Altis 10th gen vs Civic FD 1.8 vs VW Jetta 1.6l

Shern25

VW Jetta 1.6L now selling for only $79,000. that's the cheapest german car that is available for budget conscious family man. In terms of width it's wider than the 2 jap cars, meaning 3 people seating behind will feel less squeezy. And it's 6 speed auto, beating the civic that is 5 speed auto. Fuel economy is at 12.2km/l, matching or better than the civic 1.8. But the 0-100km/h timing is miserable at 13.3sec, with power only at 102bph. Altis is 12.2sec/107bph. Civic 1.8 I think is under 10sec. the wheelbase is 2578mm so expect not so good legspace, also losing to the 2 jap cars. Kerb weight is also the heaviest.

So with this consideration:

Altis 1.6A $69,000 key winning factor: price, quiet ride.

Civic 1.8A $78,000 key winning factor: acceleration, driver's car.

Jetta 1.6A $79,000 key winning factor: it's a conti german car.

(i will never consider 1.6 civic so it's out from my buying list).

Will you choose the Jetta 1.6A? (note that the other version is 1.4A which has the same engine as the golf gti and cost close to $100K).

↡ Advertisement

why FD consider a DRIVER car?? it just another family car with FF set up. nothing special. dont tell me it handle well, eg ek come with double wish bone front & back. FD Dont have, it will not handle better than the older gen civic.

Honda cxxxc lor....

Altis no need to mention,lots of thread abt it,being a tom yam,apek-ish etc

Jetta ??? Dont like Van Houten logo,many VW in China.

[:)]

I don't know how to paste picture in this forum. but what i am trying to show is that the interior colorings (dark and light beige) on the VW Jetta is exactly same as the new Altis!

main focus of this thread is about jetta vs civic, and jetta vs altis, rather than altis vs civic since it has been discussed in my previous thread. maybe i have put the title wrongly.

Neutral Newbie

Jetta is assemble in Mexico.

Civic FD is from japan.

IMHO, having everything equal i will choose a civic for one main reason "reliability"...

There are lots of jetta's owner review & report at vagsg site...i suggest login to have a look..

Have you not considered Opel Astra?? [:p]

And if you can wait a little longer then you might want to consider the all new Opel "Insignia".

It will be launch this July at London motor show and will be in showroom Nov08.

It come with 3 engines power...1.6, 2.0 and 2.8, all turbo...

Some links...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/04/2009-...ery-update.html

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/...-opel-insignia/

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/...-opel-insignia/

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008/04/200...officially.html

http://carnoise.blogspot.com/2008/04/euro-...a-revealed.html

Happy car hunting... [sunny]

Edited by Sonicmood

lancer ex is indeed a good buy but looks is subjective (I for one find the looks like those cars in the 60s). key selling point should be the loads of automatic features with spaciousness and at a low cost. but i don't like its loud engine and the draggy acceleration. anywhere, every car got its' own selling point and to include every car in this topic will be endless. so better to just focus on the cars in question. maybe you can start a thread on lancer EX.

for making that statment, i think u're still safe from being [rifle] by civic fans as i have just absorbed all their bullets and they probably have ran out of ammo.

yup. top 3 most reliable brands are all japs, namely mazda, honda and toyota. i won't consider opel, too alien for me. and heard that this conti brand is just a euro bread and butter car.

anywhere, one good thing about VW car is the protection. assuming 1 civic FD and 1 jetta collide at each other at non lethal speed, both sides of occupants will still be safe, but civic will have to undergo extensive repairs while the jetta only need to change the bumper, or probably just paint over the scratch marks...

Neutral Newbie

am puzzle by yr above comment ?!? y open this thread when i see that u have more or less make up yr mind? weird [hur]

Neutral Newbie

you have a 1.8L civic in your list obviously people will recommend Civic...

I dont see what is the outstanding part of Jetta

yup still altis, but today when i read the newspaper in the car ad, saw that there is a VW model selling at unbelievable low price, similar to civic 1.8. and wife also prefers conti then asian makes, so i put up in this forum to ask what other members think about this VW model. If good comments, may actually consider to come out with additional $10K to get this jetta than the altis.

the key point of jetta is 6 airbags and heavy armour, a big plus point to me considering i got 3 babies, and the additional $10k may be worth it, as compared to paying additional $8K to get civic just for the faster acceleration.

But... after reading through the VW forum as someone suggested, jetta is really a big NO. vibrating engine, noisey brakes, draggy acceleration etc. i think altis is still the car for me.

↡ Advertisement