Philip Soundbar HTS 8100

Cavili

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Any users of the above home theater system and would like to know what's your opinion on the sound quality and 5.1 surround effect. Please let me know where can I buy the cheapest and the price of $1400.00 was given by a neigbourhood electrical store. Any inputs is very much appreciated.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

this is not a 5.1 system although it tries to emulate one. in order to get good sound of the surround channels, you have to have walls on either side of the system. if there is an empty void on either side of the sound bar (eg the the dining room is on one side of the living room) the surround effect will not be as effective.

i would recommend a full 5.1 system for the price unless you do not want the trouble of concealing wires and placement of speakers.

Supercharged

Was at the Philips showroom in Toa Payoh Lorong 1 to tengok another home theatre system. My old setup included ceiling-mounted rear speakers and I was thinking of extending the speaker cable running in the false ceiling to floor/shelf level and hooking them up to the Philips rear speakers. Guess what? Philips said once I cut the speaker cables (comes with proprietery connectors; not plug-in type) included in the set, the warranty for the whole set mati. Got an LG set instead.

Edited by Kklim

Neutral Newbie

no matter how good is a home theater system, even with real 5.1 speaker configurations, still not as good as real theater. unless you watch lots of DVD by rental. but the experience still can not compare with GV.

imho, these consumer grade home theater systems offer very limited experience for sound. if you really like watching movies at home, go to adelphi and visit those hifi shops to take a look. but still need a dedicated room with some basic accoustic treatment at least.

Neutral Newbie

Due to space constraint, am looking at one piece system, no messy wire and wouldn't mind the surround effect but have in is practical and convenience.

Neutral Newbie

in that case, i feel the monitor stock speakers are quite ok. you only need a good DVD player. get a DVD player with HDMI output. may cost $200 only. save your money for other purpose.

↡ Advertisement