Yet Another Car Catches Fire...

Typhoonz

On 9/21/2020 at 8:01 AM, Mkl22 said:

Shopping centre will have a sprinkler system. So not so bad

In case u wondering, water and high consumption battery don’t play well and may further extend the burning

40 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

In case u wondering, water and high consumption battery don’t play well and may further extend the burning

Not from what I have read. Sprinkler systems still help a lot. 
anyway I’m not an expert. 

Honda Vezel on fire
Another hybrid vehicle with Lithium ion battery pack goes up in flame.

The fire had grown so big that all the scdf fast response rider can do is watch.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

On 9/20/2020 at 12:05 PM, Mustank said:

On 9/20/2020 at 12:22 PM, Carbon82 said:

The same issue? The first batch of Ioniq taxi was put on our road by Comfort Delgro in Q2 2018, so could be the those affected batch? 

Recall alert: Hyundai Ioniq in the hot seat

Hyundai is recalling 10,575 Ioniq Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid models from 2017 and 2018 to replace a wiring relay in the drive system.

The recall mirrors a similar problem announced last month with the Ioniq's platform-mate, the Kia Niro, which was also recalled.

Bad connections in a drive-system relay can cause the relay to overheat and lead to a fire, the automaker said in the recall notice. Drivers may see some early warning signs if the HEV warning light appears while driving, or the car won't start.

Like in the Niro, the relay is located under the back seat and can result in the rear seat getting warm or even catching fire. Parents placing children back there should be especially vigilant.

In the meantime, if backseat passengers say their seats are getting warm, it may not be just the optional bun warmers.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:19 AM, Ct3833 said:

this recall was issued in 2018, Comfort and LTA cant possibly be leaving the problem there for so long. Hope this case is not a new problem.😅

These case might be linked. The potential root cause of the fire is with the LG batteries. 

Grab recalls full fleet of Hyundai Kona Electric cars

All Hyundai Kona Electric cars here will be recalled to fix a flaw which could cause them to go up in flames. According to Hyundai agent Komoco, there are 228 Kona Electric cars registered here. Komoco says it has submitted an application of recall to the Land Transport Authority.

Meanwhile, ride-hailing firm Grab, which has 200 Kona Electrics in its fleet, has informed drivers of the recall.

In a message earlier this week, Grab told drivers that the recall was for checking, and if necessary, replacing the batteries. It says the exercise will take around 90 minutes for each vehicle.

The batteries are supplied by South Korea's LG Chem. The recall is part of a global campaign involving more than 76,000 vehicles to date, sparked off by more than a dozen fires in South Korea and elsewhere in the last two years.

Elsewhere, General Motors has just issued a recall of 60,000 units of the Chevrolet Bolt, which also uses batteries from LG Chem. 

• Praise 6
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Blueray said:

another video of the recent incident, looks like battery fire ?

Very likely, given that the battery are installed at the rear of the car, and also the explosion nearer to the rear of the car, the fire could be related to the battery. 

b4c0529e05bcd217eae5e64bf276e9ee9cd28374

• Praise 8
  • Shocked 1

34 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Very likely, given that the battery are installed at the rear of the car, and also the explosion nearer to the rear of the car, the fire could be related to the battery. 

b4c0529e05bcd217eae5e64bf276e9ee9cd28374

Ownself route battery to the back Mean insurance don’t cover liao

10 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Ownself route battery to the back Mean insurance don’t cover liao

No lah, the photo show the layout for Hybrid variant, where the battery packs for the motor was housed behind the rear passenger seat.

• Praise 7

4 hours ago, Blueray said:

another video of the recent incident, looks like battery fire ?

it seem some issue getting the water right at the start?

1 hour ago, mikk123 said:

oh, has it got to do with recent rainy days? too much rain cause the battery to short circuit? 

Doubt so. Japan got snowing. The moisture would be worse than here.

3 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

No lah, the photo show the layout for Hybrid variant, where the battery packs for the motor was housed behind the rear passenger seat.

You frightened me.

Lucky mine is the petrol variant. 

My PI already rectified the recall thingy(stop/step) years ago.

Anyway if don't see me around for a period probably your might want to pray pray me to give yours 4 digits. 🤗

Correction. Christian here no pray pray. 

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Beregond said:

One of the firemen's equipment was not working well too!

6 hours ago, Beregond said:

I tink it's rookies...yellow suit was the instructor...did the job nonetheless👏

• Praise 2

7 hours ago, Beregond said:

I think the water pump in the fire engine not ON yet at the beginning.  You don't hear the pump sound.

Without tge pump, the water pressure will be too low.

• Praise 1