Finance Minister says price of rice to rise

Garlic

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../346878/1/.html

By Chio Su-Mei, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 10 May 2008 2131 hrs

SINGAPORE: Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said the price of rice could increase in the immediate future because of Cyclone Nargis. However, he assured Singaporeans that the government is monitoring the situation.

Mr Tharman said: "The unfortunate destruction of rice fields in Myanmar means that in the short-term, of course the rice price will go up even further. Hopefully it will stabilise and come down towards the end of the year. But we'll have to watch this carefully. No one knows for sure what will happen to global food prices - rice as well as other foods."

Mr Tharman was speaking to reporters after launching celebrations to mark Vesak Day, at Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza on Saturday.

He urged Singaporeans to maintain a peaceful, multi-racial and multi-religious society. This event is organised by the Singapore Buddhist Federation and includes an exhibition on Buddhism and a vegetarian food fair.

Celebrations will take place on 10 and 11 May and is open to public. - CNA/vm

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Time to prepare to pay more for food.

Anything is going North, only the salary is staying or heading South.

[bigcry]

Neutral Newbie

I remember few yrs back eggs prices went from 10, 15cents to 6o cents, almost up by 5 times. I do not thinking foods prices have reach the wall??

Neutral Newbie
However, he assured Singaporeans that the government is monitoring the situation.

What an inconclusive statement..... Never say what the gahmen is going to do.......

(edited)
i dun think it will rise too much tho... haiz... everything so ex nowadays [sweatdrop]

I thought Singaporean only eat expensive Thai rice??? What has it got to do with the unfortunate destruction of rice fields in Myanmar? Unless, we're donating all the Thai rice to them?

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie

blardy kns minister. before tat, said price will stabilise, ask everyone not to stock up. now say price will go up. big sabo. those who listened to him would have to pay much more now for rice whilst whose smart enough to ignore his fcuking mouth happily sit on cheap rice at home. can eat and tahan until end of this year. by then, price should come down cos new crop would have been planted and harvested.

he assured Singaporeans that the government is monitoring the situation.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

no nid monitor one lah... just ask hen guud horse bring the price of rice down.

http://app.reach.gov.sg/reach/YourSay/REAC...st/Default.aspx

Dr Ng also called the Workers' Party a Wayang (or Theatre) Party - as it only wants to get Singaporeans riled up by focusing on criticisms and not solutions.

He said, "This is a Wayang Party, WP, not Workers' Party...Do they have solutions? Can they bring the price of oil down? Can they stop factories from pulling out of Singapore and find you jobs? Can they bring down the price of rice, a loaf of bread, a cup of coffee?

"What does the Workers' Party want?...You look at their ideas, when they came up with their manifesto; we say these are dangerous ideas, we expose them. But they say 'akan datang', wait, we talk about it in the General Election. Have they talked about it?"

Dr Ng has accused the WP for breaking down all that Singapore has built, so they can come into power and be the next government.

Excerpts from Today

Neutral Newbie
i dun think it will rise too much tho... haiz... everything so ex nowadays [sweatdrop]

I think it will keep on going North. The oil is going North either.

Neutral Newbie
eat more hamburger lah.... $2... muahahaha

That problem is no good for health. Still pretty asian food.

(edited)

put dried chili. im surprised our million dollar minister dunno how to store rice longer.

Edited by Arowana1
↡ Advertisement