $90 for a parking spot. This, according to HDB residents, is what causes the overall charge to rocket.

Parking charges are collected by the HDB which maintains the carparks.

In a Forum letter replying to Mr Lim, the HDB explained that, unlike private property, HDB parking spaces are not included in the selling price of the flat.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/...ory_217385.html

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Recently got newspaper article about town council having so much moolah that they dunno what to do with it...

ended up investing the funds. [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

Using our money to earn more money. end up loss and say no money. in the end will increase the charges.

yup HDB has been subsidized. all flat owners subsidizing them to build tall tall building and a CEO office that puts Durai' ex Office in the same precinct to shame... except for the golden tap and shower.

and of cos the old office building at Jln Bt Merah became a white elephant for a guud long time too.

i think mrbrownshow did a podcast on this issue before.. quite funny siah

in fact, their S&C charges r even more ex then those ran by CST and LTK. Given their scale of economy, i mean sud we wait for Malboro Tan to step up and say

This sud nbr have happened, I am sorry it has happened. It's an honest mistake. Let's close rank, raise my pay and move on.

Neutral Newbie

No, he will say that PAP HDB more brighter than oppostion and have more amendities to maintain.

But HDB cut cost by hire FT to maintain and out source their maintenace contract to the lowest bidders.Still more expensive,I think we don't think to pay scholars to have cost control without passing on the saving to us.Hire FT and i think they would care for the interest of sporean more than our so called elities who suck all the $$$ out of us only.

I welcome FTs to fight for the next election........

I suspect later they will tell the pple,HDB $$$$ lose in subprime,no choice have to pay more as we don't have audit one.Who noe another NKF sage part 2.......

A few years back, I read an article on Busxxx Tixx. The reporter said Hxx stuxxx as they paid very high cost for the land for MSCP. The land is a small parcel in between the flat, so it can not be used to build more flat and yet the price they paid is similar to the price for building the flat.

Hence very high land cost translate to high interest paid and hence high Hxx parking rate. Not sure are they still in red but based on the report a few years back, the parking division is always in red bc of the high land cost.

Again, we are make to pay for someone's mistake [shakehead]

Finally things have blown up to a bigger scale now...for years I've been questioning why is it that HDB are charging sooo bloody much if a family has 1 or 2 cars.

sometimes even can park for free for 2 cars per unit. Of course 1st car is confirmed. 2nd car is many a times subjected to availability.

Or maybe we should just stop building HDBs + govt carparks since it takes such great effort for them to "hear" our complains about S&C + carpark charges.

Just over the weekend, I was thinking to myself, how great a loss if URA start to extend free carpark on saturdays too? There will be loss of income for those coupon parking on saturdays but I think the social benefits of this could outweigh the small income gain. Just imagine going to your parent's place on a weekend and probably even stay over until sunday and don't worry about tearing coupons for the whole day?

The rich don't feel it because their parents probably already stay in private properties where they don't pay for parking.

↡ Advertisement