Is it a good time to buy a landed property to stay now?

Milgram

When I was young ,  Our house got alot of lobang ... everytime it rains , everywhere water dripping  :D  

So we collect them  all kind of pails we can find  plastic , metal , tin etc 

we loved the rain , we get free water and free music from the dripping .  [grin]  

my 1 cent worth ... dont water proof the roof 

Edited by Angcheek
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

When I was young ,  Our house got alot of lobang ... everytime it rains , everywhere water dripping  :D  

we loved the rain , we get free water and free music from the dripping .  [grin]  

I remember more of the zinc roof that made a lot of noise when raining. Really nice to sleep at night with the noise.

When I was young , Our house got alot of lobang ... everytime it rains , everywhere water dripping :D

So we collect them all kind of pails we can find plastic , metal , tin etc

we loved the rain , we get free water and free music from the dripping . [grin]

Last time my house not only top got lobang, bottom wooden floor also got lobang....

Can bio what they are doing below....

• Praise 1

To be fair if the family took the risk they deserve to reap the rewards, for all we know they could be sitting a mountain of cash but choose to be discreet and buy a house and park the funds into the business. 

Nothing wrong with that. You probably have more for retirement than he does :)

Best old school waterproofing is Tar, messy as anything under hot sun but man does it waterproof  [laugh]

For roof I used Sika waterproofing products.

My humble advice is use reliable branded waterproofing material and not those unknown China brand.

The other thing is don't get sweet talked into installing solar panel water heater. You will regret in years to come.

• Praise 4

Wah bro u double praise me, gum xia gum xia so touched, I lack the powers to do the same  :TT_TT:

To be fair if the family took the risk they deserve to reap the rewards, for all we know they could be sitting a mountain of cash but choose to be discreet and buy a house and park the funds into the business. 

Best old school waterproofing is Tar, messy as anything under hot sun but man does it waterproof  [laugh]

For me, 2 key points to note. If it is a flat roof, dont make it too flat. Make sure you have good gradient to ensure no ponding. You are not doing some lab work that require leveling. As long as there is not water, there will be no leak. No matter what waterproofing, got ponding, it is a matter of when it will leak.

For pitch roof, the more joints the more problems. At least 30% slope and ensure secondary layer of insultation material is not punctured. If you could use aluminium sheet to overall beneath the roof tiles, 20 years no problem.

My 2-cent

I used the slightly thick aluminum sheet for my roof. It cost a bit more but 6 years have passed, not a single leak.
  • Praise 1

So far for me, my landed holds value much better in the long run,. Bad times also can sell at a reasonble price

Not everyone so lucky. When I got mine, the previous owner owned it for 13 years and still sold it at a loss and it was a forced sale by his bank. He was unlucky to have bought when property price was at a peak.

My plan has been to sell off mine when near retirement and buy a HDB or condo. No need such a big space anymore by then.

• Praise 1

So far for me, my landed holds value much better in the long run,. Bad times also can sell at a reasonble price

There is always 2 schools of thought. Condo if location is good, rental yield better thus value also goes up faster and enbloc. Landed if freehold or even 999, you are save as long as you are not over stretched with loan. Where to find more freehold land in tiny red dot to build you own home?

• Praise 1

In my view, Landed is a priviledge that given by the government to sgprean. Because no foreign ownership is allowed, the proce of landed has been kept at a decent level. Otherwise it would have sky-rocketed long ago if foreign ownership is allowed.

The $/sq ft of landed is cheapest comparing with condo of the same lease. No where else one can find that kind of $/sq ft if one is looking for big gross space, yet having a land title vs strata title like condos.

Some may say landed has to take care of own maintenance cost, but that isn't really that much, comparing with a cluster house of the same GFA, the cluster guy would have to pay a huge sum of maintenance every month.

The only draw back is landed start with some min price to have livable condition unit. My thought is 2.7m for small one to 4mil for a corner unit, semi D is even higher. If one does not need so big floor area, then by uying a landed would tie down his cash which could otherwise be used for other investments like buying more condos for rent, shophouse, overseas investment etc.

In summary, if one could afford and needs a lot of floor area, landed is the cheapest option by $/sq ft.

• Praise 4

In my view, Landed is a priviledge that given by the government to sgprean. Because no foreign ownership is allowed, the proce of landed has been kept at a decent level. Otherwise it would have sky-rocketed long ago if foreign ownership is allowed.

The $/sq ft of landed is cheapest comparing with condo of the same lease. No where else one can find that kind of $/sq ft if one is looking for big gross space, yet having a land title vs strata title like condos.

Some may say landed has to take care of own maintenance cost, but that isn't really that much, comparing with a cluster house of the same GFA, the cluster guy would have to pay a huge sum of maintenance every month.

The only draw back is landed start with some min price to have livable condition unit. My thought is 2.7m for small one to 4mil for a corner unit, semi D is even higher. If one does not need so big floor area, then by uying a landed would tie down his cash which could otherwise be used for other investments like buying more condos for rent, shophouse, overseas investment etc.

In summary, if one could afford and needs a lot of floor area, landed is the cheapest option by $/sq ft.

I agree that its always a trade off in life.

To me, life is not about just about making money (thats not to say that making money is unimportant)

However the following questions beckon......

How do we spend the money to balance our lives?

How do we use the money to gain happiness in the form of comfort and time saved.

How do we use the money to improve the life experiences of first and foremost our loved ones

No it also isnt about YOLO.

But the truth is that life is short and we all have basically only one go at it.

Finding that balance is really not easy

Acheiving that balance is even more difficult.

So for me to own and live in a house that i can truly afford (whether i need the space or not) instead of just thinking about how much money i can make by renting it out is more worthwhile.

The true value of money is gain only when you spend it

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 5

Basket showing off again

telling us you are ahead of ALL of us in going GREEN.

So jealous.

• Praise 4

Actually HDB are pretty decent but just did not justify it's current cost. For those that just like to splash 'a little' more to pamper themselves, there is this selection between condo and landed.

They both have their pros and cons. As you get older and children moves out, your needs and requirements changed. Then it is time to review again. Whichever you have choosen, as lo g as you paln to stay, choose one that suit your lifestyle.

↡ Advertisement