Australia: Holiday at the Gold Coast

Kieran1975

Hi, need some advise on the following as i'll be going for a holiday with my family in Nov ( 5 adults and four kids - 3,7,9 & 11yrs old).

1) Accomodation - any good service apartment to recommend? will be staying there for 4-5 nights.

2) Car Rental - How much per day? Do they provide GPS? Do i need to have/rent car seat for the kids?

3) GPS - Where can i download "free" gold coast map? i'm using garmin receiver & map on SE600M.

4) Any good place to shop?

OR is it better and cheaper to join those "Free & Easy" tour package?

THanks.....

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1) Hotel to stay : Watermark...

4) Must go to Pacific Fair

Is your planned dates clashing with any events during that time? I had my honeymoon in Sydney followed by Gold Coast in late oct till early nov 2002. By the time I was there in GC, the roads were in a mess to prepare for the Australian V8 races. So if you are planning to drive, it might be quite a tiring thing to drive through there...

Neutral Newbie

1) Watermark Hotel or Jupiters Conrad... (depending on your budget)

2) Car Rental - MPV around 100Aud and Normal Sedan (Camry) 80Aud. Rent from Budget, cheaper

3) No need GPS if you are a good map reader

4) Pacific fair, Harbour town for warehouse sale (Polo ralph, addidas, nike) That one must go!!!

5) Go yourself is cheaper, buy your own tickets book your hotel and transport online... I did it and it's cheaper than what the tour agency quoted me by at least 500bucks per person!!!

Cheers :)

Turbocharged

bro..tumpang you thread awhile ok?

I am also planning a holiday to aus with my gf..going to fly in and out from Australia from Melbourne..

Melbourne accomodation is no prob..but i want to do a road trip to maybe sydney or even further up to Gold Coast..

any pointers from those who've driven road trip in Aus?

Supersonic

I lived in Aust for 3.5 years and did many road trips. If you are planning on driving from Melbourne to Sydney or beyond, my recommendation is to take the coastal highway and not the Hume highway - more to see and you can consider stopping at Lakes Entrance (80 miles of beach) on the way. Plus other little towns along the coast south of Canberra such as Eden, Bega etc.

The inland highway very boring, nothing to see or do.

Make sure you rent a big car, preferably a 3 litre ford or holden, you'll enjoy the power.

If you are planning your holiday for Sep, make a stopover in Canberra for Floriade - an annual festival that sees hundreds of thousands of flowers planted in the city park by the lake.

Turbocharged

my tentative trip is in mid-end july..a 2 weeks period..

approx how much it cost to rent a car >3L..

but Aust roads are very strict on speed limits right?

Supersonic

Wah! Good time to go - start of winter, nice and cold.

Rental for 3 litre car at least A$100 but if you rent for 2 whole weeks, I think the rate is cheaper. Best to check the sites. You can even arrange to fly in to Melbourne and fly out another city - the car rental companies there allow you to pick up a car and drop off in different city - just pay more.

Can consider going to Snowy Mountains/Mt Koscuisko (sp?), about 2 hours south west of Canberra. Nice to go up and play in the snow, tobogganing etc.

Yah, quite strict on speed plus lots of breathalyser tests on the highways too, near small towns etc.

Wahhhhh...u going melbourne har ????? I wish i can go. [:/][:/][:/]

Melbourne good place to visit. If i can recall correctly, my 2 weeks self-drive there includes Melbourne -> Geelong --> taking ferry(including car) from Sorento to Queenscliff then into Great Ocean Road --> Port Campbell --> Halls Gap ---> Ballarat --> Melbourne. [bounce2][bounce2]

Rented the huge 3.8l Ford Terrority........Damn shiok to drive. [thumbsup]

Just enjoy the drive and spend at least 1-2 days at each town and roam around. U will like it very much. [nod][nod]

I still got the maps with me. Can lend to you if u want.

Try using this to plan your route.

http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayobject...4680C476A9047C/

I stayed here in melbourne. [thumbsup]

http://www.shortstayapartments.com.au/

Edited by Hiphiphoray

Turbocharged

thanks bro..

that's really informative..if my trip confirm, then one day i find you to get the map..

btw, road trip, need any planning in advance?

Depends on you lor. Some like to book and plan thier drive over there. But for me, i research into travelling route and plan my trip. The daily places of visits and travell distance is oredi fixed by me. Of course i'll leave a few hours for lost time and free-roaming in btw lar.

All the hotel rooms was pre-booked all the way too. Didnt have a GPS then. But maps will do nicely cos thier roads are easy to navigate with lots of road signs. (Much much easlier than malaysian roads [laugh] )

Just PM me when u need the maps. [nod]

For shopping, MUST go to HarbourTown. It's a super big shopping place that is built like a town. Most of the shops there are factory outlets of big brands. Nike, Adidas, Levis, Polo, esprit, and more. Although they are factory outlets, they are nicely renovated and some even sell the latest models at factory outlet prices! Somemore it free parking whole day! [thumbsup]

But take note, they close at around 5pm, so go early.

http://www.harbourtown.com.au/goldcoast/index.htm

1) You should book early for service apartments as they get filled up very quickly. I got mine for about s$900 for 10 days

2) Rental is quite cheap about S$50 per day. Just a reminder, do not drive like a Singaporean there, you're on holiday, take things easy. Leave the Kiasuism at home.

3) No need GPS. Get a good map at the airport plus a large dose of sensibility, you won't get lost. Within 2 days, Brisbane and Gold Coast is in your head already, Don't be afraid to adventure off the beaten path. Rental cars may have street directory supplied.

4) Everywhere, cos the good natured Ozzies make shopping so much more pleasant than here in this stupid island.

There is no free and easy 'package'. Free and easy means you're on youre own. Thats where the fun begins. Also leave you heart at home cos you may easily fall in love with Australia. Have fun [thumbsup]

i did the eastern states many moon ago, this was how it goes:

* Fly to Melbourne - stay 3 nights (Drive to Mt Buller, Philip island)

* Cruise Down to Tasmania island - 2 nights (drive)

* Back to Melbourne - 1 night

* Coach to Sydney (to tire to drive) - stay 3 nights in Sydney (drive to Canberra, Snowy mountain), drive within Sydney

* Drive to Gold Coast (damn shiok!) - stay 4 nights (drive within, also to Bribane for dinner & shopping)

* Back to Brisbane Airport - Home

Many moon ago, we stay in caravan in most of the place visited (they are not around now), eat maggie mee, car rental $45/day (Holden Falcon), fly with student fare. So all in cheap cheap only.

Reading the map is easy.... err but not sure that will cause b/f & g/f break up after the holiday [lipsrsealed]

Neutral Newbie

Can only help u wif 2 & 4 coz I stayed in Hotel & don't use GPS.. (Drivin' in Aust is a breeze)

2. Can try Thrifty.. Cost from $30 per day without insurance coverage. (Tink dis applies to all car rental co.) or can try d car rentals @ d airport. Tink is cheaper there.

4. My favourite.

a) Pacific Fair Shopping Centre,Hooker Blvd (Aussie ver. of Suntec City) Lotsa shops there.. Myer, Kmart, Target, Coles, Esprit, Toys R US etc.. [thumbsup][thumbsup]

b) Chevron Renaissance, Surfers Paradise. - Infinity Attraction (futuristic maze walk thru wif special effects) [thumbsup]

c) Cirle on Cavill, Surfers Paradise. - Mini Ice Theme Wonderland, Billabong Stores, Strike Bowling cum Bar etc.. [thumbsup]

d) Centro Surfers Paradise - Hard Rock Cafe, Bowling, Shooting Academy using real guns, largest TimeZone family Entertainment Ctr (Opens daily till midnite) [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

e) Surfers Paradise Beachfront Night Markets ala Pasar Malam (Every Wednesday & Friday night, 5.30pm-10pm) [thumbsup]

If got more free time, can chk out:

f) Q Super Centre, corner of Bermuda & Markeri Streets near Mermaid Waters - The warehouse, Great food

g) Robina Town Centre

h) Australia Fair Shopping Centre

i) Harbour Town [thumbsup]

P.s. Don't take Tour Packages.. D.I.Y much better.. [nod][flowerface]

Hi, need some advise on the following as i'll be going for a holiday with my family in Nov ( 5 adults and four kids - 3,7,9 & 11yrs old).

1) Accomodation - any good service apartment to recommend? will be staying there for 4-5 nights.

2) Car Rental - How much per day? Do they provide GPS? Do i need to have/rent car seat for the kids?

3) GPS - Where can i download "free" gold coast map? i'm using garmin receiver & map on SE600M.

4) Any good place to shop?

OR is it better and cheaper to join those "Free & Easy" tour package?

THanks.....

Car rental is reasonable, but full insurance without excess is quite an amount. If you drive alot make sure you get unlimited mileage. In 7 days I drove 3600 km. I duuno about Gold Coast but parking in Sydney is very ex.

Watch your speed limit. I dunno about fog in Nov but I went through an afternoon fog on the way to Sydney. Luckily it was light, otherwise can move like in Genting. You might need a car with fog lamps if you travel in the nite.

↡ Advertisement