Alternative to having maids

Redz

is there any alternatives instead of employing a maid? as we know, some of them comes with unwanted baggage be it socially or otherwise. and funny thing, not much protection are given to employers on this wayward maids but there are tonnes of law that protects them.... very weird. eg, if they are pregnant, run away....employers are to blame?? what part are we involved in getting them pregnant or run away? by giving them off days that are required by law? whose law was that in the first place? sigh.... in dilemma now.

↡ Advertisement

that's a good alternative but then i have young kids ard 5 and 2. if send to childcare,it's going to be very expensive.

Turbocharged
GOT!!!...pay your wife $290K a month and you get full service... Thumbs Up

My grandmother had 10 children.

According to that article, my grandma should be paid 10 x $290k = $2.9 million a year.

Wow! That's quite a few peanuts!

is there any alternatives instead of employing a maid? as we know, some of them comes with unwanted baggage be it socially or otherwise. and funny thing, not much protection are given to employers on this wayward maids but there are tonnes of law that protects them.... very weird. eg, if they are pregnant, run away....employers are to blame?? what part are we involved in getting them pregnant or run away? by giving them off days that are required by law? whose law was that in the first place? sigh.... in dilemma now.

1. Yes, there are alternatives but comes with a higher price tag especially if you have young kids and old folks at home:

a) Part-time local maids are more expensive than foreign maids and they charge by hour and they don't do everything for example baby sit. So you may end up employing bady sitter plus a part-time domestic helper. In SG, a foreign maid is AIO worker.

b) If teh maid is not reliable to look after kids when you are at work then you probably have to send your kids to full-day child care centre and this will cost you even more.

2. Best is to have able parents that live with you to solve the problems. If the old folks that live with you are aged sick plus you have kids, then God bless you. You can likewise send the old folks to day care centre and again it means money. The problem is people get married later, so have kids later, so how to fund the child education foe 20 over years and pay off loans?

3. So for example, if you have to send 2 old folks to day care and 2 kids to child care daily, then is really siong without a maid. Of course, if the wife is not working , can help out too but in Singapore how to survive with single income with so many liabilities?

4. Every problem can be solved easier if have money. Too bad, we're living in a material word. Don't have the money and don't want the burden then don't get married [:/].

Regards,

Supercharged

since not much info, can only presume both yr missus & you are working full-time. send both kids to full day childcare since they are able to. wkdays settle for tingkat meals. get those hrly part-time maid in to clean the hse, iron the clothes. spend the time wisely with kids. wkends if u 1 2 save costs, u can cook at home. don't make life miserable trying to do everything yrself & strain yr rs.

Turbocharged

so what is the purpose you need maid?

1. look after kids

2. house work

3. cooking

if all 3, then bo pian. nothing else available at the wages they earn and no one else will do it. i suppose looking at other urban cities living can give some tips.

smaller house do less cleaning

eat out more or simpler meals with less messy cooking style

leave kids with neighbours? hire baby sitters? relatives and friends?

good luck

To find a good maid is like a needle in a hay stack.

How abt sending to ur parents or in laws or Get a nanny within ur estate.

i agree with you that with old folks at home, will be better. they can also help to look at what the maid is doing. we have been asking our old folks to stay with us, but seems they want a place of their own which i also understand as they need space on their own. putting a camera is also an alternative. but we may not like what we see when we review the recording. [sweatdrop] but then, is a good alternative. i may have to check out for quotes on installing camera

yup both of us are working. have 3 young kids on tow. the eldest is not so bad as he's in primary school. but the other 2 are pre-schoolers. if i have to put them in childcare, it will cost me a bomb. my missus and i are now discussing on putting camera to monitor the maid. we will see how it goes from there.

yup, that's the main purpose to have a maid. but then, once all my kids are in primary school, i am most likely not to have the maid at all. bear in mind, now kids in primary school are spending like 9-10 hrs in school! so defeat the purpose to have maid at home alone having fun during that 9-10 hours!! [sweatdrop]

i totally agree with you. we had one maid last time. very good with the kids, cooking and housework. but she got pregnant mixing with all those banglas during her off day!! i am so furious and send her home immediately. this is the 2nd one. looks a bit decent and as if don't know the world....but she's as cunning as a fox! always doing things secretly. scolding the kids when we are not at home. last straw was the other when i came home unexpected. she was wearing somehing nice as if she is going out after sending my kid to school. damn! [mad]

↡ Advertisement