Yet Another Car Catches Fire...

Typhoonz

32 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

PML will probably ask the mechanic and the jiuhu kia will say 怎么酱的?

Skip the 东西在哪里 part

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

46 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

That means it depends on what will burn first. In an extreme   case, a fuse might still be there after a whole car is burnt doen😅

IMHO.
Must have experience to use the correct wire.
Typical fuses are the same just that have a casing for easy handling. 
They are also  precise in terms of ampere and can features like slow or fast. 

A fuse is used as an indication of a problem.
A fuse should never be used for troubleshooting.
E.g.  a 5A fuse got burnt,  one cannot replace with a 10A fuse and troubleshoot. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Vinceng said:

It's a few months old BMW X1. 

First hand encounter from owner - fuse replacement at authorised agent, Performance Motors led to the fire.

https://www.facebook.com/754466095/posts/10159375410766096/?d=n

Don't add salt add vinegar lah...

The car confirm >1 year old. The one caught fire was the pre-facelift F48 X1 sDrive18i xLine, which the last units was registered in October 2019. 

Can easily see the difference in the taillight. 

258w6Gc.jpg

Newer facelift X1 xLine (officially launched by PML on 2 October 2019)

xCRhJkG.jpg

As a final reminder, please do not post unverified information here. Thank you.

• Praise 18

8 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Don't add salt add vinegar lah...

The car confirm >1 year old. The one caught fire was the pre-facelift F48 X1 sDrive18i xLine, which the last units was registered in October 2019. 

Can easily see the difference in the taillight. 

258w6Gc.jpg

Newer facelift X1 xLine (officially launched by PML on 2 October 2019)

xCRhJkG.jpg

As a final reminder, please do not post unverified information here. Thank you.

Never mind lar ......  :secret-laugh:

It's still a BMW on fire ... :grin:

• Haha! 6

Extremely curious.  Let's say the car was under warranty and the insurance promised 1 for 1 exchange.

How does it work?

The insurer bids COE for a new car to give to the owner? Or a second hand car is given to the owner? Or cash equivalent of a new car to the owner?

• Praise 1

Twincharged
9 hours ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
Must have experience to use the correct wire.
Typical fuses are the same just that have a casing for easy handling. 
They are also  precise in terms of ampere and can features like slow or fast. 

A fuse is used as an indication of a problem.
A fuse should never be used for troubleshooting.
E.g.  a 5A fuse got burnt,  one cannot replace with a 10A fuse and troubleshoot. 

I think you ment.. A fuse should never be used for masking the problem. Like a 5A fuse got burnt, one cannot replace with a 10a fuse..

• Praise 4

28 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

I think you ment.. A fuse should never be used for masking the problem. Like a 5A fuse got burnt, one cannot replace with a 10a fuse..

Yes, that's also a way to look at it.
How it is looked at depends on the individual - mechanic, owner, friend, online user, etc. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Extremely curious.  Let's say the car was under warranty and the insurance promised 1 for 1 exchange.

How does it work?

The insurer bids COE for a new car to give to the owner? Or a second hand car is given to the owner? Or cash equivalent of a new car to the owner?

Everyone here knows  your car is very new, dont try anything funny ok!😄😄

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 9

2 hours ago, Philipkee said:

How does it work?

In short, cash for new car of equivalent spec.

Must make sure that the promise is in black & white.

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/driver-33-thankful-be-alive-after-his-bmw-bursts-flames-bke?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1615164583

If he had portable fire extinguisher in the car.. perhaps.. his car could be saved.. and will not be a total loss..

Frankly imho pls do not think putting a fire extinguisher in your car you will be able to do much in those situations.

Imagine you unlucky started to notice burning smell and see smoke seeping out of bonnet in front while driving. Would you quickly stop the car, quickly go trunk to take the fire extinguisher and then pop open the bonnet to try to put out the fire? Most likely you would have run far away from your car thinking life is important as scare the car will combust spontaneously.. Or if smoke seeping into cabin while you in car, I doubt you will put on detective hat to check where emitting the smoke and try to put it out. Most likely you would have run far far away thanking your dear God for pointing you to the smoke instead of chibabom straight away.  

I would think the fire extinguisher is good only when your car is not the one on fire, but using it to put out fire in another car. Few would have the courage to try to pop open the bonnet period worrying to get burnt by any fire inside the engine bay.

Frankly am I thinking wrongly?

• Praise 7

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/driver-33-thankful-be-alive-after-his-bmw-bursts-flames-bke?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1615164583

If he had portable fire extinguisher in the car.. perhaps.. his car could be saved.. and will not be a total loss..

depends on the type of car, unless its a rare a valuable car i rather let it burn. not sure if one can claim insurance if it is a minor fire and further more, the car can spend months in the workshop to sort out the wiring and even then it might not be truly fixed and can have gremlins later one. just let it burn and claim in full.

• Praise 3

37 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Frankly imho pls do not think putting a fire extinguisher in your car you will be able to do much in those situations.

Imagine you unlucky started to notice burning smell and see smoke seeping out of bonnet in front while driving. Would you quickly stop the car, quickly go trunk to take the fire extinguisher and then pop open the bonnet to try to put out the fire? Most likely you would have run far away from your car thinking life is important as scare the car will combust spontaneously.. Or if smoke seeping into cabin while you in car, I doubt you will put on detective hat to check where emitting the smoke and try to put it out. Most likely you would have run far far away thanking your dear God for pointing you to the smoke instead of chibabom straight away.  

I would think the fire extinguisher is good only when your car is not the one on fire, but using it to put out fire in another car. Few would have the courage to try to pop open the bonnet period worrying to get burnt by any fire inside the engine bay.

Frankly am I thinking wrongly?

Many years ago, when i was at a traffic light on a hot Sunday afternoon, fellow motorists horned and pointed out to me that smoke was coming out from the front grille of my car. 

I got out to check, opened the bonnet, and saw a small fire near the front of the engine compartment. By then, all the cars had departed from the lights, and I did not have an extinguisher nor water in the car. I flagged down passing motorists, and one of them handed me his flask of water, and I managed to douse the fire. After that I continued driving the car for the rest of the day (I was performing Ah-Yee Chia duties with a bunch of gals in my car).

It was later found that the alternator cable somehow caught fire, and I got it replaced and insulated. End of story.

The car - a Lancia Thema Turbo ie 16v.

• Praise 7

Supersonic

Remember guys, fuse protects the wire.

Let's say a 5A fuse was factory fitted on a certain wire size gauge. The normal electrical load it's expected to carry is about 3A.

Ah beng want to install some fancy device or lighting, he goes to ah seng shop. Ah seng doesn't know much about electrical, he only knows how to install that device and tap onto existing wire. So he chose that 5A fuse wire and tapped onto it. Then he swapped the 5A fuse for 10A bcuz of the added device, so the fuse don't blow. Now he's happy, he thinks he does a good job. But he didn't know, that wire size was spec to carry lower current of 3A, not 7,8,9 A that is now passing through and the 10A fuse looks happy.

As the smaller wire size is now carrying much larger current, resistance builds up, the copper wire heats up, insulation gets hot. Eventually, insulation melted, and since it's bundled with 20/30 wires, everything heats up and finally...poof, a fire starts.

The rest is history.

• Praise 15

IMO 

everyone should have an extinguisher in their car

if we do, we can help ourselves or others and the result is that we have enough extinguishers for any fire

kind of like herd immunity..

I’ll be keen to know if BMW covers that car

not good for them or us if they simply push the blame and honestly who can they push it too ?

• Praise 1

Twincharged
9 minutes ago, therock said:

IMO 

everyone should have an extinguisher in their car

if we do, we can help ourselves or others and the result is that we have enough extinguishers for any fire

kind of like herd immunity..

I’ll be keen to know if BMW covers that car

not good for them or us if they simply push the blame and honestly who can they push it too ?

Although i have no experience in putting out a fire, for a car fire it depends on where it is and what size extinguisher you have on hand. anything smaller than a 2kg dry chem is quite useless , IMHO.  to be really effective you need around 5kg worth. unless you really catch the fire very early on.

one also needs to have the correct expectations. once you use a dry chem on a car fire, the car is will probably never be the same again even if the fire was put out.  the dry chem is rather corrosive and damaging.  so the only reason why you want to put a fire out is more as a civic duty and not really to save the car.

(edited)

Save car or save life

maybe athena chu is sitting in the car?

or maybe I save one raybe 👌 

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement