Lucky Draws in JB, Think again

Ahdi

Neutral Newbie

Was in JB for my usual pumping and dinner with a friend. Pumped full at Pelangi Shell and left. At the exit of the station, one guy and one woman, early 20s approached.

They claim that they are from this company which r newly formed, and wishes to use this lucky draw as a marketing strategy. They passed me and my frnd each a broucher and wanted us to open it. if it says thanks, then too bad, and if there is a price hiiden, i have won.

True enough i opened mine and inside shows a round silver or blue circle. That guy became v exicted and said OMG this is the big prize, immediately called his manager and the manager spoke to me, asking if i'm in relation with the guy giving out the lucky draw as he scared we might be in cahoots. Then he showed me a lot of newspaper cutting saying that i have won the lucky draw, the prize would only show upon reaching the office and using the machine to scan. After much pestering, he brought me to therir office at Desa Tebrau.

Everything seems fine at the office, manager started explanation to me abotu the whole company, nothing fishy. The main problem is that when i acknowledge that i wanted to check out the prize, i would have to prepare RM3798 to pay for one of the company new products and some custom or govt GST. Upon checking the prize, they would collect my RM3798 and process the prize, collected within 30mins.

The prize that they are giving are prizes like toyota altis and holiday packages, each worthing at least RM6K. so no matter wad i would nv make a loss.

However after much thinking and all these cases of conman, i decided to give my frnd a call, a salon girl whom i regulared. she mentioned that all these are con tricks and upon paying, the prizes would turn out to be those useless worthless stuffs.

In the end i gave up the "PRIZE" and went off.

Just want to remind MCf pals who frequent JB, if u happen to meet these guys, dun waste ur time. I'm lucky to have wasted an hour and RM5 of petrol only. They might one day start to use abuse to bring out ur $$ b4 letting u off.

↡ Advertisement

Dun B greedyin JB B Safe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Have talk about tis on this thread, so always remember dun b greedy u will b ok

Neutral Newbie

There are already many such young men and women trying to stop every car at the Caltex petrol kisok exit nearest to custom.

bro, never thought u really believe at 1st to go with them.What if they are robbers ? it's dangerous to follow them to the office.

I will never believe in any so-called lucky draw prizes which requires one to pay some amount upfront in order to claim the prizes..

any calls to me abt claiming for some prizes but need me to pay some amt in order to claim the prizes always get the cold treatment from me or I will tell them that they can despatch the prize with the deducted amount..

I was also approached at a Esso station.

That guy was so excited when he found I have "won". I told him "thats great news man! hey tell you what....I give the prize to you. steady bo?"

Then he realised I knew this tactic liao. But I was very courteous about it. And he thanked me and went away.

Cantonese got 1 saying "where got such a big frog anyhow jumping on the streets?". Actually I've never heard of such a tactic, but that "news" was too good to be true.

Live with this policy and you will never go wrong...

"No big fat chicken running all over the street"

"No free lunches in this world"

"If it sounds too good to be true....it is too good to be true"

All these crap "marketing"....who would wanna do a losing biz.

Their calling cards should read "Marketing Fraudutive"

I was approached in the same way. I didnt even borther to open the lucky drwa. Told them to open themselves and collect the prizes [laugh]

never believe the sky will drop $$$ on my lap...

the venue could be outside back where you have just withdraw $$$ from ATM machines. Watch out bros !

Was in JB for my usual pumping and dinner with a friend. Pumped full at Pelangi Shell and left. At the exit of the station, one guy and one woman, early 20s approached.

They claim that they are from this company which r newly formed, and wishes to use this lucky draw as a marketing strategy. They passed me and my frnd each a broucher and wanted us to open it. if it says thanks, then too bad, and if there is a price hiiden, i have won.

True enough i opened mine and inside shows a round silver or blue circle. That guy became v exicted and said OMG this is the big prize, immediately called his manager and the manager spoke to me, asking if i'm in relation with the guy giving out the lucky draw as he scared we might be in cahoots. Then he showed me a lot of newspaper cutting saying that i have won the lucky draw, the prize would only show upon reaching the office and using the machine to scan. After much pestering, he brought me to therir office at Desa Tebrau.

Everything seems fine at the office, manager started explanation to me abotu the whole company, nothing fishy. The main problem is that when i acknowledge that i wanted to check out the prize, i would have to prepare RM3798 to pay for one of the company new products and some custom or govt GST. Upon checking the prize, they would collect my RM3798 and process the prize, collected within 30mins.

The prize that they are giving are prizes like toyota altis and holiday packages, each worthing at least RM6K. so no matter wad i would nv make a loss.

However after much thinking and all these cases of conman, i decided to give my frnd a call, a salon girl whom i regulared. she mentioned that all these are con tricks and upon paying, the prizes would turn out to be those useless worthless stuffs.

Just want to remind MCf pals who frequent JB, if u happen to meet these guys, dun waste ur time. I'm lucky to have wasted an hour and RM5 of petrol only. They might one day start to use abuse to bring out ur $$ b4 letting u off.

This is good sharing. Glad to know you didn't fall victim to this scam.

Guest Julio369
Neutral Newbie

wah, you sure brave to follow them to office....in JB.

what if they first rob you (ask for your ATM pin number,then dispatch one kaki go to S'pore to withdraw cash) & then murder (throw into plantation) & then drove off your car? [shakehead]

Turbocharged
There are already many such young men and women trying to stop every car at the Caltex petrol kisok exit nearest to custom.

bro, never thought u really believe at 1st to go with them.What if they are robbers ? it's dangerous to follow them to the office.

i was pestered by these pple almost everyday when i went into JB for biz trip last mth (i pumped before the custom [:p] )

never once did i stop to listen to them [nod][nod][nod]

in orchard timeshare scam, u can still play a fool with them...

in jb, better not... 过江龙斗不过地头蛇

I got conned many years ago also right here in Singapore (Orchard Road). It was some marketing for resort club.

(edited)
I was also approached at a Esso station.

That guy was so excited when he found I have "won". I told him "thats great news man! hey tell you what....I give the prize to you. steady bo?"

Then he realised I knew this tactic liao. But I was very courteous about it. And he thanked me and went away.

Cantonese got 1 saying "where got such a big frog anyhow jumping on the streets?". Actually I've never heard of such a tactic, but that "news" was too good to be true.

i also encountered the same thing (but in SG) and did the same thing (offered the prize to the guy). He got offensive and said "got prize also don't want so stupid!" So i told him back "did u realise u are scolding yourself cos i give u the prize u also don't want. DAMN STUPID!" He was speechless after that. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Ultramega