Which fridge brand is better?  

88 members have voted

1. 1.

• mitsubishi
    • samsung
    • lg

Internal Moderator
On 2/2/2020 at 5:48 PM, yishunite said:

My Samsung fridge after 4 years coil leak. Repair cost $400+ and all the food inside had to throw out (at least another $100 worth lost).

Next time going to go with my mother type brand. All her fridge lasted 10+ years before giving up.

For your case, it is really the quality of the fridge. But sometimes it is because of user's problem too. My house has a 230L fridge but my mother always like to stuff tons of stuff inside the freezer compartment, causing the fan working extra hard. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

17 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

For your case, it is really the quality of the fridge. But sometimes it is because of user's problem too. My house has a 230L fridge but my mother always like to stuff tons of stuff inside the freezer compartment, causing the fan working extra hard. 

I think many ppl face the same issue. For my mum she buys too many repeated items and stuff them all in the fridge. I got fed dup and removed everything and sort them out cos the fridge is starting to make buzzing noises. 

Those which not necessary need to be stored in the fridge I put them in a see thru storage box next to the fridge. Those perishables I threw away cos too many identical items. Problem with elderly is they cant remember what they bought and poor eyesight. I have to sort things out where she would frequently use and put it where she can see easily. Telling her off multiple times is useless cos she will forget again. Once she saw that the storage box is full of her repeated items she stop buying and stop stuffing the fridge.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Internal Moderator
15 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I think many ppl face the same issue. For my mum she buys too many repeated items and stuff them all in the fridge. I got fed dup and removed everything and sort them out cos the fridge is starting to make buzzing noises. 

Those which not necessary need to be stored in the fridge I put them in a see thru storage box next to the fridge. Those perishables I threw away cos too many identical items. Problem with elderly is they cant remember what they bought and poor eyesight. I have to sort things out where she would frequently use and put it where she can see easily. Telling her off multiple times is useless cos she will forget again. Once she saw that the storage box is full of her repeated items she stop buying and stop stuffing the fridge.

I cannot stop my mother from buying. So I will make an effort to clean the fridge once in awhile to prevent it from clogging. Shun bian throw the stuff away. haha. she dun understand the theory. cause everytime she open the fridge, the fridge is in good condition. so she tot the fridge still can take a beating from her. hahaha.

• Haha! 4

9 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I cannot stop my mother from buying. So I will make an effort to clean the fridge once in awhile to prevent it from clogging. Shun bian throw the stuff away. haha. she dun understand the theory. cause everytime she open the fridge, the fridge is in good condition. so she tot the fridge still can take a beating from her. hahaha.

Get a bigger fridge lah. 230L... 

I have a 400+ one and I find the fridge small. Got lot of things u can store in the fridge. But of course more likely to end up with items u forgot about. 

200+ means if u cook daily, u need to go to market super often if u are feeding a family. But whatever makes ur mum happy lol 

Edited by Lala81

IMHO, fridge, aircon and car are quite similar. Get a brand that saves electricity, ease of repair, and spare parts abundance. Should save quite a bit of headache. 

• Praise 1

Talking about fridge, my 23 years old  LG 330L fridge pretended to end its life yesterday afternoon.  The freezer was still super cold, but the fresh food compartment suddenly stopped working. 

Rushed to Courts, gotten a new 507L Bosch fridge (son choose Bosch over LG), bargain until free express delivery today, now at home waiting for fridge delivery. 

Shifted the fridge to the living hall, and  filled it with 4 x 2.5kg of ice cubes to keep fridge as cold as possible to try and save the food inside. KNN, this morning woke up, the 4 bags of ice cube just melted a little, and the fridge like starting to get cold again. 

My eldest daughter came back last night, laughing and saying, " finally, our 23 years old fridge decides to quit!"...

And oh yah, Its a LG!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 6

42 minutes ago, Ichibawa said:

IMHO, fridge, aircon and car are quite similar. Get a brand that saves electricity, ease of repair, and spare parts abundance. Should save quite a bit of headache. 

Functionality also important. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
26 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Talking about fridge, my 23 years old  LG 330L fridge pretended to end its life yesterday afternoon.  The freezer was still super cold, but the fresh food compartment suddenly stopped working. 

Rushed to Courts, gotten a new 507L Bosch fridge (son choose Bosch over LG), bargain until free express delivery today, now at home waiting for fridge delivery. 

Shifted the fridge to the living hall, and  filled it with 4 x 2.5kg of ice cubes to keep fridge as cold as possible to try and save the food inside. KNN, this morning woke up, the 4 bags of ice cube just melted a little, and the fridge like starting to get cold again. 

My eldest daughter came back last night, laughing and saying, " finally, our 23 years old fridge decides to quit!"...

Woah. your fridge area can fit 507L over 330L?

You live wit the lobang for 23 years? hahahhaha.

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
53 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Get a bigger fridge lah. 230L... 

I have a 400+ one and I find the fridge small. Got lot of things u can store in the fridge. But of course more likely to end up with items u forgot about. 

200+ means if u cook daily, u need to go to market super often if u are feeding a family. But whatever makes ur mum happy lol 

I wish leh. But because of the capentry work in my kitchen, The fridge corner can only accommodate small fridge. I cannot buy ice cream and keep inside the fridge one. My mother will keep asking me to finish it. 🐽

• Haha! 3

11 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Woah. your fridge area can fit 507L over 330L?

You live wit the lobang for 23 years? hahahhaha.

This fridge is my first fridge, and it has followed us through a few moves already. One thing I learned after my first flat is dont build a rise platform (base) for your fridge and washing machine, so I always have the freedom to move and adjust.  Contractors always wants to do those because extra money they want to charge..[laugh][laugh][laugh]

My current space, I can fill up a 700L fridge in the lobang i created, I have a metal shelf inserted beside the current fridge in the lobang...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Haha! 1

46 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

It’s good that you’ve gotten a new one. 

回光返照 is only temporary 

but household items not wifey has final say one meh? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

37 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

LG fridges during the Goldstar era really no horse run. 

• Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

It’s good that you’ve gotten a new one. 

回光返照 is only temporary 

but household items not wifey has final say one meh? 

Yah, no 2nd thought after 2 hrs. At 23 years old, the fridge is already very kind to us for giving us a signal that it wants to retired liao, instead of throwing the letter and leave on the spot. 

So yah, no point hoping to stench it, just face the facts, 不要自欺欺人...

Wife cannot decide, so ask son decide, son said Bosch cool, so Bosch it shall be (20 min and we were on our way home liao)... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Ichibawa said:

Fridge spoil replace quite straightforward.. aircon spoil replace is a bigger headache, especially if need to rerun piping and piping is hidden..

• Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Yah, no 2nd thought after 2 hrs. At 23 years old, the fridge is already very kind to us for giving us a signal that it wants to retired liao, instead of throwing the letter and leave on the spot. 

So yah, no point hoping to stench it, just face the facts, 不要自欺欺人...

Wife cannot decide, so ask son decide, son said Bosch cool, so Bosch it shall be (20 min and we were on our way home liao)... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Mine has been leaking water from the edge of door due to worn rubber seal for at least two years liao 

wifey still reluctant to replace it...she wept when I moved the old washer out of the house last time...

• Haha! 3

15 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

LG fridges during the Goldstar era really no horse run. 

I remember I bought 3 items together (all LG) from GSH during their warehouse sales 23 years ago for my first flat. 

The first one to go was the TV, less than 5 years.  The washing machine lasted about 10-11 years, and now finally the last of the 3 is saying good bye... 

And yah LG fridge really is no horse run, i dont know if its still under Goldstar, but it has the LG logo on my fridge.

But their TVs seem short lifespan, so far myself, my FIL and my BIL, between us 3 LG tvs, all gone in less than 5 years, one surrendered in 3 years. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 3

14 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Mine has been leaking water from the edge of door due to worn rubber seal for at least two years liao 

wifey still reluctant to replace it...she wept when I moved the old washer out of the house last time...

worn rubber seal the cold air wont escape meh? can replace the rubber seals? 

lucky my OC not so emotional towards non living things. I say change, she only concern about size and energy consumption. [:p][laugh][laugh] 

↡ Advertisement