Got promoted in job level; but "demoted" in annual pay. Quit or stay??

Adam251

Got promoted in job level; but "demoted" in annual pay. Quit or stay??  

64 members have voted

1. 1.

• Should have quit long ago !!!
    • Stay until project complete then quit !!!
    • Do not quit !!!

Neutral Newbie

OK here's the story ...

1) Last year guy got promoted, now works normal office hours, can't claim OT; no more allowances. Annual pay $40K-50K.

2) BEFORE promotion, same guy work shift, can claim allowances + OT; annual pay $60K-$70K.

Stress after promotion doubled as more responsibility and expectation.

Now this guy, already thinking of qutting and move to another job. But new job is purely commission based but income potential is double or more. Should he quit or stay??

↡ Advertisement

Jump ship,in your statement,income potential is double or more.From this statement,i would say if you work double hard,you'll get the pay rite?So if you can work hard,why stay in somewhere where your income is cap at certain limit?Unless the guy not prepared to scarifices some personal time for this money.If not prepare,i would not recommend him to jump,he might not be able to take the stress and insufficient sleeping hrs.

The guy you used as an example MUST BE A MORON or an AXX hole himself.

RULE No.1 : Ppl work for more $$$ with the same( or better still less amount of time needed to be ) spend on the job.

You quote me an example where someone who has been working and years later ended up with less PAY!!!

And you have to put up a poll to ask for opinions?

Are you THAT GUY? [sly][laugh][laugh][laugh]

"new job is purely commission based" - so is it insurance or housing agent?

that guy can work part time in the new job and full time in present job until he's comfortable with new job's earnings then quit present job. that's what many of them do anyway.

My take is hold on.

Wait till somebody offers previous pay $60-$70K consistently, not potentially. Further, putting more experience time with the new and higher position increases bargaining power.

But then again, I have seen perfectly sane people quiting their high paying stable job for insurance, real estate, car sales, even MLM. And are doing well beyond what they can imagine.

Sometimes in life, you take some risks. While young and have no burdens and baggages, it's worth a try. But once you have a wife and kids, better not try such a stunt.

new job offer may not be suitable for you, since probably you have never done sales/commission based jobs before, judging that you previously work shifts. (But I may be wrong)

Continue find another job.

Or you can be just like me, buay song just throw letter, eat air for 5 months while looking for new job.

But not everyone can pull such a stunt. So calculate your odds.

OK here's the story ...

1) Last year guy got promoted, now works normal office hours, can't claim OT; no more allowances. Annual pay $40K-50K.

2) BEFORE promotion, same guy work shift, can claim allowances + OT; annual pay $60K-$70K.

Now this guy, already thinking of qutting and move to another job. But new job is purely commission based but income potential is double or more. Should he quit or stay??

wat does the new position hold for u? if move fr sales to managerial, one cud expect same effect but bear in mind, pay r usually not cast in stone. it's up to u to negotiate. if u think u getting shorter end of stick, then make ur decision.

remember, opportunity does not come often. good opportunity lagi less.

so dun expect pple hold chances for u forever

OK here's the story ...

New job sounds like Financial Planning .... is it?

to be honest, dun undestand y ur company so good, by right, anyone with pay more than 1.6K is not covered by Employement Act. Thus he work 24/7 without OT also cannot complain. In your example, i believe his basic is confirm more than this fugure...

As for the promotion, is could be a good thing as a stepping stone. Once promoted, stay for 1 yr, gain experience and hop to another job that offer better pay.. thats how i look at it. however, if the person is more than 40yrs old liao, then forget it, dun try his luck....

regardless of how low he earn, 1 cannot work more then 12HR per shift. if the guy go MOM and complain the company will get sue. [laugh]

to be honest, the 1.6K figure should be adjusted to follow inflation rates. It is laughable to keep it at this obselete rate. Even my office kopi auntie earns more than that. [hur]

but whats the point of complaining when the willingness to earn more moola? not wise to kill the golden goose when one doesn't get compensation while 'jobless'.

If I'm not wrong, usually when we complain to garmen to take action, the garmen fines the offender (be it individual or company), the fine goes to garmen's coffers, and zilch for us.

So whats the point of complaining ya?

Hi,

I also have the same "problem". Promoted to management role but take home pay lesser than what i got as an engineer + OT. [hur]

like what others guys has said take it as an experience and build more contacts with customers top management which i normally do not have as a engineer.

after 1 - 2yrs, look for better pay and jump ship. [sly]

But sometime quite difficult to get over it as seeing my engineers earning more than me , less stress and changing to bigger car. [blush]

Sometime is easy to say than done..... [bigcry]

Turbocharged

agree. got to see the prospect of the new assignment, what can be learnt there and so on.

of course, everyone ultimately work for moola.

eventually you got to assess the situation and make the right decision.

eg.

one of my associates was an engineer, drawing basic+ot+transport.

he got promoted as a team leader, drawing a bit higher basic+transport only.

because he has claimed lots of ot allowance previously, even with the pay adjustment, net off, his pay wasn't good.

but he stayed on for a year cos his new role gave him new insights and opportunities into management.

now, he is with another company.. as a manager, much higher basic+much higher transport

can say he used the time to learn/gain experience in his new role and it entitled him to use it as a springboard and got a higher pay than he previously had

↡ Advertisement