Recommend compact printer please

Karebu

(edited)

My second HP printer died on me. It's PrintScanCopy1210.

Error: Incorrect ink cartridge/ink cartridge problem/incorrect ink cartridge/cannot detect blah blah [rifle]

-Changed to a brand new cartridge but problem came back again in a week.

-Tried cleaning metal contacts with alcohol

-Tried head alignment

-Tried cartridge cleaning (utility which wastes alot of ink)

-Tried pressing some weird combination of buttons to reset printer

-Tried taping up some metal contacts to 'trick' the printer into thinking it's new

-Tried updating driver

-Tried HP ink cartridge utility software

I wouldn't mind if it keeps jamming or it's too creaky to move but I just can't tolerate ****ing stupid software problem. There must be a patch but HP can't be bothered it seems.

Heard printers are cheap these days (are there any <$50? That's almost the cost of a damn HP cartridge). I'm a lite user, probably print <50 pages a year. I don't mind taking out a printer and hooking it up each time I use, so I would like something small preferably. Doesn't matter if it prints slow. Hopefully replacement cartridges are cheap also. I don't want to buy a new printer just because it's cheaper than to replace ink. (cutting down on e-refuse)

Can anyone recommend brand/model if possible?

Edited by Karebu
↡ Advertisement

depends on ur need. i've switched to black lazer cos the refills r chirper over long term.

but if u want ink cartidge, u need to regularly condition them. store them away when not in use. cannon n brothers wud b the way to go if u want to use refill station.

got such thing as compact laser boh? [sweatdrop]

and what's the price range anyway? and how often do they break down?

my guess it;s not the software but the print head getting blocked with dried out ink. You mentioned u r a lite user. same here and end up having to spend more time cleaning the head then printing. gave up completely. now if i need to print anything, i bring it to my office on my thumb drive [lipsrsealed]

but i heard canon printers have their print nozzles on the catridges while other brands like epson have it on the printers. is it true?

I'm not sure if they are clogged. But merely the detection of the cartridges itself is screwed up. It's not even able to print blank pages.

I don't know whether to trust these:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/02/23/hp-hit-...ink-cartridges/

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20050222/1220232.shtml

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/40826.h...come=1210650113

laser not ex lah... i buy refill bottle $48, using for 2 years still printing.

if ink one, long time sell backside liaoz.

i have a canon MP545 all in one printer which is about 2 years 10 months old, no more warranty. when i power on there's an error message B200 on the display and i cant use the printer to do any function. the manual says to turn off and on, if not it says need to send to canon? anyone know whats B200 error message mean? should i get a new printer instead? which brand of cartridges are cheap? for my current printer it uses 5 individual ink tank, one original tank costs $19 [bigcry] many thanks!

I think the main cause is under-utilisation.

Most print heads will clog up if not used regularly.

Currently using HP 6 colour photo printer C7280 Print, Scan, Fax, Copy.

Using refillable ink.

This printer uses compressed air to clean print heads, instead of own ink to do it as with most other printers. so it's lean on ink consumption.

I would estimate that I have printed like at least 3 rims of papers from the same refillable ink bottles, with most of them half used.

Print quality is very good.