Govt to cut ministerial salaries and fees

Alpha78

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Some good news finally?

Govt to cut ministerial salaries and fees

SINGAPORE: SINGAPORE may be cutting ministerial salaries as an inflation-taming measure. In addition, government fees will also be cut.

A government spokesperson disclosed this yesterday in response to media queries on what steps the Government could take to alleviate the impact of rising prices.

He said: 'Government fees, although their going up is justified, will be cut indefinitely.

"Where it is within our control, we will cut whatever needs to be cut. Our ministers are already the best paid in the world, they can live with a few hundred thousand less a year."

Consumer price inflation in Singapore hit 6.5 per cent last month from a year ago. In particular, food prices have gone up sharply.

In addition, Woodleigh MRT station will be opened finally, and all trains will run with one-minute intervals during peak hours, and three-minute intervals during off-peak hours. Public transport will no longer be treated as a primarily profit-driven commercial enterprise but a real public service. The rail operators will also not be allowed to raise their fees for three years or pass any costs from fines to their customers.

This was revealed in the Land Transport Masterplan by the Land Transport Authority.

"As part of our people-centred land transport system, we want to end the overcrowding and long waits. No more overcrowded trains and buses, and unnecessary feeder buses!" an LTA spokesperson said.

ERP rates will be cut next month, by as much as 50%. This is in response to motorist feedback on roads where the ERP has not eased congestion in any way. Some gantries may even be dismantled.

Bicycles, previously ignored as a means of transport, will be given dedicated bike lanes where possible, and sharrows where it is not practical to have a bike lane.

The LTA has acknowledged that cycling is more than a leisure or recreational activity but is an environmentally sound mode of transport, and a healthy one too.

"We plan to make it safe for cyclists to ride again, instead of making piecemeal measures towards bicycle and pedestrian safety. We will no longer be using Singapore's land constraints or hot weather as an excuse to ignore this growing group of road users. One more cyclist may mean one less car on the road, you know?" said a spokesperson.

The measures were also introduced to reduce the dangerous practice of pedestrian sidewalk cycling, the spokesman told us.

Lift and estate upgrading will be carried out for all estates, regardless of whether they belong to the ruling party or the opposition. The government has accelerated this program in order to stimulate the economy and because there is a real need for lifts, especially for the elderly.

"An elderly person in an Opposition estate is still an elderly person," said a government spokesperson.

Oh, and Happy April Fools' Day.

The question is do we really want all these requests or are we just upset about something?

Turbocharged
(edited)

eh brudder..read the last last line..kena pwned!!!

Oh, and Happy April Fools' Day.

Edited by Shull

Neutral Newbie

Con-DUA-firm, chopped and stamped to enforce your statement....Lao-Goh already hinted on the news a few days ago that they need to match the salary of our so-called ministers to the market again...I rmb the last time this statement was made, all the Men-In-White have pay rise... [thumbsdown]

From 2nd paragraph onwards... I know what is coming. [laugh]

Nice one though...

Wonder if the gahment reads it.

(edited)

MR BROWN!!!! YOU'RE MY HERO....I LOVE YOU!!....SO CHARMING...SO ''POWDERFUL'' ''ENGLALISH''....you speak for us...

From your fellow sillyporean aka the 33+% of the population

Edited by Application9999

When I saw the title, I thought was some other countries.. tongue.gif

then saw the mrbrown link.. i know something was amiss..

Neutral Newbie

even if they cut, they are back to their usual pay. no change wat [:|], it might actually a 5% increment for them perhaps after the cut.. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

I think must tell my children next time go become minister liao.. everything rise, their pay rise, no need to do much, just have weekend walkabout and invite photographers take pictures washing market, planting trees, go mrt stations distribute photo leaflets for someone's inability, etc.