Worth buying 98' BMW 520?

Maxxtotal

Is it worth buying a 98' 520 BMW for around 60k that has just renewed 10 yr COE?

What is the maintainance for this car? mileage arn 112k... does this car use timing chain?

What common problem does this car has?

↡ Advertisement

to tell u the truth

what davidtch warned is very accurate

my friend who drove it complained about overheating engine etc

its very common.

i rather u get the newer 5 series, albeit fewer driving years

get the 2002 facelifted model .. still E39 but with the M54 2.2L engine ... better torque, dont drink so much petrol and i jus love the angel eyes

I agree, the facelifted model is a much safer bet..better engine, more standard list of options and should have most of the earlier kinks settled. Still love the look of the E39...a real classy car.

Really interesting that this most popular 5 series was conceived by a Japanese designer!

Neutral Newbie

[shakehead][shakehead][shakehead] not worth buying,unless u know how the car was being serviced in the past,potential gear box problem, which is a norm among conti car if owner does not service their car regularly,recon gear box will set u aside 10k-13k for beemer which gives u a warranty of abt a month,secondly even if u were to get the car,u will have to think how long u intend to drive this car,short term drive,liao ka siao, unless fully paid up,no loan etc...interest rate for this car will be 3%-3.8% which i think is kinda high.. [shakehead][shakehead] why create future headache for yourself [;)]

I think it is on d very hi side. U should look out 4 2002/2003 model. It is selling around 65k. If i m don't rem wrongly, tis engine is 2L N52B20.

These r d common problem: http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option...id=27&Itemid=55.

1 thing 2 take note that as it is a heavy ka. City drive FC sucks!!

its not N52...its the M52... [thumbsup] with Single Vanos...that batch cannot buy la...2 old liao...the best ones come with the M54 engines

overheat cos the cooling system is old liao ma...moain problems come from the water pump,thermostat and radiator...best is 2 change all one shot so no problems...u wanna buy an old car this will happen unless u know for sure that its been replaced before...

I think it is on d very hi side. U should look out 4 2002/2003 model. It is selling around 65k. If i m don't rem wrongly, tis engine is 2L N52B20.

These r d common problem: http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option...id=27&Itemid=55.

1 thing 2 take note that as it is a heavy ka. City drive FC sucks!!

wow, that is a useful,honest and informative site! Thanks

should be okay...I love that batch [thumbsup] but dont expect all to be in tip top condition cos several of them their seat adjusting mechanism will have problems like jamming or onlt one side of the seat rises...oil leaks will be quite common around the valve cover area and the oil filter housing...due to its age(unless recently replaced of course) cooling system also have to take care (find out the mileage) dont ask me why...the coolant expansion tank and thermostat are designed to fail every 60,000KM [rolleyes] bottom line is check that it has a good service history before buying one as a poorly maintained BMW really can Bring more worries than giving you driving pleasure

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Buy at own risk unless you know the car history. Couple of years back, I loved those COE Merc, BMW. But after spending a bomb servicing these COE cars. I have since never gone back looking at COE renewed Conti make. $60K can get many good decent car in the market. Eg, a 3.5 yrs+ old Volvo S40 can be gotten <$62K, similar for V40 an S60 etc.

Edited by Sportster