Comments on ASUS Eee PC (small notebook/ laptop)

Albeniz

Turbocharged

While looking around for a pocket PC in Harvey Norman, I came across ASUS Eee PC which looks something like a cheap/small laptop.

It costs as low as a pocket PC (price is less than $600).

Has anyone used it here?

How is your experience with this unit?

Edited by Albeniz
↡ Advertisement

That thread damn long sia.... I give up halfway when I was very tempted to buy it.

I heard Windows version is available soon.

4GB HDD solid state - start immediately but note this is more of a UMPC ultra mobile p.c. n runs on linux.

memory is less then a iphone.

Technical Details

While looking around for a pocket PC in Harvey Norman, I came across ASUS Eee PC which looks something like a cheap/small laptop.

It costs as low as a pocket PC (price is less than $600).

Has anyone used it here?

How is your experience with this unit?

take note that it is a linux PC, so it is not as "auto" as windows when it comes to discovering new devices. also, playing games might be a problem. u can spend an extra 100 bucks or so to install a "lite" version of windows. the service is available for an additional $30-40.

there's quite a few resale units available. you can buy 1 and use a 8GB SDHC card to enhance your storage space.

overall, its good value for money for purely web surfing, instant messaging and email on the go.

take note that it is not meant to replace your primary PC/NB, as the screen is too small to perform word processing etc.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am actually looking for a pocket PC to do drafting of word/excel documents on the go.

These drafts will then be piped into my desktop PC for final presentation.

Looks like the Asus Eee is a good alternative to HP pocket PC.

I have used 2 sets of Palm Zire 71 previously and they are not reliable.

add 8G SD is still small. for almost same price can get a OQO with 1GB DDR, 60GB HDD 1.8" drive, 2.0 USB, AC97 out, dual display, qwerty key, Vista. but only setback is screen smaller at 5", faster processor

Edited by Apollo

hi mate

I have one of it, as a companion device, as well as a lite travel device for short trips, or trips to more difficult locations. The reason is that most laptops are expensive (if stolen, broken, or robbed), and a smart phone is too small for qwerty-typing (speed typing). For my job which needs lots of typing, and checking email and Googling to do research, as well as using Skype to check with office or communicate, this tiny device is great. It is NOT meant as a laptop replacement, but something in between a full-fledged laptop and a phone device. It is also affordable.

It all depends on what you need it for. The device, though Linux, is very easy to use in the "Easy" mode. I still use my regular laptops at work or the office, but the eeePC is a travel device I use. One problem, you have to try the keyboard to see if you can touch type on it as the key size and spacing is more cramped, unlike a regular laptop. So if your fingers are thicker, might find it harder to type. Try it at the stores and see if you can use it for touch typing first.

bless

+