Yet Another Car Catches Fire...

Typhoonz

1 hour ago, Heartlander said:

Frankly imho pls do not think putting a fire extinguisher in your car you will be able to do much in those situations.

Imagine you unlucky started to notice burning smell and see smoke seeping out of bonnet in front while driving. Would you quickly stop the car, quickly go trunk to take the fire extinguisher and then pop open the bonnet to try to put out the fire? Most likely you would have run far away from your car thinking life is important as scare the car will combust spontaneously.. Or if smoke seeping into cabin while you in car, I doubt you will put on detective hat to check where emitting the smoke and try to put it out. Most likely you would have run far far away thanking your dear God for pointing you to the smoke instead of chibabom straight away.  

I would think the fire extinguisher is good only when your car is not the one on fire, but using it to put out fire in another car. Few would have the courage to try to pop open the bonnet period worrying to get burnt by any fire inside the engine bay.

Frankly am I thinking wrongly?

One should never try to pop the bonnet to fight a fire in the engine bay. This will cause a sudden rush of fresh oxygen into the engine bay and fuel the fire even more.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

One should never try to pop the bonnet to fight a fire in the engine bay. This will cause a sudden rush of fresh oxygen into the engine bay and fuel the fire even more.

Then what can we do putting a fire extinguisher in the car? No use spraying in cabin since fire not there most if not all of the tine. Might as well just run far far away thats all.

44 minutes ago, therock said:

IMO 

everyone should have an extinguisher in their car

if we do, we can help ourselves or others and the result is that we have enough extinguishers for any fire

kind of like herd immunity..

I’ll be keen to know if BMW covers that car

not good for them or us if they simply push the blame and honestly who can they push it too ?

Just recently put one in the boot. But I think everyone(myself included) should temper their expectations. A fire extinguisher is only so small, there is only so much it can do.

and most impt is to be safe. lifes are priority. car can be replaced(that's what insurance is for), lifes cannot.

18 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Then what can we do putting a fire extinguisher in the car? No use spraying in cabin since fire not there most if not all of the tine. Might as well just run far far away thats all.

What I learnt is to just pop it open a bit (the unlock stage before you open it fully) and spray the extinguisher via that opening, through the front grille or from under the car.

3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/driver-33-thankful-be-alive-after-his-bmw-bursts-flames-bke?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1615164583

If he had portable fire extinguisher in the car.. perhaps.. his car could be saved.. and will not be a total loss..

dunno how many articles containing info that a mere fire extinguisher can't put out a car that catches fire have already been shared, and here we have another ignorant who post things in laosai manner endlessly

• Praise 1

Supercharged
28 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

What I learnt is to just pop it open a bit (the unlock stage before you open it fully) and spray the extinguisher via that opening, through the front grille or from under the car.

Wouldn't this way used up the 2kg can before you hit the spot?

48 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Break door window and save others road users, I mean people. 

As for vehicle let it burn. Safety first.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Many years ago, when i was at a traffic light on a hot Sunday afternoon, fellow motorists horned and pointed out to me that smoke was coming out from the front grille of my car. 

I got out to check, opened the bonnet, and saw a small fire near the front of the engine compartment. By then, all the cars had departed from the lights, and I did not have an extinguisher nor water in the car. I flagged down passing motorists, and one of them handed me his flask of water, and I managed to douse the fire. After that I continued driving the car for the rest of the day (I was performing Ah-Yee Chia duties with a bunch of gals in my car).

It was later found that the alternator cable somehow caught fire, and I got it replaced and insulated. End of story.

The car - a Lancia Thema Turbo ie 16v.

Nice car! I had the non Turbo version, which never caught fire....

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 3

have seen cars poke charger into ciggy slot.

and then from that charger poke multiple devices like tablet, handphones etc ... :o

:sick:

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Frankly imho pls do not think putting a fire extinguisher in your car you will be able to do much in those situations.

Imagine you unlucky started to notice burning smell and see smoke seeping out of bonnet in front while driving. Would you quickly stop the car, quickly go trunk to take the fire extinguisher and then pop open the bonnet to try to put out the fire? Most likely you would have run far away from your car thinking life is important as scare the car will combust spontaneously.. Or if smoke seeping into cabin while you in car, I doubt you will put on detective hat to check where emitting the smoke and try to put it out. Most likely you would have run far far away thanking your dear God for pointing you to the smoke instead of chibabom straight away.  

I would think the fire extinguisher is good only when your car is not the one on fire, but using it to put out fire in another car. Few would have the courage to try to pop open the bonnet period worrying to get burnt by any fire inside the engine bay.

Frankly am I thinking wrongly?

If family is in car and cannot come out 

I will risk everything to open bonnet and kill fire with extinhusher 

• Praise 6

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Beehive3783 said:

air can easily enter from the bottom of the car. why need the bonnet to be open. the only issue opening when the flames are larger is that you might potentially burnt yourself.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

I think many of us in the end will just take HP and call 995. And pray hard they come fast. 🤣

• Haha! 5

18 minutes ago, Blueray said:

have seen cars poke charger into ciggy slot.

and then from that charger poke multiple devices like tablet, handphones etc ... :o

:sick:

IMHO.
Important to know the maximum wattage the socket can handle.  IIRC, on mine is 120W. 
This is also important for those who intend to use a tyre inflator that uses this socket. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Unfazed said:

dunno how many articles containing info that a mere fire extinguisher can't put out a car that catches fire have already been shared, and here we have another ignorant who post things in laosai manner endlessly

I have an extinguisher, a blanket and a first aid kit, plus a glass breaker.

I may not be able to save my car or another one, but I may be able to save a life, maybe stop a small fire from getting worse. One life saved, one fire prevented is all good. If I don't try, if I stand by the side, maybe one day it might be my car, or even me on fire. I hope one of the bros here will help save me..

• Praise 8

23 minutes ago, therock said:

I have an extinguisher, a blanket and a first aid kit, plus a glass breaker.

I may not be able to save my car or another one, but I may be able to save a life, maybe stop a small fire from getting worse. One life saved, one fire prevented is all good. If I don't try, if I stand by the side, maybe one day it might be my car, or even me on fire. I hope one of the bros here will help save me..

Yes bro. I fully agree with u on this. It is not abt the car but about lives. Haha...my lines are abt some ppl. I m with u on saving lives. Some, just some, just loves to keep blabbering yeah. 

42 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

I think many of us in the end will just take HP and call 995. And pray hard they come fast. 🤣

If other people car on fire 

I pass him fire extinguisher

Spoiler

Then stand far away and hip siong :grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 7