New SUV gets impounded for smuggling ciggies

Apollo

Contraband cigarettes found hidden in car boot, driver arrested

By Gamar Abdul Aziz, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 15 May 2008 0111 hrs

phpDXfVoa.jpg

SINGAPORE : He was well-dressed and drove a brand-new car but he was also a cigarette smuggler.

The 30-year-old man, who was dressed in suit and tie, arrived at the Woodlands Checkpoint on Wednesday in his brand new Sports Utility Vehicle.

Upon checking, officers from the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) found cartons of cigarettes hidden in the speaker box compartment in the car boot.

A total of 100 cartons of duty-unpaid cigarettes was found hidden in the vehicle. The man was arrested and his vehicle seized.

The customs duty payable was estimated to be about S$7,040, and Goods and Services Tax at S$640.

The driver claimed he would be paid S$500 if he successfully delivers the contraband cigarettes.

Preliminary investigations reveal that he had collected the cigarettes from a shop in Johor Bahru, Malaysia. He was supposed to wait for further instructions upon arrival in Singapore.

The case has been referred to the Singapore Customs for further investigations.

If found guilty, first time offenders can be fined up to a maximum of 20 times the amount of duty evaded. Repeat offenders can be jailed for up to two years and fined. - CNA/de

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../347803/1/.html

gossip.gif can sell backside liaoz.. shakehead.gifshakehead.gif

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Very rare in Sg ppl wear suit n tie driving in n out of MY. Even though he is attending a function or wedding dinner, normally ppl will just wear tie and leave suit in the car. No wonder he raised suspicious by ICA.

Edited by Tonyg

hope this idiot is not using his own SUV.... Nowadays, the custom is so strict that even 6 stick of cigarette is chargeble, my friend was fine for $200 for bringing in 6 stick of Malaysian cigarette (bought liao cannot finish).... he was told that there was a big sign board stated clearly no duty free cig and alcohol alrd.... [dead][dead][dead]

Neutral Newbie

impound... charged in court... if can pay fine... then good... even use the basic min 10 times fine also abt 80k fine... consider very little laio... usually also 150 plus... k

if cannot pay... then jail in default... maybe abt 8 month to 1 year plus

then becos he modified his car to smuggle... the SUV will definitely be applied to be forfeited !!!!

really stupid... for 500 buck go do all these...

so for 500... he lost car... lost money... lost time in life

Neutral Newbie

Small fish let the authorities catch while the big fish swim pass.

This could be a scape goat case....or whatever, i wont know.

last night at 1am coming back to singapore, the custom officers saw some boxes of cigar in a car driven by a 50+ year old singapore man.

custom officer accompanied him to the green big rubbish bin throw the cigar away. I think its just a few boxes and give chance cos its 1am

A few sticks/packets of ciggies also want to summon.

Poor old man.

I think they got their piorities wrong.

They should really be on the look out for Salamat.

it's precisely because they are looking for selamat that they leave no stone - or boot cover - unturned and hence exposed his cigarettes [laugh]

I kena fined before for an unopened pack. However I was told by the officer that allowable is an open pack with at least a stick consumed leh.....

Why $200? fine. That's for a full packet. If its only 6 sticks, then should be pro rata mah....

hope this idiot is not using his own SUV.... Nowadays, the custom is so strict that even 6 stick of cigarette is chargeble, my friend was fine for $200 for bringing in 6 stick of Malaysian cigarette (bought liao cannot finish).... he was told that there was a big sign board stated clearly no duty free cig and alcohol alrd.... [dead][dead][dead]

Neutral Newbie

you need to declare, consumed or new cig at custom office before you enter the green lane..

if it's consumed, they'll tell you they wouldn't tax you as it's consumed.

but if it's new pack, they'll tax you if not mistaken should be $7.50 /w gst..

if you caught not declared for it, $200 fine.

1 stick also $200, 19 stick also $200

but even if you declared and caught outside that buildig, $500 fine!!!

Very rare in Sg ppl wear suit n tie driving in n out of MY. Even though he is attending a function or wedding dinner, normally ppl will just wear tie and leave suit in the car. No wonder he raised suspicious by ICA.

This is called so smart that become Stupid [hur][laugh] .

A lot of people like this, cannot afford nice car but die die need to show face then have to smuggle to pay for instalments/petrol. Dumbasses [hur]

↡ Advertisement