Workshop says : 3yr old Brake Fluid

Str2

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

I went to a workshop wanting to replace my worn-out front brake pads and at same time asked for renew all new brake fluid since already 3 yrs old, this is what the technician said "Change the brake pads enough but actually brake fluid not need to change.Can last 5-6 yrs.Besides yr Honda car (mine is a Stream) brake system always have problems after renew, caused brakes to jam".....How true is this?

I didn't believed him (even the workshop wasn't busy so should be OK to change brake fluid), so can someone kindly recommend a good workshop near Queenstown area.

Cheers!/ Str2

↡ Advertisement

I change my brake pads without changing my brake fluid....

My braking not efficient and effective. Almost kiss someone's butt....

Change brake fluid at least once a year. Someone in mcf told me this.

After I change my brake fluid, my braking improves a lot more....

Turbocharged

de last servicing i went de mechanic also said no need to change.he said brake fluid can tahan one.not only brake fluid, even manual gear oil, coolant, also he said no need change.so...i also dunno to change or not. [dizzy]

ur wksp is prob lazy to do it...

need to bleed out the old fluid properly, and they prob can't charge enough that will make u happy anyway.

brake fluid will deteriorate. change it.

Neutral Newbie

As far as I know, brake fluid needs to be replace (also mentioned in every car manual).

The property of brake fluid is that it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and it effectiveness will be affected....I guess to the technician is yes it can still work, but effectiveness is affected. Engine oil 30,000km don't change also can, but something else will suffer....

Yr mech may have to retire or go back to school. He is even not familiar with the very basic of brake fluid and the brake system maitenance

Brake fluid - DOT3, DOT4, Super DOT4, & DOT5.1 are hygroscopic - that means they are able to abosorb moisture from the atmosphere even via hoses.Only Mineral oil and Silicone based fluids are not hygroscopic.

Mos tof the brake fluid operating under city driving ,hot and humid enviroment will be saturated with mositure some as short as six months.

PS photo show a brake fluid mositure tester

post-8-1207538309_thumb.jpg

post-8-1207538309_thumb.jpg

Turbocharged

yeah...i agree on dat.most probably the mech too lazy or cant do proper bleeding.next servicing i tink better change.aiyah...must find another workshop liao...

Chance yr mech don't have the right brake bleeding tool. If he used the 1960's leg power operation method, there is high possibilities of master brake cylinder seal damaged by rust and over pumping. The other problem is he may not be able to get all the old brake fluid out because of the ABS system. The end result is half complete job with more air bubbles in the system.

(edited)

If it takes 5-6 years for brake fluid change interval then those manufacturers selling lubricants ones would have closed shop long long time back [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Dump this workshop i would say ... [nod][nod][nod]

Edited by Mzrmazda3

Neutral Newbie

Yeap, this workshop is out of my radar.

I wonder how many drivers out there are misguided by such wshops.

Any good and proper wshops?

I change my brake fluid every 20K or 1yr, like what Yeo has pointed out, brake fluid is hygroscopic and moisture in the brake line is very bad ....

As a reference for you, my last brake fluid change cost $30 with DOT4 brake fluid and vacuum bleeding.

I will opt the brake service package every 40K which cost $40. On top of flushing the brake fluid, the workshop will also adjust the handbrake cable and clean the rear drums, I usually tell them not to touch the front brake pads, sanding the pads with sandpaper is a no-no.

Turbocharged

bro...where is dis shop dat u went to?...$30 seems ok.my next servicing i wanna change brake fluid, engine oil...do i need to change gear oil?mine's a manual n my next servicing is 55k mileage.other den dat i dunno wat else to change.dat's y now looking for cheap n reliable workshop.

Neutral Newbie

should change the brake hoses after 3 years. stainless steel ones last longer and give firmer braking also. cost just a bit more over normal ones. best to change fluid together with the hose.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Garlic,

Enligten me...is vacuum bleeding the correct way to go for modern ABS System?

Yr $40 is service charge only or include the new brake fluid?

Workshop name is ?

Thks/Str2

(edited)

Yes, the mechanic should not be pumping your brake pedal furiously.

I did mine brake servicing at RiverView Auto, $40 inclusive of changing and bleeding brake fluid, tightening handbrake cable and cleaning rear drums

It will be cheaper if you opt for just changing and bleeding brake fluid.

Edited by Garlic

(edited)

Some ABSs are very sensitive to high pressure and some you need to activate the on-board computer ( maily US make cars and European top models) which in turns control the ABS accumulator.

If yr mech use a pressure bleeder, he should try not to apply too much air pressure usually not more than 10psi.

Vacuum bleeding is idea but the mech must keep any eye on the fluid reserviour to make sure the brake fluid level don't go far below the marking - once it goes too far below air will get into the system.

post-8-1207565950_thumb.jpg

post-8-1207565950_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yeobh
↡ Advertisement