CNG Stream

Ben123

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I have just purchased a 1.5 yr old Honda Stream 1.8A and I would like to consider converting to CNG to save $$$. I have a few questions. Would appreciate answers from our motorist friends here.

1) Is my car suitable for CNG conversion?

2) How much would it cost to convert and how long does it take to convert?

3) Are there any known issues after CNG conversion e.g. loss of power, pickup etc.

4) Is there warranty for the CNG gadget?

5) Do I get the govt's rebate for CNG conversion for my 1.5 yr old car? Understand for new cars that come with CNG kit, there is a CNG rebate. I also heard that the OMV will be reduced, is this true for new cars and also existing CNG converted cars?

6) If I do not wish to keep the CNG at any point in time? Can I remove my CNG kit?

7) Do I really need to forgo the third row seat? That will defeat my intent of getting a MPV while enjoying CNG savings.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I think u better check with the authorised cng installer directly as they have the experience whether to forgo ur 3rd seat or not..I have come across a atream fitted with cng without removing the 3rd seat..

Aiya, since you going go for CNG car then should buy New stream. Got aleast 40% Gov tax rebate. [sly]

Edited by Jl1500k

Neutral Newbie
Hi,

I have just purchased a 1.5 yr old Honda Stream 1.8A and I would like to consider converting to CNG to save $$$. I have a few questions. Would appreciate answers from our motorist friends here.

1) Is my car suitable for CNG conversion?

2) How much would it cost to convert and how long does it take to convert?

3) Are there any known issues after CNG conversion e.g. loss of power, pickup etc.

4) Is there warranty for the CNG gadget?

5) Do I get the govt's rebate for CNG conversion for my 1.5 yr old car? Understand for new cars that come with CNG kit, there is a CNG rebate. I also heard that the OMV will be reduced, is this true for new cars and also existing CNG converted cars?

6) If I do not wish to keep the CNG at any point in time? Can I remove my CNG kit?

7) Do I really need to forgo the third row seat? That will defeat my intent of getting a MPV while enjoying CNG savings.

Hi Ben 123,

1. Can, so long as it's not more that 100,000km in the trip meter.

2. Depemding your your requirement. $3600 - $4000+++. Takes 2 - 3 days to do.

3. Pick up speed loss by 5% for my case. But if I accerate normally, will not feel the difference. Only when want to overake, a bit letagic. Boot space will definately be lost. Otherwise, more pros than cons. I can cruise my car at 100km/hr at 2500rpm.

4. Presume have for at least a year.

5. No.

6. Can. Take out and keep it or transfer to your new car. (According to the guy who assisted me)

7. Unfortunately, yes.

I really saved 45% of my petrol bill or nearly $250.00 and capital repayment is 16 - 18 moonths later. I used to spend $0.25/km but now is only $0.11 (avg)/km. Quite a substantial saving after monitoring for 2 months. [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

i know of one person that got a new CNG stream that he didnt need to remove the 3rd row seats

I would suggest checking with the CNG installer on that.

I am keen to get a New stream fitted with CNG..I was told by my PI that there is no need to forgo the 3rd rows of seat..it will be fitted with 2 * 28litres tank..only thing is the 3rd row position is upright and cannot lean down..

Jus to share..

Neutral Newbie

Bro,

Heard a lot of advantages converting to CNG e.g. cost savings etc. Any other downside of it? Like is it true that the tank can only be topped up when it is nearly empty due to back pressure? Any issue during top-up process like speed, ease of topping up etc. Any reliable company that you can recommend to do conversion? Thanks

Bro,

Downside :

1. About 10 to 15% loss in power on full throttle but generally during cruising, not noticeable.

2. Loss of boot space especially if yours is a sedan or even worst, a hatchback.

3. Stupid CNG sticker on windscreen or bumper tell the world you are a cheapo driver !

4. Screw up your car warranty when installed outside agent's approval.

5. Meddling with original engine control unit/wiring may risk permanent damage.

6. Higher combustion temperature may damage engine/valves.

7. Only two stupid CNG station in the west side.

8. Limited time acess to station because it is not 24 hours operation.

9. Monopoly by SemCorp as they are the only source of CNG supply in Singapore.

10. Long que at Jalan Buroh Station most of time ( can only pump one car at a time )

11. No shelter for customers at Jalan Buroh so when rain or hot sun, kena jia lak jia lak.

12. Poor service and rude attendant at Mandai station which is very inaccessible, remote and isolated.

Upside :

1. Saves $$$$$$$$

2. Saves green house gases CO2

3. 1Kg gas goes about 15 to 17 km compared to 1 litre of petrol only 10 to 11 km.

Can pump gas anytime you want...no need to wait till empty. Pumping time is faster than petrol actually because max you can get in is about 18 kg ( Mercedes NGT model ) compared to 10 to 12 kg for local installation with 60 to 70 litre tank. Would recommend either ScanTruck Engineering or Melchers !

Unfortunately, my Astra 1.6 have a pathetic boot space which cannot accommodate any size of tank and also my agent would void my warranty if installed.

"3. Stupid CNG sticker on windscreen or bumper tell the world you are a cheapo driver !"

is this mandatory for used cars which want to convert to CNG? I tot it's only applies to cars which registered with LTA as a greencar to qualify for the rebate.

I am keen to get a New stream fitted with CNG..I was told by my PI that there is no need to forgo the 3rd rows of seat..it will be fitted with 2 * 28litres tank..only thing is the 3rd row position is upright and cannot lean down..

Jus to share..

Wah,i wanna see leh,got picture? Maybe u can ask them retrofit to remove spare tyre and put the tank there. [sly]

its not jus a dumb logic... they are there for certain reason

u'll be gald to know that if the vehicle is in a bad accident, the rescue team will know wat type of prelimary cautious procedures to take n rescue the driver/passengers.

Tell that to the LTA Police when you are caught without the label ! I tot I saw a Pussy Cat ! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Yes, it is mandatory for the label because of safety reason. In the event of an accident, the Civil Defence personnel are cautious not to cut through the vehicle as they do so in a petrol or diesel vehicle because the CNG would leak out very quickly and become a potential inferno hazard.

I am aware of many cheapo but not want to be one CNG driver removing the label by themselves. The retrofitter have to fix it there for LTA inspection but after that it is removed by the owner for the very reason that I have mentioned. So, when they are caught, they would face a stiff fine. Don't know what is the amount but since it is a public safety issue, I am sure it would be "stiff" to drive home the message.

CBX

↡ Advertisement