Why VW is screwing around with Golf owners - A Rant

Miketow

can anyone enlighten me what's the difference between Golf GTI and Golf GTI LE? how come LE is cheaper?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

GTi is the VW Golf Hatchback with a 2L Turbo

GLE is the "Johnny come lately" VW Jetta Sedan with a 2L Turbo

GLE is the same thing as the GTi but comes with a boot - and CHEAPER

Neutral Newbie

The limited edition is limited in accessory, no xeon light, no sunroof, no leather seat and no electric seat the rest all the same but cheaper than 20k

Neutral Newbie
Let me just say this upfront. I am against car dealers making big profit, to me, anything remotely close to 100% of OMV is obscene.

Based on the example you have given on the comparison of R32 vs 130/125, I had similar discussion with my pals sometime ago. You will be surprised what other view points people has.

For one, I was told that 1-series is entry level, hence, they cannot priced it too high. Hence that justifies R32 margin.

Secondly, 1-series is not really a BMW, only 3 series and above is.

I was completely blood-boiled hearing these .. but I chose to let this person continue to give his money away to car dealers.

BTW, I do not own a VW or BMW. I am just car lover hoping that one day our car prices is more sane.

It amazes me why you get so worked up and upset over something that doesn't even affect you. First, you own neither a Volkswagon nor BMW. They didn't fleece your money, so why so upset? Second, it is none of your business how much VGS and PML earns. They are businesses and have every right to decide how to price their products. You don't have to buy their products if you are unsatisfied in any way. If one day VGS decides to sell the Phaeton for $1 million, are are going to fly into a rage and rain your fire and brimstone onto all the people in VGS? And even if there should be people willing to pay $1 million for the hypothetical Phaeton, as long as they can afford it and are happy with their purchase, what's your business to get upset? Take it easy, dude!

yes..some are PI Golf GTI..but I believe more than half of it is still VGS GTI...browsing thru the SGcarmart GTI for sale and can tell..the GTI with 31K OMV is VGS one and those 26K (approx) OMV is PI one..you can see that there are still considerably more GTI units with 31K OMV for sale there..

Lol... SGCarmart isn't the only place where you can get used cars [:p]

Not everyone advertises through that channel [:)]

But then again... what do I know? [sweatdrop][:p]

Neutral Newbie

MKVI is coming early because of high production costs for the MKV (too many manhours per car, even doors had to be aligned manually), it has nothing to do with cashing in on the popularity of the GTI, get your facts right.

GLI is cheaper but it's missing a lot of things that the GTI has. Again, before you rattle off the top of your head without thinking, go do some research before talking nonsense.

The GTI has always commanded a higher price compared to the GLI, anywhere on this planet. It's how the position the car, a hot hatch versus a more useful sedan which incidentally isn't as agile. I know, I've driven both.

You are right you know, I should not get upset over people throwing their money away. I supposed you are one of those who do that then.

However, I will not take your suggestion to keep my mouth shut when car dealers are making obscene margin. I will post and hopefully people would appreciate. Not for you for sure because you are willingly throwing money away.

You take it easy too.

The limited edition GTI is going at 104k now. The GT is 103k

But the limited edition GTi only comes in red color ... eeeee!

For the GT, your days of unreliability and engine problems has just started.

Good luck to you.

can anyone enlighten me what's the difference between Golf GTI and Golf GTI LE? how come LE is cheaper?

A lot of things also don't have.

Only available in red. No other color choice.

GTi is the VW Golf Hatchback with a 2L Turbo

GLE is the "Johnny come lately" VW Jetta Sedan with a 2L Turbo

GLE is the same thing as the GTi but comes with a boot - and CHEAPER

In Singapore, if bought from C&C (VCS):

Golf GTi made in Africa.

Jetta GLE made in Mexico.

I know SGcarmart isn't the only channel for buying used cars..but if a certain trend keeps coming up after sometime, it is indicative of something..I have been monitoring the adverts for Golf GTI at SGcarmart for the past 1 yr or so, and during this period, I have consistently seen considerably more VGS GTIs put up for sale compared to PI GTIs..it is not a once off thingy but has been the phenonmenon for more than a yr...it cannot be that owners of PI GTIs consistently preferred to put up their cars for sale elsewhere compared to VGS GTIs owners right?

yeah the PI GTIs is at least a good 10 grand cheaper than VGS GTI..at one stage was asking around but some PI seems reluctant to sell GTI..

am now looking at 2nd hand ones also cos I feel they are much more value for money..

The limited edition GTI is going at 104k now. The GT is 103k

How come they drop the price so fast?? becos of few takers? it was 110K on 19th may, the last time I got the price from them..just over a week later it had come down to 104k? 104K is quite reasonable price then.. [sly]

Neutral Newbie
MKVI is coming early because of high production costs for the MKV (too many manhours per car, even doors had to be aligned manually), it has nothing to do with cashing in on the popularity of the GTI, get your facts right.

GLI is cheaper but it's missing a lot of things that the GTI has. Again, before you rattle off the top of your head without thinking, go do some research before talking nonsense.

The GTI has always commanded a higher price compared to the GLI, anywhere on this planet. It's how the position the car, a hot hatch versus a more useful sedan which incidentally isn't as agile. I know, I've driven both.

Huh? SlowPoke? What talking you? I certainly mentioned the MK6's imminent arrival but I never said it was BECAUSE OF THAT, VW is cashing in on the GTi? Err..by the way it's Golf I said, not Gti - Get your facts right.

Oh and in you need more facts, VW did succeed in copying Ford Focus's superior Control Blade rear sussie for the Golf 5 but blew a billion dollars doing so and could never mass produce it cheap like Ford to break even on the R&D - so yeah, they had to find a way to make something cheaper - earlier.

BTW my rant was lamenting about the "LOOK" of the GTi Front taken wholesale and stuck on lock stock on the family sedan. I dunno where you pluck stuff from the hot air about the different specs. We all know there are some differences like the SUNROOF etc- but that was NEVER the point of my rant.

And yeah, we all also know the GLI drives handles less spiritedly too - It was mentioned in the Saturday's national newspaper.

Neutral Newbie

How did this fact about "copying" of the suspension blades come about? I've read many of our posts, that's the only thing that you seem to keep harping on. Copying? Control blade suspension has been in the market for years. The one thing that they did try to follow is the combination of stiffer shocks and softer springs, not the other way round.

Read your first sentence about exclusivity blah blah blah and then tell me you weren't referring to cashing in on the GTI.

My my, some people can't read/write.

↡ Advertisement