Import of seafood/prawns/lobster for Sg distribution (Question)

Albeniz

Turbocharged

Dear all MCFers,

I know there are quite a number of businessmen here and I have some questions on importing seafood from Indonesia for distribution in Singapore. I really need to seek your kind enlightenment on the procedures.

I have an Indonesian relative who would like to work with me to transport a bulk of fresh lobster/prawns into Singapore for distribution to our local restaurants.

He is an established businessman in Indonesia and can settle all the stuffs/paper work over at the Indonesian custom. If I were to act as his Singapore counter-part for distribution here, what are the issues I need to take note of e.g. tax, paper-work, AVA clearance (how to)? I am completely new to this area. Can someone please shed some light?

Apollo, Porker and others, are you here? Probably need your advice as you have been my encyclopedia all these while!

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

The toilet kar-chuack (cockroach) just replied above deh.

AVA is the place to go to for clearance.

Check www.customs.gov.sg for matters related to import duties (if any) and GeeA$$Tee.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I may buy one or two lobsters from you for my fish tank. Marine or freshwater har? [:p]

Turbocharged

Thanks Porker and Apollo for the pointers.

I went to the websites and chatted with the AVA guys.

For such import/export adctivities, I need to register a business and apply for a licence first.

I tried to call up the ACRA people but the phone was always engagaed.

My question is: Can I use my HDB flat or condominium to register as an office for such import activities? The AVA guy said my question was out of their scope.

if they say it is out of their scope then

how come always can catch people if office is registered in HBD or condo and not for their use as stipulated by them

Turbocharged

Thanks ChickenFarm for your contribution.

Do you think my mode of business will work? I am a complete newbie trying to take my first baby step into this area.

answer is nope. u need a proper place to conduct biz.

AVA is more concern abt chemical toxin in food as well disease fr live fishes.

You will need a location their officers can conduct random check.

Most fisheries look for chirp and good location. if you want, goto seletar farmway 3 areas. plenty of those sunset fish farmers there, all waiting to die. they hv all the tanks, equipment, but no biz.

Bro...if the operating cost is low and u have lobang for customers, it may be a viable business after all. Take note that yours is perishable goods and there are many pioneers in this business liao so in order to beat them, you must undercut them.

If your office is at home, where is your point of entry? Jurong / Senoko Fisheries Port? Changi or Woodlands Checkpoint? Do you have a cold room for storage of your consignments?

to take over the farms over there, wait till they really almost die then buy over... can cheap cheap buy over..

The farms there are on 3 yr lease basis and landlord is AVA Farm Management Section. If really desperate to look for a place, can sublease from them but keep it hush hush cos AVA won't allow [nod]