Where to get a bicycle rack for car?

Kelpie

1. Find it rather troublesome to fold down rear seat, take out the front quick release wheel and insert the hybrid bicycle from the boot. Have to do it very carefully inorder not scratch anything.

2. Is there a better way of doing thing? such as a bicycle rack that I don't have to be bothered with strings and hood? where to get and what is the average price of getting one? By the way, I don't want those roof mounted kind.

Please advise me and Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

There's only 2 ways to lug your bikes around... By rear boot or On the roof.

If you dun like roof type, only rear boot type for you. No other way unless your is the SUV rear wheel mounted type which has no strings.

Reputable rear wheel type brand are Thule and Saris.

I am using Thule... not that difficult to mount and dismantle. Go bike shops to try and experience it yourself.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Like Mercuri mentioned, those without strings and hooks need to be attached to the rear wheel mount. A good one will prob cost more than your bike.

As for those with strings and hooks, Saris is a pretty good brand and it cost around $200. Be prepared for some rubbing at the support points on your car. And frankly speaking, mounting the bicycle rack prob takes the same amount of time as your current method. [;)]

Since you are not riding dirt tracks, given a choice, I'll just dump the bike in the boot. Only use the bike rack when I need to carry 2 or more bicycles or when I know the bike is gonna be dirty after the ride. But most of the time, I just ride to the trials, get all muddy, and then cycle home again.

Edited by Fondue
  • Praise 1

(edited)

If you have ruled out roof racks, then the only other option left is trunk/hatch mounted racks, since hitch racks are illegal in Singapore. Unless you have an MPV with a spare wheel mount.

Personally, I own 3 bike racks. 1 roof rack and 2 trunk/hatch mounted racks.

My favourite is the roof rack. Stable, easy to mount/dismount, no need to dismantle any wheels, lockable. My choice everytime. Too bad I can't use one anymore as I my current car is a convertible. Cost is > $1k for 2 bikes in my configuration. There are cheaper models no doubt. I bought it from here: http://www.pro-rv.com.sg/

Here's a pic of it and on my old car with my bike mounted:

Roof.jpg

WithBike.jpg

My 1st ever trunk/hatch mount is a Thule. It's functional and pretty stable. Never had any problems with it even with 3 bikes mounted. No shortage of space at all. But the rubber feet tend to be quite scratchy on your car's paintwork. Cost me about $160 if I remember correctly. Bought it from here: http://www.soonwatt.com/contact_us.htm

Here's a pic of it:

ThuleTrunk.jpg

My most recent bike rack purchase is the Saris 3 Bone Rack. Very sturdy (more secure than the one above) and the rubber feet seem to be less scratchy for your car. I've only ever mounted 2 bikes on it at a time, but it seems more cramped than the Thule one above. Fits even over my car's lowish spoiler with no problems. In any case, I always paste masking tape on the contact points on my car. This is the one I'd recommend if you are looking for a trunk/hatch spoiler. I paid about $250 for it here: http://www.togoparts.com/bikeshops/shop_details.php?sid=65

Here's a pic of it:

Saris.jpg

Finally a group shot just for fun:

Group.jpg

Edited by Chickenbackside
  • Praise 1

i have a bicycle rack that mounts on the rear trunk which i bought for around 60 bucks.havent use it for the past 2 yrs.but last time when i am still riding , it didnt give me any problem even mounting a near 30kg dh bike with 12" travel dual crown fork .holds pretty well.

u can have it foc if you want.pm me.self collect.

• Praise 1

i have a bicycle rack that mounts on the rear trunk which i bought for around 60 bucks.havent use it for the past 2 yrs.but last time when i am still riding , it didnt give me any problem even mounting a near 30kg dh bike with 12" travel dual crown fork .holds pretty well.

Thank you very much for your kind offer [thumbsup]. I saw one that Hup Leong at Cross Street is selling for $68. May I ask you for the brand/model info so that I can look it up in the internet. Not so nice to get it FOC and in the end doesn't use for various reasons.

Regards,

(edited)

1. Nice racks you have there! Actually, I bought a rack that resemble your 1st trunk/hatch mount rack with the intention to use it years ago. But I find it too troublesome with the strings/hoods and the possibility of scratching the paint work. In the end, I gave it away without using even once at all [laugh].

2. Saris 3 Bone Rack looks less cumbersome and I saw it selling in the bike shop too and it is about the same price.

3. How to operate a roof rack? need a ladder to bring the bicycle up/down or not?

4. By the way, you mentioned that hitch rack is illegal? But I saw a few sedan cars fitted with the rack. Look pretty neat and can just release the bike easily from the rack without the need to tussle with strings and hook.

Thank you.

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie

Like Mercuri mentioned, those without strings and hooks need to be attached to the rear wheel mount. A good one will prob cost more than your bike.

As for those with strings and hooks, Saris is a pretty good brand and it cost around $200. Be prepared for some rubbing at the support points on your car. And frankly speaking, mounting the bicycle rack prob takes the same amount of time as your current method.

Since you are not riding dirt tracks, given a choice, I'll just dump the bike in the boot. Only use the bike rack when I need to carry 2 or more bicycles or when I know the bike is gonna be dirty after the ride. But most of the time, I just ride to the trials, get all muddy, and then cycle home again.

Thanks for the advice. The problem is by folding the rear seat down and with the bicycle in there, my kids got no space to sit. With a proper rack, I can hold up to 4 bicycles and bring the family for cycling [:)].

Regards,

(edited)

If you every tried a roof rack, I promise you that you will never even consider a trunk rack. It's a great way of transporting bikes.

No need ladder lah, even for an MPV. It's all about technique:

1) Set the frame support at the approximate correct angle

2) Put one hand on your fork leg, another hand on the down tube

3) Lift directly to the rack and set it down on the wheel trays

4) Lock the frame support clamp to the frame (just one twist of a knob)

5) Tie down the wheels with the wheel straps

6) Done.

Takes about 20 secs to mount one bike. Dismounting is just as easy and quick.

I hate both my trunk racks, but no choice as my car has a fabric roof. Trunk racks are fiddly and will scratch your paint. The saris might look less cumbersome, but it is exactly the same as the Thule trunk rack in terms of setting it up. Takes a long time to set it properly with all those straps.

Edited by Chickenbackside

Bro, I may consider roof rack but my bike very heavy, el cheapo Aleoca full suspension, dunno whether roof will cave in, and I also think it is a bitch to mount so high. Also if cannot lift properly, bam there goes the paintwork.

BTW you live in landed? I very scared I go into driveway with bikes on the roof.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

i have 4 pieces of the aero roof rack foot pack for sale at 100. Cars with vertical bars on the roof sides can use the. Eg, Hyundai Tucson. All you need is the purchase the horizontal aero loading bars and bike racks to complete the set up. You can get me at 96557646.

Something similar to this below.

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-400XT-Aero-Roo...10348610&sr=8-5

Bro, if your car roof can cave in with the weight of an Aleoca on it, you have more serious things to think about! Trust me, your car roof is stronger than you think...

Seriously, you need to try it to know that it's not as hard as you imagine it to be. It's one swift motion. From ground, take deep breath if your bike is heavy, lift and immediately rest on wheel tray. That is all the lifting there is, and it's less than 3 seconds.

The trick is know know where to hold your bike and aim your wheels to rest on the wheel trays immediately after you lift.

I used to stay on a landed. Now I stay in an HDB estate. Of course you need to make sure you get your height clearances correct. Driving into a multi storey carpark is not good. But honestly, it's no problem at all unless you really really need to go and park in a multi storey carpark after cycling. If I go to eat in town after that, I will just valet park the car and the valets will simply park your car outside the hotel. A bit expensive at $12 (usually) but definitely worth the convenience.

Thanks for the info bro. Ever since I got my new car I thought my cycling experince with family will be gone, as I have duck lip spoiler and dare not use trunk rack anymore, my last car trunk rack dented in the boot. Roof mount can carry three bikes?

Some ppl suggest I use sticker when using roof mounted rack, to remind me of bikes on top.

Yeah I know the roof is strong as it is designed to actually support the weight of the entire car if it turns turtle.

The Saris Bone Rack is designed to work with cars with spoilers. Not GT wings of course, but it can accommodate most non GT wig type spoilers. If your car is wide enough, you can definitely mount 3 bikes on your roof. I have seen Honda Odysees with 3 bikes mounted on the roof.

OK thanks. Last thing is budget, Approx $1k for roof rack, CFO sure not approve, with that kind of money can buy Plasma TV........will have to see how. [laugh]

Thank you very much for your kind offer [thumbsup]. I saw one that Hup Leong at Cross Street is selling for $68. May I ask you for the brand/model info so that I can look it up in the internet. Not so nice to get it FOC and in the end doesn't use for various reasons.

Regards,

no prob dude.that is the one i got.cant remember exactly the model but i got it from gilbert at hup leong 2 yrs back.anyway i received afew pm and finally given it out to fellow forumer Siemens60 yesterday evening.

cheers

saris is definitely the best in the market.. i had the 2 bones for a while but i sold it off last year, cos i realised that i could cycle almost anywhere and everywhere i wanted. [sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement