Yet Another Car Catches Fire...

Typhoonz

19 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Up until recently I thought this was possible but it turns out to be somewhat an urban legend as the glass is pretty strong to that kind of impact; the metal leg isn't sharp enough.

A fire extinguisher (the proper kind) is however weighty enough to probably smash through the glass though.

Can. Aim it at a corner and hit as hard as you can. Would take a few strikes. Must know the right way and not anyhow do lah.

• Praise 3

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Up until recently I thought this was possible but it turns out to be somewhat an urban legend as the glass is pretty strong to that kind of impact; the metal leg isn't sharp enough.

A fire extinguisher (the proper kind) is however weighty enough to probably smash through the glass though.

少林铁头功

Joking aside, you see those small hammer on the public buses? Those look even weaker than headrest legs.

Edited by Ake109

Supercharged
5 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

少林铁头功

Joking aside, you see those small hammer on the public buses? Those look even weaker than headrest legs.

but they sharper

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

One should never try to pop the bonnet to fight a fire in the engine bay. This will cause a sudden rush of fresh oxygen into the engine bay and fuel the fire even more.

Yes and No. If it is a incepient fire, it would be quite safe to open the bonnet and extinguish it with a portable fire extinguisher. If can already see fire coming out from the gap, grill, etc. It is better to move away from the vehicle. 

5 hours ago, Unfazed said:

dunno how many articles containing info that a mere fire extinguisher can't put out a car that catches fire have already been shared, and here we have another ignorant who post things in laosai manner endlessly

Yes and No again. Similar to what I mention above, small / incepient fire can fight, can see big flame type you better run. 

4 hours ago, Blueray said:

have seen cars poke charger into ciggy slot.

and then from that charger poke multiple devices like tablet, handphones etc ... :o

:sick:

You hit the nail on the head, overloading can cause the charger adapter to get overheated and start a fire too. I came across a case (my ex-colleague) which the adapter melted and he asked me why?! My short answer is: Don't assume that these low tech ciga socket have built in over current cut off feature. 

4 hours ago, therock said:

I have an extinguisher, a blanket and a first aid kit, plus a glass breaker.

I may not be able to save my car or another one, but I may be able to save a life, maybe stop a small fire from getting worse. One life saved, one fire prevented is all good. If I don't try, if I stand by the side, maybe one day it might be my car, or even me on fire. I hope one of the bros here will help save me..

Well, your thought process is right about saving life. But that is provided you know how to use the extinguisher in the correct manner. 

I always remind the emergency response team members in my company not to attempt to fight a fire if they are not 100% sure what to do, or when they do not have the right resources (e.g. Fire fighting equipment, manpower, PPE, etc.).

3 hours ago, Mustank said:

If other people car on fire 

I pass him fire extinguisher

Reveal hidden contents

Then stand far away and hip siong :grin:

And post on FB, MCF right? :D

3 hours ago, Philipkee said:

One question.  Let's say it's an EV.  Wouldn't a pail of water make things worse?

Fighting EV fire is a totally different ball game. It is almost impossible to put out a battery fire using extinguisher or water, and not to mention the risk of inhaling toxic fume and also explosion. Best to leave it to the SCDF. 

3 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Actually can just remove the headrest and use it to smash the window lah. Why you all don't know this meh? Isn't it better to get your family out of harm's way first?

You must know where and how to break the glass. It is not as simple as you think. The tempered glass (window) is 10 time tougher than normal glass and one have to hit at the weakest spot (at the corner of the glass).

These articles for your bed time reading... 

https://factcheck.aap.com.au/social-media-claims/car-headrests-not-designed-as-glass-breakers

https://carseatblog.com/38120/mythbusters-vehicle-headrests-are-meant-to-break-vehicle-windows/#:~:text=MYTH%3A A vehicle headrest is,easily broken from the inside.

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

少林铁头功

Its not as simple as it looks - it needs to be pointed enough or heavy enough or a mix of both. 

In this next example, a YouTuber tests the story that a shard of ceramic from a spark plug can easily shatter a car window. He even taps it with a hammer which is probably a hundred times the weight of the spark plug fragment itself. 

• Praise 3

28 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

少林铁头功

哪个头 :grin:

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Philipkee said:

One question.  Let's say it's an EV.  Wouldn't a pail of water make things worse?

Assuming we are all in footwear, there is very low risk of electrocution. 

The water will help cool down anything thats too hot.
But yes, if there is a leak, don't touch the chassis unless you have gloves. 

These days, I think you want a different set of sparks to fly 😉 

• Haha! 1

40 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

You hit the nail on the head, overloading can cause the charger adapter to get overheated and start a fire too. I came across a case (my ex-colleague) which the adapter melted and he asked me why?! My short answer is: Don't assume that these low tech ciga socket have built in over current cut off feature. 

we usually see fires start from either the cabin or the engine bay.

if the fire is starting from the cabin, my simple mind says there is a high likelihood that source of the fire is some electrical add on device(s).

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Actually can just remove the headrest and use it to smash the window lah. Why you all don't know this meh? Isn't it better to get your family out of harm's way first?

i watched a clip before.

if can take out the headrest, then there's no need to use it to smash the window glass with strength. It was a video of what happens if/when one gets trapped in the car under water, when the pressure prevents opening of the door and the window cannot be unwound. 

Take the metal end of the headrest, push it into the (very) little gap between the window glass and the door at an angle, then just treat the metal end as a sort of lever, and ply it against the glass. The glass broke, and there is then a way out of the car at least...

Not sure if it will actually works.

If anyone got disused car, maybe can try 😄

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Eh in such situation, maybe it would be better to invest in the hammer to break the windshield or windows.

suggest getting one of this compact glass breaker. Pasted one at my ignition key hole cover (car with start/stop button) can access it any time

https://shopee.sg/Baseus-Mini-Car-Window-Glass-Breaker-Seat-Belt-Cutter-Safety-Hammer-Cutting-Knife-Interior-Accessories-i.131198971.2855292896

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

I keep a glass breaker in the glove compartment. Hopefully never have to use it. Or if using, will be on someone else's car! 

And when u go to JB and meet robbers, its helpful as a potential weapon to defend yourself.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2